London Entertainment Resort: All Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Spark, 8th Oct 2012.

1. Ian

Ian TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Monster, Walygator
    The most Merlin sounding statement ever. There’s a world’s first to be had there, surely?

MattyH, Danny, CSLKenny and 1 other person like this.
  2. Islander

Islander TowersStreet Member

So the London Resort planning application has been submitted today (...I kinda thought it already had? Obviously not).

Some nice concept art etc. released, along with a description of the proposed areas. Of course this makes little difference to the likelihood of things going ahead lol.

Rojo, Skyscraper and Matt N like this.
  3. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    It’s certainly a new stage for the project; the DCO application was always the thing that’s been touted for years, but never come, so it’s nice to see it finally come! Hopefully it signals good things for the future!

You all know my opinions of this project very well by now, so I’d probably be best to leave this thread again until any other major development happens...

Skyscraper likes this.
  4. Ian

Ian TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Monster, Walygator
    I for one can’t wait to ride the Chance Toboggan in The Woods area...

[​IMG]

MakoMania, MattyH, WillPS and 10 others like this.
  5. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    That ride does look intriguing; unless they’ve created a new coaster model, the only other ride types I can think of with a spiral like that are the Zamperla Nineinverted (Puss in Boots’ Giant Journey at Universal Studios Singapore) and the Zamperla Volare. I actually think the former would be quite a nice fit for the area, but I suppose the latter would be reasonably unique to a large park like this.

6. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    None of these doodle coasters are representatives of actual ride models. Just what a concept artist thinks will look cool and sell an idea.

Once we see concept art with recognisable ride types (chain lifts, launch sections, recognisable elements ect.) then I'll get excited.

Last edited: 31st Dec 2020
    Rojo, AT86 and Ian like this.
  7. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I’d imagine we might see more semblance of recognisable ride types once we’re able to delve a little further into the nitty-gritty of the application.

In terms of what we could possibly expect coasters-wise, the Paramount park that is already under construction in Kunming will have the following coasters:
    • The Italian Job: Overdrive - Premier Rides family launch coaster thought to be inspired by the rides now known as Backlot Stunt Coaster at the ex-Paramount parks in North America.
    • Red Baron - GCI junior wooden coaster.
    • Tomb Raider: Escape from Emerald Mountain - Vekoma mine train.
    • Thunder Falls - Premier Rides water coaster.
    • Warp Drive - Launch coaster built by an unspecified manufacturer, though both Mack and B&M were specified as candidates in the environmental impact report.
    • Full ride lineup of each area of Paramount Kunming can be found here: https://www.themeparx.com/paramount-park-kunming/?p=24093#post24093
    I know that this park will likely have more rollercoasters than that, as the rendering shows considerably more, but just take that into account as an idea of what we could possibly expect here.

Last edited: 31st Dec 2020
  8. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I've just done a quick count, if you believe the concept art there'll be at least 10 coasters. Not going to be the case.

Jb85 and Matt N like this.
  9. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    This could well denote their long-term plans; based on the fact that there are two entrance pavilions, it seems to go up to the opening of gate 2 in 2029 at very least. I’d imagine the park may well start off smaller and gradually grow to the size that this image implies. During the consultation stage, they said that on the basis of the Resort opening in 2024, their full visitor predictions are not expected to be attained until 2038, so I’d imagine that that may be how far into the long-term they’re looking here, as well.

Another very interesting thing I noticed; it would appear that one of the entrance pavilions has a French flag over it, so could we be seeing one of the gates themed to French film and TV?

10. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    Of course it will be a long term concept and not opening day.

But even so very few parks hit double figures in coaster numbers. Most that do are Six Flags or Cedar Fair style coaster parks. Europa is the only park I can think of that has more than 10 and great themeing as well, but it's a huge park that can fit both.

I'm not saying this concept art is proof the project won't happen. But I am saying if it does it won't look anything like this.

Ian likes this.
  11. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I’d imagine that the current image could possibly just be a placeholder to generate initial interest. I’d imagine that the planners they’re trying to appeal to are far more interested in the specifics they’ve already specified, like how many jobs it’ll bring to the area, and how much money it’ll add to the British economy and so forth.

Tim likes this.
  12. Funcone

Funcone TowersStreet Member

Apparently, one of the planning inspectors at the local council has a bit of a thing about Chance Tobogans.

MaxPower, Jb85, MattyH and 3 others like this.
  13. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Obviously hasn't ridden one ...

14. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Yh because in the concept art there isn't a lift hill on the Woodie or a launch

15. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
  16. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

This is looking more likely to happen than before
    Can’t see the 300+ coasters being installed though ! ;-)

17. Prof Burp

Prof Burp TowersStreet Member

I am ecstatic that England is finally getting a Disney Theme Park!! When this attraction opens I will definitely try and be a frequent visitor.

18. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Sorry...has somebody turned up with a big bag of cash or something???
    What exactly has changed?
    There is no funding for this anywhere, as far as I have heard.
    The consultation has nothing really new, and the agencies and councils have all commented on this consultation being a repeat of the 2015 consultation, with no significant change...and there is still insufficient detail in the plans to make any further comment.
    Read most of the report, not very impressed with the preparation, unrealistic prediction of numbers, progress schedules completely unrealistic and so on.
    Show me the money...we are eight years down a financial cul de sac, in an economic crisis caused by Brexit and Coronavirus...(no mention in the document!)... still no outline planning.
    Not going to happen.

Alsty, jon81uk, MaxPower and 3 others like this.
  19. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

Plans go in, plans get approved, land now has development permission so is worth a lot more money, land is sold with planning permission, amendments are submitted for other things, other developments actually occur.

The end.

Alsty, James, MaxPower and 2 others like this.
  20. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Yup, just don't expect any coasters in the endzone.