• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Entertainment Resort: All Discussion

They have involvement with quite a lot of films, including Indiana Jones, Mission: Impossible, Transformers...

But it's hard to say where they stand with things like Disney.

I've also heard that the park would have a focus on British IPs, so I wouldn't say a James Bond or Doctor Who ride would be out of the question.

There's plenty unique stuff out there that could be made awesome with the right investment.

The location is absolutely spot on as well. Most places in Britain have good connections to London - as do most major cities in Europe.

This is an exciting project and I sorely hope it gets the backing it needs.

Other IPs that are published by Paramount include many Dreamworks pictures, including How To Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda (although Merlin's relationship with Dreamworks may affect this), as well as Titanic.

There's Halloween potential with 'Friday the 13th' and 'Paranormal Activity' too.

Equally they have a hand in the Transformers franchise...

Paramount's name appeared at the start of the Avengers too, but it seems they were bought out by Disney. Then again, Universal have Marvel Island so I don't get how that works.

Judging by what use to be at Paramount's old North American parks (Which are California's Great America, King's Island, King's Dominion, Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland) Had stuff like Nickelodeon themed rides (like Rugrats for example). Also, they had Top Gun themed coasters at CGA, Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds, and King's Island. The Backlot Stunt Coasters at CW, KI, and KD were previously themed to The Italian Job. And The Crypt at King's Dominion used to themed to Tomb Raider, although it's the early 2000s films and not the video games

Paramount are distributing the upcoming Spongebob and TMNT films as well. So if they still own all of them IPs, then they have a bit to work with.

Paramount's name appeared at the start of the Avengers too, but it seems they were bought out by Disney. Then again, Universal have Marvel Island so I don't get how that works.
Disney now own all the Marvel rights. Universal is allowed to have Marvel Island as they signed an exclusivity deal (before Disney bought the rights) preventing anyone else in the surrounding area using Marvel characters - and this deal remains valid despite Disney owning Marvel.

It's all rather complicated but basically you won't see Marvel stuff outside of Disney (or Universal) these days - but Universal cannot expand further with their Marvel stuff. I think. It's been a while since I read that book on Universal Studios history :p

In the London centric view point it seems ideally placed but quite a lot of the population will live a long way from this park. If the theming is good and the rides are good it will be what we need, but it won't have the Orlando effect as you can build what you like in this country but you can't change the weather.
Although you can't change the weather, you can put a large amount of attractions indoors. Even a roof-like structure covering the area would be possible (albeit unlikely.)

US Orlando hosts a multitude of attractions indoor, only RRR springs to mind as properly 'outdoor.'

You only have to look at Diagon Alley the past week with swarms of people about in the pouring rain. Yes, it will never get as cold as here, but if this really is a top-notch park, I believe people wouldn't be completely put off by the weather, especially if there is a large proportion of the attractions under-cover/indoors.

It's only the Merlin/Tussauds parks where they haven't really been built thinking about the weather. Although I know a lot of the issues are planning restrictions with buildings.
Disneyland Paris doesn't have any water rides as they knew they couldn't run them in the winter, there are covered arcades running along the back of main street and there is also a lot of indoor attractions at the Walt Disney Studios park Paris.
In Orlando both Disney and Universal build many indoor queuelines as they can be air conditioned then or at least shaded. California has different heat (less humid) but they still think about how to build and ensure shade.
Hopefully if Paramount are looking to open all year they will be able to build indoor attractions that are suitable for the winter (both in terms of rider comfort and maintenance, I know some coasters can't work in the cold).

It's incredibly cleverly located as well because you can visit from all over Europe, which Europa Park proves will happen even for an independent with enough high quality attractions.

Totally agree: I use HS1 a-lot and i dont think those who say 'its south based' quite get how easy it will be to get too! You can get trains to Kings Cross/Euston and walk to St. Panc. From there its a <20 minute train journey. A quick hop on a bus (i have posted before nearby bluewater has 60 an hour). And bingo you there.

By car the road infrastructure is good although the Bean (Bluewater) interchange on to the M2 will need improvement as when Bluewater empty's (13,000 car park spaces) it can get a little busy, however good intelligent signs post a different route when busy. The M2/M25 junction has been markedly improved with flyovers and should cause no issues.

To get from Europe its easy - again getting off at Ebbsfleet international. - < 2 hours from Paris. and again by car all you need to do is drive down the M2 to Dover. Or go to Folkstone. (30-40 minutes).

