• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges (Cancelled)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

Very sad news. I think it is time Towers/Merlin agreed to build the Relief road in exchange for a relaxation in a planning permission for a new hotel and/or attractions?

Ian

This is gutting :( They looked so cool and would have been a awesome addition

The lodges were exactly what the resort needed - something different, and they would've worked. Such a shame that they won't come to fruition now. :(

Well, thank you NIMBYs. You've, yet again, spoiled a fantastic addition to the resort with your constant complaining and negative reaction to anything innovative, or fun. What on Earth could put anybody off having this nearby? Do they honestly think that there'll be a noticeable difference as to the current traffic or noise levels?

I just do not understand some people. How anyone could object to this is beyond me. Shame on them for not accepting and encouraging something that creates jobs, recognition and something more to do in their area. :/

Majorly disappointing news this. It's a shame the locals oppose something that's going to bring more revenue into the surrounding area to be honest. Surely a relief road is a must now after this :/

We don't know for sure if it was because of the locals complaining. It was Alton Towers who removed the plans before the council could even make a decision. We probably won't ever know!

A statement from the Resort after we contacted them:

TowersStreet News said:
A spokesperson from Alton Towers commented on the matter saying:

"Alton Towers Resort submitted a planning application in November 2012 for a two-phase themed lodge-style development to the north of the existing Hotels.

However, even though future expansion of the Resort's accommodation remains a priority within the long term plan, a decision has now been made not to pursue this particular type of development at the current time and these plans have therefore been withdrawn."

djtruefitt said:
We don't know for sure if it was because of the locals complaining. It was Alton Towers who removed the plans before the council could even make a decision. We probably won't ever know!

That is very true, but it's no secret that local objections have been raised, and this often deters the process for these things.

I'm just disappointed that a few individuals have managed to ruin so much fun for so many people, really. Whether Alton admit this or not, I can't see any other reason why they would produce and release such beautiful artwork if they weren't fully committed.

Hmmm interesting. I personally don't see any good reason why this shouldn't have gone ahead. I'd imagine the withdrawal is to do with more than just locals creating some noise. I might have a look into the planning side of things regarding these when my exams are over as I've done a fair bit of planning work at uni.

:)

This is a major dissapointment in my eyes. I don't think alton will ever release the true reason for withdrawing this, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the smiler. Since it started construction its been riddled with setbacks. It's finished 2 months behind schedule, which would bump up costs somewhat, much more concrete has had to be poured and more retaining walls put it in place to contain the uneven landscaping. Just a thought?

Major New Accommodation in 2014 - Themed Lodges

What truly awful news.

I think there must be more to this than the locals disagreeing. However, I dare say they didn't approve of said plans.

As much as it is sad to see this hit the dustbin, personally, I think the lack of the relief road may have something to do with this. If these were built, and given accomadtion at a cheap price (yeah right...Merlin) then I could see some of the roads into Towers getting clogged up worse than they would be on peak days, so I could understand the local's concerns in a way. Had Alton/Merlin got round to building such a route say about a few years ago, then it is possible that these plans may had come to fruition, alas, the locals are another problem with their habit of ruining everyone's fun.

How knows, maybe next year is when Merlin even considers the idea of the relief road in the near future.

Or how about this, a new shooting game stall which you can shoot plastic figurings that resemble the locals! :p

Absolutely gutting... a real blow for ATR.

As devastating as this is, AT have been quite clever here. They must have known that the current plans would not get approved, or at least the risk was too high to wait on a decision. If the application did get refused AT would have no option but to appeal, which is very expensive and would ruin their relationship with the council.

By withdrawing they have kept their options open. A refused application would have set a president and AT would have found it even harder to push forward future expansion.

It is a massive shame but I expect a smaller more phased application to be submitted instead. It is usually a strategic decision to withdraw something like this, AT will have not pulled the plug completely. ;)

Alton will never build the relief road. Merlin do not plan to hang on to Alton forever, they're investing to the hilt within the current infrastructure, and then the park will change hands.

Doesn't surprise me. There isn't a business justification for more resort accommodation to take away from local b&bs with not very much to do 'on resort'.

Until the on resort entertainment is built up, there is no cause for reduced price accommodation which is fulfilled by local businesses, and that's where the threat lies

Plastic Person said:
Alton will never build the relief road. Merlin do not plan to hang on to Alton forever, they're investing to the hilt within the current infrastructure, and then the park will change hands.

And can I ask how you know this...?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.