• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges (Cancelled)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

I would suggest that one reason would be the lodges targeting a different, potentially cheaper end of the market.

Locals were happy when Alton charged a lot, but when their prices may inevitably reduce, well, the B&Bs will rightly be more worried.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Plastic Person said:
Alton will never build the relief road. Merlin do not plan to hang on to Alton forever, they're investing to the hilt within the current infrastructure, and then the park will change hands.

And can I ask how you know this...?

If Pearson and then DIC wouldn't do it, there's no chance in hell that Merlin are into the idea. When they eventually float, it wouldn't be unusual for the parks and sideshows to change hands, or at least undergo a radical restructure. The current plan is medium investment for maximum return, and a relief road doesn't reflect that. So I don't know it, but I'd be incredibly surprised. But I think we'll definitely see a resubmission at some point... then again, I said that about the aborted Cariba slide.

Towers would never be sold seperately - it'll remain part of a larger company as that'll be where it's most valuable.

That doesn't mean a road etc would be built though. They seem to push accomodation growth largely, maybe it'll just end up being hotel extention/potential additional hotel instead. Shame really.

I asked about the relief road at TT@10, and the answer was pretty much "Never gonna happen. Next question." ::)

Can't say I'm surprised this has been cancelled / withdrawn / denied / swept under the carpet. It looked far too good to be true from the start.

The relief road isn't happening. It's mentioned in the Long Term Development Plan as something that isn't happening.

Accommodation expansion is mentioned though, and there are options that can be considered. Whilst this withdrawal is disappointing, the LDTP states that the expansion of the resort is an important priority. I expect this isn't the last we see on the matter, though it is a shame as the plans looked so so good!

Very disappointing.

Does not bode out well for the future. I personally believe however that Alton Towers will look at building a third hotel for the 2017/2018 season.

James said:
Very disappointing.

Does not bode out well for the future. I personally believe however that Alton Towers will look at building a third hotel for the 2017/2018 season.

If it's unlikely they think they will get permission to build just 75 single storey lodges it's even less likely they will get permission for a 200 room (minimum) hotel surely?

I'm not certain but was speaking to some family who live in the area and there where a lot of complaints which didn't bode well but there was rumour JCB also put in a grievance as it would have been very close to the JCB testing site and they didn't want to get slammed with noise complaints from Alton Towers.

I was thinking it was a bit close to JCB testing area. especially since they building up production in the last few months.

I do wonder if this a calculated move by Alton, as JCB is the largest all year around employer in the area. If alton work with them now it may make it easier to get an extension to a hotel though later.

It's a shame these plans have been withdrawn they were brilliant, but hopefully another hotel is built instead of lodges

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.