Long term development plan

Discussion in 'Planning Portal' started by Scott, 8th Nov 2012.

1. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    Re: Re: Long term development plan

Perhaps you're right, but surely as a 'new attraction' they could afford to spend a lot on theming and the building as there's nothing to spend hardware wise?

With the correct lighting levels I can't see how a spinning coaster would be more nauseous than other coasters in the dark including those with inversions. In the pitch black then maybe but that probably wouldn't be the case if they did ever attempt to do this.

2. ASturge21

ASturge21 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Anything but Thirteen
    From 2015 I think it is safe to assume we are not getting an indoor attraction next year.

Posted 7th Sep 2015
  3. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

Bump - are we due another one of these shortly

Posted 8th Aug 2017
  4. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I just had a read through the version of the LTDP submitted in 2012, and I had a couple of thoughts:
    • Other than the ATH extension, the removals of Ripsaw and The Flume and the lodge development (albeit an edited version), not much of this plan has actually surfaced. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    • They should really give the council a new attendance estimate, as unless a miracle happens, the park probably won't hit 3.3 million guests in 2019. For reference, the park attracted 1,980,000 guests in 2016 according to the 2016 Theme Index.
    • We never saw any of the areas they mentioned get redeveloped as far as I'm aware. I believe they mentioned areas "to the east of Air, the east of Nemesis, the west of CCL and the east of Duel". Although "to the west of CCL" could materialise if the rumoured CCL redevelopment happens in 2019.

Posted 6th Sep 2017
  5. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

I think it was clear back then that much of this was pie in the sky even back then.

I doubt we'll see another one anytime soon as Merlin will be desperate to bury this one out of the memories of investors. That's because it's almost the perfect illustration of their self inflicted failure of running Towers this last decade. If challenged I'm sure they'd come up with a diplomatic excuse along the lines of "unforeseen changes in the economy resulted in a need to change strategy to achieve cost based synergies..... blah blah".

They're probably already selling SW8 as "continueing to invest heavily in the future of the park", when we all know in real terms SW8 is actually a cut!

Rojo, JB1985, Matt N and 2 others like this.
    Posted 9th Sep 2017
  6. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Sorry to bump the thread, but shouldn't we be receiving a new LTDP some time soon, as the current one ends this year?

I must say, the LTDP makes for rather intriguing reading. Merlin's plans for Alton Towers must have changed significantly over the last 9 years, as few of the LTDP's contents actually came to fruition...

7. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

I think the plan was an indication of ideas the park had as opposed to a form development plan. A fair few items have come to fruition - surprisingly for me is the lack of development behind air. I think the management at merlin have decided the capex investment in expanding into this area is clearly not worth the gain

Replacing a ride is cheap in comparison to a brand new area

Matt N likes this.
  8. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    One might conclude that in a number of cases removing a ride and not replacing it was deemed to be even cheaper.

Jb85, Matt.GC and djtruefitt like this.
  9. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

I guess the smiler crash had a massive impact on towers, as all we have really seen since then is a lot of things removed, not just rides but also shops, food outlets, game stalls and entertainment and not a lot of new investments, other than Wicker Man it’s been very low scale investments.

Hopefully now things have picked up we might see a new plan and new investments.

Matt N likes this.