• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London 2012 paralympics

josht

TS Member
Favourite Ride
bandit (movie park)
Personally the paralympics seems to have been slightly overshadowed so Would like to open up a Topic Showing support for true athletes

I don't think we need a separate topic for this, We'll probably discuss it once the regular Olympics are over :)

I think it's important to have a separate topic to highlight that the Paralympics are just as important as the Olympics. :)

Sam said:
I think it's important to have a separate topic to highlight that the Paralympics are just as important as the Olympics. :)

Fair point, They are just as important as the regular olympics. Just hope this doesn't turn into another debate! :)

I love some of the paralympic events.

Goalball, or 'blind football' is the best sport I've ever played. So fun and enjoyable, plus it turns out I've got quite a talent at it. :p

Doubt this'll turn into another debate, people wouldn't have anything against this that they wouldn't also have against the Olympic games, and discuss it in that topic. Also, I think there's probably much less negative feeling towards this as it's a celebration of a liberation minority group. :)

It's fantastic that an event like this is happening and it must truly be an inspiration to the minority who deal with disabilities on a regular basis. They're all proving that they can be just as able bodied and strong as us. I have plans to watch it in support thanks to the trailer shown on the Beeb.

Although I support it, I have a terrible feeling that once the Olympics close, there'll be little interest in this key event.

I personally believe that they should run side by side, as it's unfair that the Paralympics are going to be overshadowed so drastically. Although many will watch it, it won't receive the attention it deserves and it'll only end in comparison. ???

NastyPasty said:
Although I support it, I have a terrible feeling that once the Olympics close, there'll be little interest in this key event.

I personally believe that they should run side by side, as it's unfair that the Paralympics are going to be overshadowed so drastically. Although many will watch it, it won't receive the attention it deserves and it'll only end in comparison. ???
Couldn't agree more those taking part in the Paralympics are representing there own country's aswell and these are the true spirt of sports

Whilst I whole hearted agree with the para olympics and will enjoy a lot of the events (wheelchair basketball is my favourite) I think as much as possible should be done to encourage disabled athletes to compete in the actual Olympics if they are good enough.
The treatment of Oscar Pistorius (the blade runner) and the accusations of cheating and barriers put in his way is nothing short of disgraceful.
I am looking forward to seeing him in the men's 400m in a couple of weeks.

Just on the face of it, I agree, BigT. I understand the origins of the event, but I'm now not so sure why they can't be integrated into a single all-encompassing spectacle.

I think it'd bring huge benefits to paralympic sports for them to get the same coverage and the same crowds. How amazing would it be to see the wheelchair 100m final on the same day as the men's running 100m?

Obviously entrance criteria etc. are important in enabling a fair playing field, but I don't really see a problem integrating two sporting events, even keeping their separate banners?

NastyPasty said:

Unfortunately, it's an issue of capacity. Nearly every country takes part in the Olympics, in dozens of sports, and they only have one stadium for each. The Olympics is already stretched to capacity as it is, thus them holding some football matches this week.

The capacity of the venues couldn't cope with the Paralympics being held simultaneously, or with them being combined like Simon said, unless the whole thing was lengthened to four weeks. I'd say that's probably too long for a major sporting event. Maybe it'd be better to swap them around, have the Paralympics first so it doesn't feel like an anti-climax? :)

Sam said:
NastyPasty said:

Unfortunately, it's an issue of capacity. Nearly every country takes part in the Olympics, in dozens of sports, and they only have one stadium for each. The Olympics is already stretched to capacity as it is, thus them holding some football matches this week.

The capacity of the venues couldn't cope with the Paralympics being held simultaneously, or with them being combined like Simon said, unless the whole thing was lengthened to four weeks. I'd say that's probably too long for a major sporting event. Maybe it'd be better to swap them around, have the Paralympics first so it doesn't feel like an anti-climax? :)

That's actually not a bad idea Sam as it could be used to test the venues and security etc. as the crowds are normally smaller, but having said that if it was first then I could see it attracting quite big crowds.

I've just been discussing with my wife who as you may or may not know use a wheelchair fulltime so I asked her opinions of the Paralympics.

When she was younger she took part in the Stoke Mandeville Games which were the forerunner of the Paralympics ( a bronze in the 50m backstroke swimming). Yes she was incredibly proud to be able to take part and is glad there is a Paralympics for people who are athletically gifted but dont have the "normal" physical attributes to be able to compete with "normal" people,

Even she finds it tough though to answer whether they should be integrated with the main Olympics. This would lead to more coverage certainly but it would also lead to comparisons on times and the like.

Even she admits that she prefers to watch the main Olypics as they are the Best of the Best rather than the Best of a Subset of society. Its all about perception. Her backstroke of 30 years ago was probably faster than than my front crawl and I bet she could have given me a 25m advantage and still beat me.

You can bet we will be watching as much as we can in our household.

So then just half and hour to go. I'll be sure to be watching the Basketball and football due to the sheer entertainment that emits from them but I wish I could watch more if I wasn't at school for half of it! Good Luck Team GB!

Still a bit disgraced that the BBC aren't broadcasting then, they can enjoy their "Flowerpot Gang" tv program.

I tuned in just 20 minutes beforehand, it's been really impressive and passionate so far. I adore how they've been focusing on the science and technology too.

Stelios said:
Still a bit disgraced that the BBC aren't broadcasting then, they can enjoy their "Flowerpot Gang" tv program.

I imagine that rather than the BBC refusing to broadcast it, the organisers decided it'd be fair to split the two games between the two public service broadcasters, rather than one getting all the benefit of a home games?

I find it more likely that the BBC don't want to - in their mind - bore the public with the less exciting form of the Olympics in the same way that during the Olympics, they didn't want to bore the public with the less exciting form of international football by showing it on BBC One.