• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

lets talk about sexuality

kateinabox

TS Member
Ok people, so I'm a lesbian and apparently the only open one on tst, although this might not be true. But I havent talked to my homophobic parents about it yet and I thought it would be cool if there was a topic where some of us could help eachother with daytoday gay issues, such as coming put (cos that is the hardest part). So it would be cool if some of you guys joined me in openly waving the rainbow flag, whether youre bi, gay, straight, anything!

I am not gay, or a woman for that matter, so utterly useless advice wise.

However, I do want to wish you all the best in what must be a difficult time for you Katie.

It's sad that gays have to "come out" and have it be a big deal. Emotionally it should be more along the lines of "Mum I'll have a coffee thanks" "I thought you liked tea" "Nah coffee please".

Sidenote, does it irritate anyone else how people talk about "coming out" as an atheist to their family?

Bear said:
It's sad that gays have to "come out" and have it be a big deal. Emotionally it should be more along the lines of "Mum I'll have a coffee thanks" "I thought you liked tea" "Nah coffee please".

Sidenote, does it irritate anyone else how people talk about "coming out" as an atheist to their family?

Yes there seems to be a lot of that on Reddit. Very strange, but then a lot of them seem to be in the bible belt in America.

But sadly I have not helpful advice for you, I am not a woman or gay. But I have known a few people that when they came out to their parents the parents response was "we have known for ages".

Hopefully when you feel the time is right you will get support for your family

I did have a crush on an older woman when I was about 18 and I remember talking to my very straight laced dad about it. He said 'I can't imagine anyone less likely to be gay than you', and to this day I still have no idea what he meant by that.

I cannot really offer advice but since we are talking about sexuality, my friend showed me this (fairly old) video the other day which may be of interest: http://www.upworthy.com/watch-these-straight-people-answer-a-question-gay-people-have-been-asked-for-years-6

I am by far the most open minded in my family, and usually end up clashing with the religious people in my family about most things. But I would be useless for advice as I am straight and a male.

I'm useless here as my dad is homophobic but i have no problem with it although I am straight and male. But good luck I hope you get a good reception from your parents! :)

I am a fully qualified fag hag and have been for 13years.

I have more gay friends than straight friends and every year without fail, I am at gay pride. I know this doesn't help much, but best of luck and there are always people here to talk to :) x

Thought this might be fitting. ..

ypupy7et.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well I'm bi and I've never explicitly come out to my parents (or anyone really* tbh, just a case of telling people if they ask...), I figure if I ever brought a guy home that'd be pretty self explanatory and in the meantime I don't refrain from contributing to conversation about hot male celebrities or whatever...

Not much help but that's what I'm doing and it seems to be going okay; don't see a need for me to sit them down and make it a serious issue :)

*in before pointing out my hilarious accidental coming out on the forum...

2ylwdg3.png

I agree with Mr Rollins. Although I know that these things are so much easier said than done. It makes sense to more enlightened people that telling your parents shouldn't make a difference to your relationship with them, but for them (and you) it obviously will because they feel so strongly/differently about it. When you say they're homophobic is that because they've already met gay people and disliked them? Or is it in the way they talk about it? I only ask because a friend of mine was pretty certain his father was going to disown him when he came out, but was more shocked when he eventually did and (after a bit of time to process it) his dad said it was fine, he seemed to completely change his attitude about it once he was 'face to face' with someone he loved being gay.

I feel this wonderful video deserves a mention.

Everyone should watch this.

Clicky

As a straight man who has nothing against any other forms of sexuality, I feel this is the greatest way to explain it, just a simple question.

Mankey said:
I feel this wonderful video deserves a mention.

Everyone should watch this.

Clicky

As a straight man who has nothing against any other forms of sexuality, I feel this is the greatest way to explain it, just a simple question.

I posted this yesterday, but yes it is rather good isn't it? :p

Where did you post that? Why did I not see it? Daft me! ::) My apologies, I only read the original post and then skimmed the rest!

I am not a lesbian but I am gay... so I kinda know what I am talking about :D

Luckily for me my pearent's didn't mind at all but it is to this day one of the scariest things you have to do. There is no easy way of doing it but you feel incredibly relieved and free as you won't have to hide the true you.

I had a friend that was in the exact same boat as you, his mum was very homophobic and so was his dad, he still lived at home but he fell in love with a man and you know the rest... When he came out his parents went crazy and threw him out, his dad wouldn't talk to him and he had to live with his Nan. Prepare for tears, arguments and the worst as anything less is a bonus. Personally if you know they are a bit homophobic I wouldn't bring your GF round. I would also have a back up plan before you tell them i.e. ensure you have a bag packed around a friends house incase the worst comes to worse. Luckily my friends parents have now excepted him but it took 2 years!

Good luck and hope it comes out alright in the end *pardon the pun*

Thanks alot guys! I think I'll wait til after my exams and then tell them, aftr all, I need a place to revise!
All your support has really helped and made me feel so much better, this is why I love tst!!!!!!
Much loves xoxo