• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Major Ride Closures 2016

I think if the Smiler hasn't crashed, we may still have Ripsaw, I imagine it was removed due to needing aload of work on it, back in the day they probably would have got the budget and refurbished it, but with massive cuts all over the place it was just easier to remove it.

The park does feel empty without all these rides. On most of my visits I have got pretty much every ride done by the afternoon and you then get bored, as all the filler rides have now all been removed. The likes of Charlie, Hex and Terra were all rides that lasted a fair while compared to other rides and filled up time. Now we don't have any!

Parks can't just prosper on kids rides and coasters (even if most/all are of top quality). Parks in the UK such as Drayton, Blackpool, Thorpe and even Chessington and Legoland have a considerably better lineup than Towers here, let alone the gems of Europe.

Agree entirely, parks need a variety in their line ups. Whilst no where near the level of our European neighbours the smaller UK parks seem to recognise this. Paultons added or rethemed their support attractions as part of the Lost Kingdom development and whilst not ideal Oakwoods ride rotations at least allow them to offer a more varied full day whilst saving costs on quieter days. Merlin seem to be lagging behind in this regard especially at Towers where it seems if it can't be marketed as a world's first something or other then it's not worth doing.

The park does feel empty without all these rides. On most of my visits I have got pretty much every ride done by the afternoon and you then get bored, as all the filler rides have now all been removed. The likes of Charlie, Hex and Terra were all rides that lasted a fair while compared to other rides and filled up time. Now we don't have any!

We've noticed the same and our visits have changed from spending most of a day at the park last year to just stopping off for a few hours to go on a couple rides before heading elsewhere.

Before I respond to some of the points here, which parks are people referring to on the continent as examples of those with a great thrilling flat ride portfolio? The finger is often pointed at Efteling, Phantasialand or Europa for comparison when someone suggests why Merlin are terrible, but I'd suggest they aren't particularly well stocked when it comes to thrilling flats either.

Walibi Holland, perhaps? I'm not a big flat ride fan, but if I was I'd be heading to Oktoberfest, or ironically Heide or Thorpe!

It's hard comparing with European parks because most European parks have something that Towers also lacks... entertainment. I visited PortAventura a few weeks ago, 4 days on park, I spent one day just watching shows and parades, had two rides at most, yet the day felt worth it because there was just so much going on (with entertainments alone).

Maybe that's the problem with Towers. It's not lack of flats as such, it's just a lack of anything other than major rides. There needs to be something inbetween the big headliners, whether that's a flat, a small attraction, or a show. Mutiny Bay was a good example of that, the headline rides (Battle Galleons & The Flume), the small attractions (Heave Ho, Sea Life, Marauder's Mayhem) and the side shows (street entertainment, stage show). Obviously there's a lot of difference in costs compared to big steel coasters and landscaping works required in other areas - although if that was replicated in other areas over the years I think people would view Towers pretty differently.

Before I respond to some of the points here, which parks are people referring to on the continent as examples of those with a great thrilling flat ride portfolio? The finger is often pointed at Efteling, Phantasialand or Europa for comparison when someone suggests why Merlin are terrible, but I'd suggest they aren't particularly well stocked when it comes to thrilling flats either.

Walibi Holland, perhaps? I'm not a big flat ride fan, but if I was I'd be heading to Oktoberfest, or ironically Heide or Thorpe!

Park examples:

Liseberg: has at least 7 flats
Upswing, Mechanica, Aerospin, spin rock, chair swing, Disko, Jukebox, waltzer,

Phantasialand has: 2 flats (but is a much smaller park)
Chair swing, Talocan,

Efteling has 2 flats (but is a family park with more than rides)
Moby Dick, Halve Moon

Europa Park has 5 flats (and is a family park)
Columbus dinghy, chair swing, feria swing, Jangfrau, pirate ship

Statistically all these parks have a better artinary of flats than towers. I may prefer coasters and dark rides, but it's still a shame how few Towers now have.

@James your post sums up what I was meaning about variety. The big European parks invest in a wide variety of entertainment be that dark rides, flats or shows so you can easily spend a day there and enjoy yourself without going near a coaster, it gives them a massive appeal to groups even where family members don't enjoy coasters.

I fully appreciate why towers are cutting back but to me that's where towers are lacking, theres limited appeal to visiting beyond coasters or cbeebies for young families.

Hate to say it but that's the way I interpret this as well. What a great shame! Charlie has needed replacement since it opened so I'm fine with that but Sub Terra and especially Hex are a great loss. Same with the flats, I guess because they don't have significant "pulling power" like the headline attractions do they are seen as not necessary in Merlin's eyes.

I can't see Charlie ever re-opening in its current form and Sub-Terra seems somewhat of a lost cause. However I do think that Hex will re-open next year. Why would they spend money on it if there was no plan to re-open it. That would be money down the drain at any time, let alone a time when the park are struggling to get decents budgets.

The flats debate is nothing new and I think James has hit the nail on the head. For me it is not as issue solely of flat rides, yes there are not as many as there used to be but I do not like Thorpe used as an example for theme parks and flat rides as they are an exception and not the rule. Key word here is theme. If you look at some of the best theme parks around the world they aren't filled with thrill flats. It is a different story for amusement parks of course. The problem at Towers is a lack of support rides/entertainment/other activities totally.

