• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Mardi Gras 2023

That is a shame if the pontoon is no more, that's what really made the event stand out for me last year. Pity I only visited on a cold drizzly day, I'm sure it really came into its own in warm sunshine! Presumably budgetary constraints (i.e. whatever they wasted on the Smiler Takeover) have precluded its return.

Loved that pontoon, ate a couple just chicken burger meals there last season, nice atmosphere to sit down tbh but not sure I'd do that since the 'not chicken' Aramark rebrand though.

With the event starting in a few days I imagine we would have seen it started to be built by now if it was returning. The press release didn’t mention anything about it either when it was released the other week.

I saw a certain somewhat popular vlogging channel hounding Mardi Gras yesterday, calling it "trash"; etc. Thought I'd reserve judgment for myself until today. It's the best year in my opinion, I was sceptical about all the krewes being in one place, but it works a lot better having synchronised performances in one place. The end parade is really fun and the photo ops are really nice. We had some food from the stands and thought it was nice and reasonably priced (although Aramark might make it seem more reasonable than it is because of how expensive the park outlets are). The atmosphere created really is pretty spectacular. I don't share the same opinion that it's "trash" (personally), but each to their own.

I saw a certain somewhat popular vlogging channel hounding Mardi Gras yesterday, calling it "trash"; etc. Thought I'd reserve judgment for myself until today. It's the best year in my opinion, I was sceptical about all the krewes being in one place, but it works a lot better having synchronised performances in one place. The end parade is really fun and the photo ops are really nice. We had some food from the stands and thought it was nice and reasonably priced (although Aramark might make it seem more reasonable than it is because of how expensive the park outlets are). The atmosphere created really is pretty spectacular. I don't share the same opinion that it's "trash" (personally), but each to their own.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that picked on that channel's negativity about the event. After watching TPWW's vlog, it was like they were at different events. It's funny that in the comments, he says that Towers MG is trash yet Thorpe Park's is much better - based on the one video I've seen of Thorpe's attempt this year, it looks awful in comparison! He even said their parade was better than Towers. And the best thing about all this is that (going by the video) he didn't even stay for the whole day so missed much of the entertainment and the parade! I'm sorry but you cannot give a decent balanced review of a whole-day event if you don't stay for the whole day. You wouldn't watch the first 5 mins of a film to give a full in-depth review of it!

I spotted another video on another channel where at the start they were complaining about the main lawn not being used (it never has been for Mardi Gras) and everything being in one place. Towers can't win; people complain when it's spread out - I remember complaints about MG in previous years being a bit disjointed with it all over the park and people missing the shows - so they bring it into one place and guess what, there's complaints that its not spread out!!

From what I've seen on YouTube, this year's event looks like the best yet. I hope to see for myself in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Which YouTuber is it, out of interest?

I'm guessing people aren't referring to Shawn, seeing as his video is now up and him and Charlotte seemed to have quite a positive view of the event!

Which YouTuber is it, out of interest?

I'm guessing people aren't referring to Shawn, seeing as his video is now up and him and Charlotte seemed to have quite a positive view of the event!
I don't want to single the channel out by name but the one who has had some industry-related interviews over the last few months, including John Wardley.

What’s with all the cloak and dagger posts? If people have basically described the entire video then naming the channel by this point isn’t much of a leap.
Because I know Craig et al don't like channels being named because it can turn threads into vlogger bashing. Just trying to stay on the right side of the admins :)

I don't want to single the channel out by name but the one who has had some industry-related interviews over the last few months, including John Wardley.
I think I know the one you mean now... I just went and watched their vlog, and it does seem like they have a strangely negative view of the event compared to everyone else who's been and had very good things to say about it.

I think I know the one you mean now... I just went and watched their vlog, and it does seem like they have a strangely negative view of the event compared to everyone else who's been and had very good things to say about it.
Yeah it was strange. I mean, after the damp squib that was FoT The Smiler Takeover (his thoughts on that seemed valid based on other vlogs too), and after watching his video I thought that maybe MG had sadly gone the same way but then seeing other vlogs that included all entertainment and the parade, it showed that he just seemed overly negative about it. Very strange because I usually find his vlogs very balanced and he says things as he finds them - good or bad.

But anyway, it's not put me off visiting, I hope to go there in the next few weeks.

Yeah it was strange. I mean, after the damp squib that was FoT The Smiler Takeover (his thoughts on that seemed valid based on other vlogs too), and after watching his video I thought that maybe MG had sadly gone the same way but then seeing other vlogs that included all entertainment and the parade, it showed that he just seemed overly negative about it. Very strange.
Every opinion is sacred, though; seeing as he's also spoken negatively of Mardi Gras in previous years, perhaps it's just not his thing?

Because I know Craig et al don't like channels being named because it can turn threads into vlogger bashing. Just trying to stay on the right side of the admins :)
Just to go off topic for a sec and clear something up - there's nothing whatsoever wrong with linking to specific videos or mentioning specific vloggers provided:
  • It contains new information that's relevant to topic
  • You use it to add context to your own opinions
I actually want other content creators in the community to be credited and mentioned when they're providing new information that we end up talking about on here.

What we don't allow is people to just post things that have already been discussed or to pass comment on other content creators that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. We also encourage people who have direct feedback for the channel to do so on the creator's own channels rather than here. Just a bit of common sense is all :)

Every opinion is sacred, though; seeing as he's also spoken negatively of Mardi Gras in previous years, perhaps it's just not his thing?
Oh absolutely, but how can you form an opinion on an event if you don't experience it fully? Yeah he's never been a fan of it; but clearly it's only Towers' MG he seems to dislike rather than MG as a whole as he seems to praise Thorpe's version of it!