Unlike towers this can actually be a place that puts good to its word 'public transport', and not just use it to make more money from parking. When traveling to the area you can also have a great extended stay experience with shopping in the nearby Bluewater or having a day out in London so trips will be worth staying on for (esp whole family)

Totally agree: I use HS1 a-lot and i dont think those who say 'its south based' quite get how easy it will be to get too!

I think it's obvious even for someone further up North that this location is damn near perfect. You've also put together a compelling argument for even greater success for this park.

This could finally be the international quality attraction we know the UK can use, London is definitely missing that, it annoys me that everything can be so "London-centric" but in this case it needs to be there.

London is one of the world's top cities, it can easily handle a huge international visitor attraction of this nature perched on the edge of London/Europe and easy flights away from the US.

I just hope they go balls out to make this special. There's no reason to bottle this and have half a go. A global worldwide visitor attraction could really be spectacular. If they could build a HP land of some description they would be RAKING it in!

This is something that seemed to pass WAAAAAY over Varney's head. Lack of real bottle and ambition.

Leeds (which is north England but not the most northerly point of England and still a good few hours from Southern Scotland, a train to london is about 2.5hrs, at best the train if booked months in advance is about £40 return but usually closer to £120 return.

So at best my journey will be 3.5 hours each way (no chance of walking off one train arriving at KC and walking onto another train about to leave so factoring in some waiting around) and cost me a fair wack before I pay to get in. There will be a population enough to support the park but it's not fantastically placed for anywhere north of Birmingham.

There was a woodie on the concept art at the back, if it was to be built what could it be themed as because unless it was an indoor ride I wouldn't know what to theme it as.

Leeds (which is north England but not the most northerly point of England and still a good few hours from Southern Scotland, a train to london is about 2.5hrs, at best the train if booked months in advance is about £40 return but usually closer to £120 return.

So at best my journey will be 3.5 hours each way (no chance of walking off one train arriving at KC and walking onto another train about to leave so factoring in some waiting around) and cost me a fair wack before I pay to get in. There will be a population enough to support the park but it's not fantastically placed for anywhere north of Birmingham.
But if it gets built and proves to be a genuine multi-day destination with immersive environments and rides and fantastic entertainment than a 3.5 hour journey each way would seem extremely worthwhile.

Think how far it is for Brits to go to European parks... This is on the doorstep of northerners in comparison.

People don't go abroad for a day.

If the ticket was £30 and I got a cheap £50 night at a B&B here is the cost

Ticket - £30
Trains - £130
Bus - £2
Hotel - £50
Taxi to train station/ parking - £5

£207

That's not cheap, does this mean it won't draw.... No, but my point is this will have to be AT LEAST Disney Paris standard to make it worth while after the novelty dies down. That's not cheap when you consider they need to build the infrastructure as well as the rides. There hasn't been a successful big theme park built from scratch in the UK. All parks are developed from zoo's or other existing tourist infrastructures. Plus it STILL hasn't got all the funding it needs.

I may sound like I don't want this to succeed, I really really really do (only way the parks I aLready love will improve) but I think there is a risk of seing this project with rose tinted glasses. It's plan may be great but what will the budget (and the demands of all those investors) result in. At the end of the day this will have a similar funding structure that Merlin has already, lots of investors demanding a return.

Here's hoping I'm wrong!

If you were to drive down, that would make it a lot cheaper, and getting a coach would be even cheaper as you could go for the day.

People from up north go to Legoland/Thrope/Harry Potter Studio so I do not see why this would be any different.

Ian

Reactions: Rob
I know people don't go abroad for a day, hence why I said if this proves to be a "genuine multi day attraction" that journey would be worthwhile.

Hell - it's the kind of trip I have to make to Towers already! :)

This has to be an international quality attraction to be worthwhile, but given the transport links it has, and visitor numbers to London, there's no reason why it cannot be a resounding success.

With the correct big commercial interest and backing it will work.

Hell - it's the kind of trip I have to make to Towers already! :)

Exactly. Being from Glasgow, my trips to Towers are 4.5 hours each way and I'm happy to do it because, despite its frustrations, I love it.

If they can deliver on this new park/complex then people will justify the cost to go. Definitely sounds promising so far. I'd be up for a trip even if it would take me 10 hours to get there!