• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

lets talk about sexuality

She'll come round. At the end of the day she'll put her own daughter ahead of her prejudices.

Your dad's sound. Good on him.

Congratulations for being brave enough to tell them. :)

I am glad your dad is fine with sexuality.
My thoughts on your mum reaction. I think your mum needs time to get her head around this change in her life. As children are a big part of a parents life, even if they don't admit it.

It sound just like When a friend of mine Clare came out.
Her mum looked shocked and headed off into the kitchen to bake. Clare called me saying that she came out, and explained her mums reaction. So I popped around as Sarah (her mum) liked me and would always chat with me.

I walked into the kitchen and after a awkward silence Sarah spoke "well that Bleep me having grand kids, I thought you and Clare would get together and you know, umm, have a family. but this has Bleep it". After we had a chat where i joked about a item Sarah had in her Christmas dinner equipment draw, she laughed and admitted the future she saw that morning was very different to the one she saw that afternoon.

She loves Clare's girlfriend Deb and is now bugging them for 2 grand kids, one from each. and has commented to me and my wife a couple of times that i should give them a hand.

Her plan for grand kids did not die, it just ended up looking for a different way to get them :D

Mankey said:
a straight man who has nothing against any other forms of sexuality

Yes, I discovered that after our romantic night Travelodge last year. Best £20 I ever spent ;)

Kate, I'm sure she'll some around eventually. It might take time, but I'm sure she will in the end. I have a huge amount of respect for you having the balls to come out to your parents though. You're doing better than me :p It takes some serious guts to do that if you ask me, so nice one :)

I agree more of less with what others have said. It shouldn't need to be a big deal. It should just be something which naturally comes to light, without needing to make any arrangement and announcement unless you feel you want to.

Hi Kate,

Im openly gay and came out several years back to my parents. It didnt go well at all at the time. But now, we are closer than we ever have been, my parents both love my husband and our beautiful children. Its not an issue for us anymore, ever. It'll be alright in the long run, its just not easy for parents who only want the best for their kids.

I want to thank you guys so so much, I feel stronger knowing im not the only one and I have your support, I mean, I knew there were others out there but it's always nice to hear peoples stories and be reassured that it just as hard for everyone else too. Love you guys!
My mum has started speaking to me again, but seems to think im straight, she keeps tellinng me I should get back with Ben because we make a lovely couple.
Which we do, we're awesome together, if a little dysfunctional. But I think maybe this is her way of coping until she can accept the truth

Your mum will come around eventually. :)

My mum was pretty much the same (I 'came out' as bisexual to my parents two months ago), two months on and she's coming around a bit, she asks me about boys in my life more. She still doesn't like it. But at the end of your day they are your parents and nothing will stop them loving you. Sometimes they just need a while to be able to process everything and come to acceptance.

Just think, you've got over the biggest hurdle now! So the only way is up from here onwards. :)

I remember coming out to my parents as being transgender almost three years ago. The whole experience was awful, and took them both a very long time to come around. They would wish I was gay - or indeed anything but who I am. Eventually they started to come around as they saw I was being successful in my life. Now my mum treats me like her daughter, and is more than supportive.

These things can take time. Try won't just be ok with it overnight unless you are extremely lucky. But it'll happen.