• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ma Garrita's - Cocktails Made in China?

OUTRAGE at a business buying stock cheaply and selling it for high profit?

Because that never happens...

I wish Towers got in proper mixologists like TGI's do who have flair and who can make amazing cocktails then I'd be happy to pay Towers prices!

Benzin said:

Outrage that the cocktails are now of a lower quality yet more expensive, if they dropped the price and maintained a similar profit margin as previously then other than it looking a bit pants at what is meant to be a premium product hotel i wouldn't mind.

It's the have their cake and eat it attitude that is distasteful.

When you stay in a hotel of the calibre of Splash or ATH though, and in particular Ma Garita's bar giving the impression of being a cocktail bar, you do kind of expect the cocktails to be at least mixed to order

Benzin said:

Outrage that it isn't even a proper cocktail you're now buying at now more expensive prices.

Please note my post was aimed at this...

Ben said:
Quick nose on the Funkin website adds further insult to the situation.

A sachet of the premade cocktail costs between 80pence and 90pence - and Im sure buying a large amount Alton get these even cheaper.

Though I don't really care as I never have the cocktails, and the real question is would people have noticed without the sachet information?

As a Cocktail Bartender myself I thought I would step in and shed some light on this - i've worked in two bars and both have, to an extent, used Funkin for their Cocktails. The first I worked in was fairly middle of the road and had fresh limes and lemons for use in all cocktails but Funkin and flavoured Vodkas for everything else. Considering the price was £4.25 for all cocktails and it often got very busy, this was acceptable, but their plans to introduce a pre mix Margarita Syrup did not go down well with the staff. The second bar was much more upmarket and was charging more for the drinks, here there was a much greater array of fresh fruit but Funkin was still present in case supplies were running low or at high volume periods.

Alton's cocktails are very similar in quality to the first bar I worked in, and to be fair when the OP said premix cocktails, I imagined the sort of Pina Colada Mix you get from Tesco. Funkin is a bit better than that as at least the spirits are mixed, but its still a lazy shortcut for a £6. My guess would be that Alton won't sell near as many Cocktails as a trad Cocktail bar, so they could end up buying in a variety of fresh fruit which doesn't get used and would then perish two days later. In the Merlin World of profit dictating any decision making, this just wouldn't work.

Also to be fair on Alton, whilst £6 for a drink is expensive, as far as a Cocktail in a hotel bar is concerned, its really not that bad. I payed £7.50 for a Margarita in a 4* London Hotel and it was made using Premix stuff. safe to say I wasn't best pleased!

I used to love the alcohol free cocktails in Ma's, but it seems a few things happened about a month ago now:

- Prices rose
- Menus were slashed, with poor replacements
- Pre-mix replaced actual mixing

It really really annoys me, as the new ones aren't a patch on the old way of doing things. I actually have the directions for how they used to make the Banana Colada drink, and the only pre-made ingredient was the banana puree (Which is understandable really; Finest Call if anyone's wondering which!). The rest was all base ingredients. The new alcohol free cocktails all come straight out of a carton, into a glass with some ice, and it shows. They taste awful.

Now had they perhaps increased the menu size, and actually sped up the service it wouldn't be anywhere near as irritating, but they haven't. It's another step backwards :/

Wilsy said:
They could have done it to make the service faster? It's never been quick in there when it's busy.

Why don't they hire an adequate number of staff then?

Also, am I correct in thinking that they are no longer including unlimited soft drinks at Flambos again? A friend stayed over a few days ago and that was what I was told!

My unlimited soft drink in Flambos cost extra on friday. I also had an apple and mint smash in the bar, which they made fresh - but its a non alcoholic cocktail... er hem "kids cocktail".

Anyone else get bugged by the fact that ALL the non alcoholic drinks (including J20s, coke and sparkling mineral water) are only found on the '"children's drinks" menu?