• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London 2012 paralympics

It was actually rather that Channel 4 came in and placed a very high bid for showing them - the BBC obviously wasn't overly bothered as they didn't try to outbid. I read that 4's bid was the highest amount paid for showing the Paralympics in history...

Basically, the BBC didn't refuse - Channel 4 won the rights. And they look like they'll do a damn good job (their World Athletic Championships coverage was pretty strong too)

mrbrightside said:
It was actually rather that Channel 4 came in and placed a very high bid for showing them - the BBC obviously wasn't overly bothered as they didn't try to outbid. I read that 4's bid was the highest amount paid for showing the Paralympics in history...

Basically, the BBC didn't refuse - Channel 4 won the rights. And they look like they'll do a damn good job (their World Athletic Championships coverage was pretty strong too)

Yes, but you have to ask why they didn't pursue the winning of the rights further. It was either for the reasons I said, or purely based on finances - in which case that would annoy me given the rubbish they waste money on elsewhere.

London 2012 paralympics

It was possibly simply that Channel 4's bid was so high that they simply did not have the finances to match. I'm unaware of what the coverage plans would have been had the BBC held the rights though.

We've got a new world record in the men's 100m S7 backstroke courtesy of Jonathan Fox, who attended the same school as I did (albeit he was a couple of years above me). And Sarah Storey's set a world record in the women's C5 individual pursuit.

Tom said:
mrbrightside said:

Yes, but you have to ask why they didn't pursue the winning of the rights further. It was either for the reasons I said, or purely based on finances - in which case that would annoy me given the rubbish they waste money on elsewhere.
From what I understand, it was LOCOG who chose C4 over the BBC. The BBC did bid to be the Rights Holding Broadcaster for the Para's, but C4 was chosen instead by LOCOG, presumably because they were the higher bidder.

I think it's a real shame, firstly because C4's shocking coverage of the Opening Ceremony last night is hardly a good sign for the rest of the games, but mainly because such a large emphasis has been placed on trying to keep momentum going between the two Games, and yet changing broadcasters, in my opinion, does a lot to dampen that.

Anyone else watch Oscar Pistorius (The Blade Runner who entered the Olympics as well) last night? I really didn't expect that, also since I can't find it at the moment. When does the blind football begin?

Jonnie Peacock wins gold. Pistorious doesn't get into his stride, Olivera cheated. Nuff' said, loved dat Athletics.

His training partner and long jump winner Greg Rutherford oddly reminded me of him so much. A single versus double amputee isn't fair and measurements needs to be done from now on and a formal investigation. Hopefully they won't pull a Fifa on us.

Was he cursing or saying first when he won? :p

Really has been a great year for Britain for sport truly loving coldplay and Rihanna the stadium looks amazing would like to say thank you to those who have taken part all are true heros really shows you can achieve anything

Coldplay. With Rihanna. As if those athletes haven't been through enough.

Burning George Osbourne in a wickerman would have made for a much better ceremony.

I was reading a bit about the stadiums future earlier and I'm just wondering why they don't just use it as the ultimate concert venue. All the opening and closing ceremony's have shown its potential and I'd hate to see the whole thing torn down just for another Football stadium.

Re: London 2012 paralympics

Problem is, with the O2 and Wembley... there's quite a lot of big venues in London!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Blaze said:
Coldplay. With Rihanna. As if those athletes haven't been through enough.

Burning George Osbourne in a wickerman would have made for a much better ceremony.
Coldplay have got to be one of the best live bands around at the monument

London 2012 paralympics

^Definitely debatable, but more to the point, this is supposed to be a celebration of the Paralympics, not a Coldplay concert :|

Tim said:
True but this one has Pixels :p
I should imagine they'll be the first thing to be removed. Epic, epic system though, and all the more amazing when you're actually there, and they're right in front and behind of you :D

I actually got to go and see some of the athletics.I saw hannah cockroft win gold and lots of smashed world records!

Tim said:
I was reading a bit about the stadiums future earlier and I'm just wondering why they don't just use it as the ultimate concert venue. All the opening and closing ceremony's have shown its potential and I'd hate to see the whole thing torn down just for another Football stadium.

Sounds like a good idea, I reckon the stadium would be great venue for concerts if Wembley is unavailable, plus it has better access than Wembley.

Regards to it being demolished for another footie stadium, I believe that is what Tottenham Hotspur want to do, but I think a few other clubs (Such as West Ham) want to keep the stadium how it is.

I wouldn't like to see it demolished, It's a beautiful looking stadium that was part as one of the greatest Olympics ever. It's being used for the World Athletics championships in 2017 so it has a future for now

:)