• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Long term development plan

What mrbrightside said, none of the other bullet points have a semicolon before the 'and'. Equally, what would be the point in them putting the 'and' if they were going to add it in later? They'd just add everything later, including the 'and'.

Where are people reading that Towers Street will be removed. I read it as they will build a second entrance, close Towers Street, knock it down and redevelop it - then open back up a fresh new Towers Street, with it being the main entrance and the second entrance being aimed at hotel/lodge guests. It's pretty ambiguously worded.

I don't think it's feasible for them to build the lodges and a third hotel without building a second entrance, to be frank.

They need a second hotel only entrance going into FV (like EP Have a separate hotel entrance in Spain) but day guests should enter va Towers Street.

As shown in Figure 7.2, previous and planned investments at the Park give rise to certain changes in demand. The previous and proposed major investments at the park during the period identified are as follows:
1) „Air‟ opened during 2002;
2) Changed ownership at the end of 2007 resulted in proactive marketing;
3) Replacement of the „Corkscrew‟ coaster (opening of TH13TEEN coaster) and extended opening hours during 2010;
4) New roller coaster during 2013;
5) Large indoor ride during 2016;
6) Replacement thrill ride and potential third hotel during 2018; and
7) New large coaster and indoor attraction during 2019.

Looking back on this statement, and considering the lack of some notable rides (Rita and N:ST mainly), it is clear that these new rides will be on a major, major scale. All will either be large, 10 million+ coasters or exquisitely themed, expensive dark rides or similar. I'm thinking that the 2016 ride will be in coaster corner, as this seems to be the most likely situation, with it possibly being a dark ride of some sort, a flat or possibly even a indoor coaster.

The references to 2018 tell me that this could be the creation of the new entrance to the park- due to the new hotel possibly being made. As well as this, it looks as if the ride will be either a replacement to the Flume, or the Blade and Ripsaw. On the Flume site, it will either be a coaster or a water ride, to me, looking at the size. This could be interchangeable with the 2016 plan (ie. if that is a dark ride, this will be a coaster, and vice versa). If it is the replacement of the Blade and Ripsaw, I'm either thinking a coaster- could even be the cross-valley one, should it go into the heart of FV (which would look fantastic) or a large dark ride. Thoughts are, new flat rides wouldn't be major enough to be included in this plan- as I've mentioned above- and so could fill in gaps between years, which is why I don't believe this to happen.

2019 coaster is most likely SW8, and possibly the 4D coaster, in FV. The only reasons to suggest this is not the case is if: the technology is not developed enough or it's built in one of the locations above. Most likely to be built in the Air car-park, with the possible hotel entrance/entertainment centre connecting this with the hotel.

And just a bit on the cross-valley coaster, and the one I find most intriguing. If it's built, it will be either a Intamin or B&M hyper- I just don't see anything else happening. The woodie is not going to happen, and the scale of the valley means it should be a 200 foot+ drop, according to James' figures on the first page. The bottom of the valley (I believe, it's phrased really badly as a "camel-back"- which is very confusing) is 40 m (or about 130 feet) below the highest point at Dark Forest, with the lift-hill possibly going to tree height- which is approximately 70 feet- making about 200 feet. Possibly going into the middle of FV- as mentioned above- could be a difference from the planned woodie- as the turnaround (from memory) would be where the Air car-park coaster is (I think). The coaster would probably be given more justice as a Intamin- and would increase the number of Intamin Forest- but a B&M would be fine by me. It would probably be one of the most highly rated coasters in the world, possibly even more so than Nemesis, if done well. Almost a Boulder Dash sort of coaster, but steel, is what I'm imagining. Probably won't be built before 2019, but still would be worth the wait.

Anyway, this whole plan looks hugely exciting, although we'll be lucky if two of the above happen, but they are all fairly realistic. Looks great nevertheless.