Let's take out the coasters and kids rides at Towers and look at what is remaining to do during the day. Blade, Enterprise, Rapids, Marauders, Twirling Toadstool, Battle Galleons (ha!), Duel, Ice Age 4D, some food. That is eight other attractions and the majority of them only last a minute or two. There is only one supporting dark ride, there are no shows, there are no other themed experiences/walkthrough type attractions. You can't even explore the Towers for most of the year these days and when you can the areas you can access are extremely limited compared to just two years ago.

It's poor for what is meant to be the best theme park in the UK. I've not been to Towers since Rollercoaster Restaurant opening weekend (and I left late morning that Saturday anyway). I've got bored in the park this year; you get the coasters done and a few of the other rides and then there is nothing left to do. In fact I think I have probably spent more days at Europa-Park than Alton Towers so far this year!

:)

I can't see Charlie ever re-opening in its current form and Sub-Terra seems somewhat of a lost cause. However I do think that Hex will re-open next year. Why would they spend money on it if there was no plan to re-open it. That would be money down the drain at any time, let alone a time when the park are struggling to get decents budgets.

They spent quite some time and effort and money last year repairing Ripsaw only to scrap it .. Towers logic

They spent quite some time and effort and money last year repairing Ripsaw only to scrap it .. Towers logic
Although I understand it seems odd on the surface, it's only like spending £400 on the bodywork on the car, for the engine to blow up. Plus, they have two other Topspins to stick the parts in.

Stuff happens.

Just hitting home that Merlin are a far cry from anything remotely Disney. There are other park operators who are leaps and bounds ahead of Merlin. Under their ownership, Towers has sunk deeper and deeper into a depressed state.

Don't worry, Disney has been busy cost-cutting as well (supposedly to off-set last minute spending on Shanghai). Most sites and forums are reporting that attendance is low this summer at Disney US parks but wait times are up as they are running less vehicles on many rides so they can save staffing costs.

Indeed, although Disney standards remain much higher than those at Merlin parks they too have been guilty of relatively severe cuts that have had impacts on guest experience.

Disney are also incredibly good at hiding when they're cost cutting. Many of their rides are built in a way that it's quite difficult to see how many trains are being used etc.

Although I understand it seems odd on the surface, it's only like spending £400 on the bodywork on the car, for the engine to blow up. Plus, they have two other Topspins to stick the parts in.

Stuff happens.
hmmm so they can be repairing Hex to move it to another park and cannibalise it for parts :rolleyes:

Hex is the only one I would desperately want them to reopen. Sub Terra would be a loss, especially when you consider how new it is.

Ripsaw was repaired long before the crash though. If it wasn't for the accident, towers probably would have maintained it for another season, but now their budget has been cut dramatically, and they probably just couldn't justify opening it this year.

Another theory as to why they repaired it (though much less likely) is the same as what I've seen on bubbleworks the last few days. To give it one final good season before getting rid of it. Much less likely, I know, but its not like towers weren't already thinking about closing it.

Another theory as to why they repaired it (though much less likely) is the same as what I've seen on bubbleworks the last few days. To give it one final good season before getting rid of it. Much less likely, I know, but its not like towers weren't already thinking about closing it.
WHAT?! Bubbleworks was assessed and reviewed ahead of the 2017 project. Remedial work that was identified as being required ahead of the 2017 retheme was completed during the 2015/2016 off season to allow for the retheme to occur for 2017, without significant work being done on the ride system (because it has already been done).

WHAT?! Bubbleworks was assessed and reviewed ahead of the 2017 project. Remedial work that was identified as being required ahead of the 2017 retheme was completed during the 2015/2016 off season to allow for the retheme to occur for 2017, without significant work being done on the ride system (because it has already been done).
Some of the effects inside have been fixed very recently. Some that haven't worked for years were working this weekend, I'm guessing they were fixed during the week bubbleworks was down just before they announced its closure.

Like I said though, probably nothing to do with why ripsaw was fixed, just putting another theory out there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but new sub terra merch is in towers trading. They have sold keyrings all season, but today I saw new charm pens and ball point pens that I haven't seen at towers before. If it is new merch, that suggests to me that a scarefest opening is possible,but even if its not new, that suggests that they expect to open the ride at some point.

There was work going on around the towers, meaning her ladyship's gardens (I may be wrong with the name, but I mean the area where TotTs entrance was). Lots of warning signs and safety equipment notices. Could be scarefest prep, but I find it hard to believe you need a helmet to go and put some curtains up inside the towers (wouldn't surprise me with towers H&S...)

Love the new and improved driving school. Who wants to sit in the car and drive it, when you can pay to drive a radio controlled car, complete with the cardboard cut-out characters from the queue of the original!

Standard site requirements when there is work overhead (2metres above floor height) is hard hat, Hi vis and cat2 (or higher) safety boots.

There was work going on around the towers, meaning her ladyship's gardens (I may be wrong with the name, but I mean the area where TotTs entrance was). Lots of warning signs and safety equipment notices. Could be scarefest prep, but I find it hard to believe you need a helmet to go and put some curtains up inside the towers (wouldn't surprise me with towers H&S...)

Yep you need special training and all the HV vests and hat just to step up onto a chair now days.