• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

M&D's Incident June 2016

I wonder if anyone will buy Tornado, given it is a unique model.

The only thing good for Tornado is for the scrapyard, don't know why would anyone would want that?! That said, I'm pretty sad about Tsunami as it was my first inversion coaster.

At the same time, with M&D's gone...that it's for Scotland on the theme park map, pretty sad though actually as we'll now have to piggyback down south to experience theme parks :confused1:

IIRC It was a contractor safety "expert" who got charged with criminal negligence after he signed off on the ride without even looking at it. Might be talking out my arse so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

IIRC It was a contractor safety "expert" who got charged with criminal negligence after he signed off on the ride without even looking at it. Might be talking out my arse so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you are right. Except from what I heard the 'expert' would simply look and the ride and, if it wasn't missing a bit of track, he'd pass it off. How M&D's have gotten away with all this is astonishing. Just wish someone would buy the place and make a decent theme park.:(

No, you are right. Except from what I heard the 'expert' would simply look and the ride and, if it wasn't missing a bit of track, he'd pass it off. How M&D's have gotten away with all this is astonishing. Just wish someone would buy the place and make a decent theme park.:(

Same way LA's got away with cladding buildings in flammable material, self certification and it's lack of secondary checks and balances. Jimmy says it's safe, so it's safe, no need to verify what he says because Jimmy said it's safe.

It is a shame because it is in a lovely location aswell! It has lots of potential.

From BBC news today:

M&Ds Motherwell theme park fined £65,000 over Tsunami ride crash http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47472814

The owners of a Lanarkshire theme park ride which crashed injuring nine people, have been fined £65,000 over health and safety breaches.

Seven children were among the injured at M&Ds in Strathclyde Park in June 2016 when the Tsunami rollercoaster derailed at 40mph.
Five gondolas plunged 30ft to the ground.
M&Ds pleaded guilty to charges relating to the Health and Safety at Work Act at Hamilton Sheriff Court on Friday.

The theme park would have been fined £100,000 but for their guilty plea.

Sheriff Thomas Millar told the court a "place of enjoyment and entertainment" on that day became "a place of terror".

The charge alleged that M&D Leisure had failed to ensure that the rollercoaster was maintained, in efficient working order and in good repair.

It said weld repairs on axles of the passenger cars were inadequate, leading to the failure of the axle suspension on the five-car yellow train.

The car came off the track and fell to the ground "to the danger of the lives of seven children and two adults."

After the judgement, Matthew Taylor, a director of M&D's issued a statement.
He said: "My brother Douglas and I have been in business together for more than 50 years and this is the first incident of this type that we've ever been involved in.

"We are devastated as both a family and a business, and our heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by the accident.
"Our customers shape every part of our business and our thoughts have always been with those who were injured and their families.

"We've co-operated fully with the inquiries at every stage to ascertain what caused this accident and how to prevent it happening again in the future.

"Each and every ride within the theme park has always been subject to a daily safety check and annual independent inspection.
"We have now introduced a new, more detailed, maintenance recording system which records any work carried out to ensure that repairs can be traced accurately."
The Health and Safety Executive completed a 15-month investigation into the crash in September 2017.

A report was then sent to the Crown Office but until now no-one has faced prosecution over the incident.

Several victims have received compensation payouts, while others are still in the process of pursuing claims.

In October 2017, it emerged M&Ds received a £1.4m insurance payout for the closure of the Strathclyde Park site.

Nine passengers, most of them children, were on board the inverted rollercoaster when five gondolas detached from their rails at a bend and fell to the ground.

Among those who were injured were a 12-year-old boy with chest, abdominal and leg injuries and an 11-year-old boy who had serious arm and hand injuries.

The Tsunami, which travelled at up to 40mph through corkscrew turns and loops, never reopened and it was finally dismantled in February 2017.

It emerged that an inspector who passed the ride as safe 16 days before the accident had been subsequently banned.

The theme park was shut for investigations but a partial reopening was sanctioned just four days after the accident.

It was fully reopened to the public just over three weeks later.

Robert McCutcheon was one of the first on the scene after the gondolas crashed to the ground.

A former paramedic, the 31-year-old from Castle Douglas in Dumfries and Galloway, jumped straight into the aftermath.

He told the BBC Scotland news website: "It was a free-for-all. There was no organisation and no response from staff.

"I went under the cars to a young boy who was in a bad way."

Mr McCutcheon stayed with an 11-year-old boy whose wrist was snapped. He plugged the bleeding artery in his arm and immobilised his head.

But he said the scene was chaos with no co-ordination to the initial rescue efforts.
He said: "At one point some parents at the scene started rocking the collapsed ride to try to free other victims, but didn't realise they were putting the boy at further risk.

"Myself and another man, Ian Holmes, stayed there until everyone was taken to hospital."
Mr McCutcheon expected the theme park to be closed almost immediately.

He said: "I am surprised it has taken this long. I would have expected it to be shut down and M&Ds to face severe consequences regarding health and safety and at the very least heavy financial consequences.

"I have never been back."