Things of note:
- Replacing Ripsaw, Blade and The Flume
- New coaster sites mentioned are east and north of nemesis, cross valley, coaster corner
- Building a budget hotel east of ATH
- Moving the southern car parks (G) to the overflow car parks/meadow with cellular surfacing
- Adding a new entrance to where Duel is
- 2 Large attractions in 2016 and 2019
- 6 Medium/Large attractions added between 2016 - 2019
- Coaster sites heigh range between 180-207m
- Cross Valley ride: 201m high point DF side, 163m camelback, 170m high FV side
- AT purchased "The Mill" in 1974 and considered building accommodation with it
- In the second phase of the Long Term Plan the connection between the existing hotel area and the theme park would be reinforced with indoor and outdoor attractions
- Implementing ATH extension which has had planning excepted
- Looking to restore the garden conservatory
- Using the Towers as a Scare Attraction, "Similar seasonal or permanent uses of parts of the Towers and other listed buildings will continue to be explored both for public and employee use"
- Locating an entertainment area south of the lodges and north of ATH.
- A sample length of the AIR track has been retrospectively filled with kiln-dried sand
- Oblivion Noise: enclosing the “drop” in a part-transparent tunnel and the erection of a free-standing semi-enclosing parabolic noise barrier above and below the track, between the underground tunnel exit and breaking area. It is understood that enclosing the “drop” area was found to be impracticable but that the track barrier system is still under consideration.

Oblivion Noise: enclosing the “drop” in a part-transparent tunnel and the erection of a free-standing semi-enclosing parabolic noise barrier above and below the track, between the underground tunnel exit and breaking area.

It would be interesting if this was a themed feature rather than just a blahblahblah bit of blatant barrier. Could really add something to the area if they ever did go ahead with it, along with the practical uses.

I don't believe it to be a theming feature, but what it says, a sound barrier, other coasters have these,

example Silver Star at Europa Park.

c78ea7713a9141b79c29016.png

Blue Fire was to have these too, but turned out quiet enough that it wasn't required, there's even spaces on the supports for it to be fitted.

Yeah the semi-transparent tunnel idea is probably more interesting both practically and aesthetically but they state on the plan that it won't happen due to various unnamed reasons.

For goodness sake, enclosing Oblivion's drop in a tunnel is the most ridiculous suggestion I have ever heard.

When will they just accept that theme parks create noise and quite frankly the small amount of people who live in proximity should just put up with it. The park is a huge economic resource for the local area and the noise is far outweighed by the positives created in terms of generating income and emplyment.

I think the covered drop statement is just lip service to say they have looked at the problem

Why am I getting a very horrible sense of Déjà vu:

junglecoastera.JPG

Enclosing Oblivions drop for noise reduction = very, very, very bad idea.

Thank god they decided it is impractical.

People are getting mixed up a bit, from what i'm reading, on the LTDP - they're not persuing the high investment strategy, which included a budget hotel?

The accomodation they do want is log cabins and/or 3-4* (not budget) hotel, with ATH extention.

I think the use of the towers shouldn't be read into scare attraction either. Yes, they currently use it as a seasonal attraction. However I believe they seemingly want it to be used, like offices or an attraction in itself (like a grand stately home style), going along the lines of restoration and preservation rather than theme park.

Its all very exciting this. Alot of people moan about lack of inverstment, so it seems that they are at least looking at investing into the park finally.

I have not been this year, the last time i was there was scarefest 2011. So ive no idea how the park looks at the momement. But from what i could see the park did need some investing.

Sonic can go it looks very out of place where it is. It may have worked better in xsector or fv. but its just an eye sore at the min.

New entrance. After staying in the hotel last year. Getting on and off the monorail was a pain. A new entrance just for the hotel and the log cabins ( which looks like Hobbiton) would improve this for me. The monorail is special for the day visit, but after 4 times in 1 day its not that thrilling. However to scrap towers steet would be a huge mistake. The view of the house and lake from the entrance is an amazing sight to see when you enter. Plus its a good way to exit after a long day.

New coasters. This is always going to happen no matter what or people would just simply not come. I would like to see a longer ride at the towers. so the cross valley ride maybe what im looking for,and the air car park would be great place to stick a coaster too. It would give fv a boost and also look better then staring at car park from the air queue.

The flume I can take or leave. It looks its age and to be honest they can now do a better job then they could in 80's.

Some people on here also seem to have some bad blood with the people of Farley. Now the couple who are taking merlin to court did live there before lets not forget. Its ok saying just move but if i had there sort of money i would love to have a house soemwhere like Farley. I can understand why the noise os a major problem. A summers day, sat in the garden with tea and crumpets and all you can hear is screeming. I'd be pretty annoyed too. To say they shouldjust except it well you try it, people who have moved there in the last 10 years should just put up with it however. They knew what to expect when they moved in. I hope that with new technology that they can over come the noise problem. To loose rides because of this would be nothing short of a disaster. To block Oblivion in, if it ment keeping it. I would take it. As long as it didnt ruin the ride or indeed the view from the lift climb hill.

