• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ma Garrita's - Cocktails Made in China?

Novas

TS Member
Morning all,

So I know it must feel like I don't have anything nice to say about the resort this week, but I felt like I should post this final whinge.

I went over to Ma Grarrit's at the weekend with the Mrs. She's a fussy thing and has a milk intolerance, so I asked if the Pina Colada had any dairy in it (good hotels use coconut milk which is fine.)

The gentlement then proceeded to pull out what at first glance looked like a Capri-Sun from a box and started to read the back of it. I asked what it was and the response actually knocked me back a little. "It's all pre-mixed, we just pour it in a glass with some ice cubes."

Holy frakking hell. This might not be a big deal to most people, but I really don't want a cocktail from a bloody foil sachet. I'll let that slide on a Ryanair flight, but at a 4* hotel and at £6.00 a drink I expect them to atleast mix the bloody thing themselves. I told him to keep it and had a pint instead. :S

Maybe I'm just old and fussy, but it's just another tiny example of the extreme cost cutting that makes what should be a premium resort feel like a holiday park at times.

I don't know if its cost cutting are trying to make it simply for bar staff, but mixing cocktails shouldn't be to difficult are expesive to do themselves

That's disgraceful. I've been to bars where they make cocktails themselves from scratch for much cheaper.

It's an expensive hotel, with premium prices. I'd therefore expect to receive premium products, not sachets worth around 50p.

Yeah they seem to have moved to pre-mix cocktails yet the price is high. Hence why I no longer drink the cocktails there.

They could have done it to make the service faster? It's never been quick in there when it's busy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Wilsy said:
They could have done it to make the service faster? It's never been quick in there when it's busy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Prices need to drop if they are using pre-mix.

This is my major qualm with the place.

Either charge extortionate prices and provide an exquisite experience OR charge reasonable prices and deliver a satisfactory experience.

In the older days of The Magic Factory, they seemed to provide a much better experience for much less. Now it's just the other way round. :(

At first I thought this thread would be about the amount of time it takes to get a drink in Ma Garritas!

Yeah, this is poor customer service yet again. The cheapest product at the highest price. I cant even be bothered to properly moan, its boring me now - Im at a complete apathy with Alton, theres not much more they can do wrong and its not even surprising stuff like this is happening.

The hotels have definitely seen an increase in price but reduction in quality in the last two seasons, they clearly don't give a monkeys about TripAdvisor :p

Whoa, I didn't know that this had changed since my last stay in March. Is this the case for all of the cocktails, or just some of them? Very poor, the cocktails at the hotels are one of the main reasons I like to stay over, they are usually very nice. I will not be paying those prices for pre-mixed drinks though.

:)

Rob said:
Whoa, I didn't know that this had changed since my last stay in March. Is this the case for all of the cocktails, or just some of them?

Just some at the moment. I had a couple of other cocktails from the Dragon Bar (Mojito and a rather disgusting Jack & Rita.)

The new cocktail arrangements at both hotels are poor.

Funkin' make very average mixers for cocktails, and remove any innovation and speciality stuff that the hotels used to do.

I pretty much stick to other drinks now.

Quick nose on the Funkin website adds further insult to the situation.

A sachet of the premade cocktail costs between 80pence and 90pence - and Im sure buying a large amount Alton get these even cheaper.

It costs only that and they're charging about £6 per cocktail? Even when all costs are taken out, that's a massive profit for something of that quality - much like a lot of other things on resort...

It seems to be common practice now for large bar chains to use these pre-mixed cocktails, I know that a lot of wetherspoon cocktails are made like this and so are the ones at Travelodge (as me and Astro found out a few months back, when we drank about 6 of them each!).

As far as i'm aware its a premixed drink and the bar staff just add the alcohol, eg vodka, rum, etc. I suppose it's to save time on mixing the various ingredients, and also saves wastage.

So for a pitcher they would add more cocktail mix, and then more shots of alcohol.

It's fairly common practice across many chains these days unfortunately... Revolution de Cuba serve their daiquiri's from a slush puppy machine (and charge about £4 a glass!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

djtruefitt said:
It seems to be common practice now for large bar chains to use these pre-mixed cocktails, I know that a lot of wetherspoon cocktails are made like this

I'm a drinks snob, I refuse to buy a drink in any establishment that considers two alcopops mixed together in the same glass a cocktail. :p

The cocktails in the hotels are a joke anyway. They don't even use full size shots. The more types of booze go in to it, the smaller the measures. They were a con even before this latest development.