All in all. This is great news. After a year or watching the news on towers street about closing for weather and the fuss about refunds. NsubT being rubbish (although im sure people were expecting too much) the monorail incident, closing of skyride, submission and enterprise. Only to keep them open. Im glad to say that at last some good news has come about.

I really like the news of the Flume being replaced, it needs to go sooner rather than later! Blade and Ripsaw could be so much better, frankly anything cast aside from Thorpe Park would be better. As far as plans to go rid of sonic spinball, I'd prefer it to go behind Duel, in the dark with a scary theme. Bu that's not going to happen.

I don't think Sonic Spinball has a future, its capacity in my eyes at least is far too low.

Jonathan said:
There's also Coaster Corner, but that might not go down too well with residents of Alton village.

Surely that'd be the whole point of using up space with a indoor ride, TH13TEEN could of been soundproof if it was all indoors, but of course that would take some magic of the ride away. But it could of easily fit in CC and as it's a quiet ride could of fit indoors, CC being a large space perfect for a large indoor attraction is only logical.

And wow, the future is looking bright, but I can only wonder if the SEGA deal will be extended until 2015 considering that will be a medium investment year and I'm sure it's replacement would not be a cheap job. Loving the ambition though, if only the future looked as Bright for more neglected Merlin parks such as Gardaland and Chessie.

I think they could easily replace Spinball in a low/mid investment year. Tussauds bought the thing during their run of low investment years when they lost their investors in the first place :p

The odds of it going to scrap are highly unlikely, and given it's on a rather flat plot little modification would need to be made to put it somewhere else. It's not that old really (Just flimsy in the first place :p ), so I'm sure they'd be able to get a bit of money for it selling it to another park (Thinking somewhere on the scale of LWV, Oakwood, or similar), which could be put towards a replacment, reducing how much extra money needs to be invested :)

They spent around £3.5M buying Spinball when they had it. I'd imagine AT could find a buyer willing to give them around the £1M mark for it, given its condition and ease to build. If they were going to spend around £2-3M in a low year on a new ride, then the profits from the sale would give them a nice lump to play with for a new kiddie/family coaster. Sub-Terra cost £4M on its own (Presumably before V.2, which probably upped costs a bit), and Ice Age came in the same year, so Alton are willing to spend a fair bit in a mid year if Merlin give them the money. Lows could still bring good additions to the park :)

Ian said:
I think they could easily replace Spinball in a low/mid investment year. Tussauds bought the thing during their run of low investment years when they lost their investors in the first place :p

The odds of it going to scrap are highly unlikely, and given it's on a rather flat plot little modification would need to be made to put it somewhere else. It's not that old really (Just flimsy in the first place :p ), so I'm sure they'd be able to get a bit of money for it selling it to another park (Thinking somewhere on the scale of LWV, Oakwood, or similar), which could be put towards a replacment, reducing how much extra money needs to be invested :)

They spent around £3.5M buying Spinball when they had it. I'd imagine AT could find a buyer willing to give them around the £1M mark for it, given its condition and ease to build. If they were going to spend around £2-3M in a low year on a new ride, then the profits from the sale would give them a nice lump to play with for a new kiddie/family coaster. Sub-Terra cost £4M on its own (Presumably before V.2, which probably upped costs a bit), and Ice Age came in the same year, so Alton are willing to spend a fair bit in a mid year if Merlin give them the money. Lows could still bring good additions to the park :)

Or, make it even better by enclosing the ride. It'd be good all round - lower noise levels, ride experience would be improved, less of an eyesore (if the building was well themed enough) and it could be marketed as a new 'experience.'

It wouldn't be possible to enclose Spinball without creating one of the most oddly shaped and ugly looking warehouses imaginable. If you look at most enclosed rides they have a compact design that either fits a cylinder, sphere, pyramid or simple warehouse box. The black Hole is a good example; compact spiral lift hill with all the high points inside the tents dome and the lower sections taking up a square base area. Spinball does not fit a pattern like this. It sprawls all over the place with numerous high points. The only way to enclose such a ride without making it look like a mess would be to cover the resulting cluster of buildings in a Disneyesque level of themeing, something I can neither see them affording or being able to do.

Then you have the issue that if the ride is to stay in its current home it is right in front of the towers. Also if you were just to build a shed around its current location you’d have the same leaking and structural issues Disaster Transport has as it won’t be a proper building.

Even without these issues indoor spinning rides are apparently very nauseous as you have no way of spotting (your brains way of using what it sees to position you in reality) which makes even the smallest spin muck around with your sense of balance. This doesn't make the ride more intense just more sickly.