• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Mardi Gras 2023

ThemeParkOwen

TS Member
With Mardi Gras around the corner I thought I'd try and start my first thread so apologies if it's in the wrong place!

I'm staying over for a couple of nights and have never been to Mardi Gras before so I was wondering what kind of entertainment (if any) will be at the hotels? Or will it just be the standard entertainment?

I noticed the floats are now on food street so I assume all the park entertainment will now be there?

It looks like it, and I’m not sure how I feel about that to be honest. It could be good in one sense that it’s all in one place but I liked it being spread out

In the video between TPWW and Bianca, Bianca mentioned that she wants to utilise the main lawns and view of the Towers more for events, and that having a large concentration of event stages/stalls in one area gives the impression of higher investment as opposed to having the same number of stages but spread thinly around the park.

Although I've never been, I've seen videos etc and I do feel like having everything in one place will make it feel more like an event rather than just things scattered here and there.

Do they use the big stage for this?

In the video between TPWW and Bianca, Bianca mentioned that she wants to utilise the main lawns and view of the Towers more for events, and that having a large concentration of event stages/stalls in one area gives the impression of higher investment as opposed to having the same number of stages but spread thinly around the park.

I could see that space being used in a similar vane to event space at Epcot.

It would be good to see more permanent infrastructure for that area

- actually use the stage
- permanent lighting
- hybrid lawn so it’s ok to stand on in all weathers
- projection map the towers for use for all events
- fountain show/screen added to the lake for all events

Hybrid lawns...you aren't really laying plastic grass round the Towers are you???
Wonderful for the environment...why not just concrete the lawns over and do a real practical job!
And would you get large numbers watching on the lawns, in the rain, in our climate, apart from a few fireworks nights?

I can't wrap my head around why they have a permanent stage set up yet hardly use it,

I'd love to go back to the days where we have shows on daily (such as the pirate show in the courtyard). Yes there's Cbeebies shows but what about the rest of the parks demographic?

Bring some of that magic back

Hybrid lawns...you aren't really laying plastic grass round the Towers are you???
Wonderful for the environment...why not just concrete the lawns over and do a real practical job!
And would you get large numbers watching on the lawns, in the rain, in our climate, apart from a few fireworks nights?

How does something like Desso Grassmaster effect the environment? You're our resident expert

Reactions: Ash
Well... initially there is the matter of making the stuff...all that plastic from petroleum, all that carbon useage, all that energy used in making the useless stuff...then there are the billions and billions of plastic particles that slowly degrade through wear into the water supply, and then into the fishy that we have for dinner, or into the carrots for the veggies.
All bits of petrol based cancerous products that really shouldn't be in our bodies.
It also heats up, so those cooling lawns will heat the punters, and the planet.
There are over a dozen different reasons why plastic grass, and hybrid versions...are very bad for the environment.
It also wears badly, causes friction burns, isn't as soft to the touch as the real thing, often ripples and creases, it sterilises and overheats the soil, and worms hate the stuff.
I'm a gardener, I like worms.
Then there is the fact that it would cost around a million quid to do the Towers lawns, all for a few days a year, and would cost far more than turf to repair and replace after the firework mudbath.
Concrete would probably be the healthy alternative.

I’ve seen a few people say why are they concentrating the stages to the one area. The same people complained when the smiler takeover (name is in the event) took over the various themed lands. I’d argue the stages and atmosphere has the same impact in the themed lands.

I don’t have much of a view of it, all I know is if you don’t have it in the themed lands your not going to have it spread along quiet pathways, Having it centralised is probably the best way and clearly are taking a different approach after seeing the uproar over a few sets in the smiler takeover.

Parks too big to have a complete event atmosphere with its rural location and size of it. Concentrate the event into one area, pack it out and advertise the location and shows as much as possible to get many people over there.

The main stage is pointless, when they did have shows they had 10-15 people on an average day. There isn’t a demand, but needs to cater to adults and children alike. They don’t really have a story or a brand to have an Original stage show on

Unless the park opens later then the main stage is wasted. People won’t spend 1-2 hours out of their day to watch a show on the lawns when closing time might only be 5 o’clock and half the rides haven’t opened by midday.

People need to have the time to stop and enjoy a show as used to be the case many years ago when the park was regularly open until 7/8pm.

Unless the park opens later then the main stage is wasted. People won’t spend 1-2 hours out of their day to watch a show on the lawns when closing time might only be 5 o’clock and half the rides haven’t opened by midday.

People need to have the time to stop and enjoy a show as used to be the case many years ago when the park was regularly open until 7/8pm.
Was it ever regularly open to 8pm? A majority of guests leave around 6pm to get dinner anyway, but they still want to see shows. Except for fireworks I’ve rarely wanted to stay later than about 6pm but I do enjoy seeing shows, I think they still have a place in a varied line up in the park.

You also have to factor in not everyone wants to go on the rides.

Take my mum for example, she hates Rollercoasters so what's there for her to do?

Gangsta Granny, Rapids, Sealife and Curse.

It's for people like my mum why we need shows so badly!!

Last edited:
Was it ever regularly open to 8pm? A majority of guests leave around 6pm to get dinner anyway, but they still want to see shows. Except for fireworks I’ve rarely wanted to stay later than about 6pm but I do enjoy seeing shows, I think they still have a place in a varied line up in the park.

I seem to recall back in the 90s it was open quite often until 7pm

Weekends in the 90’s would usually have a 7-8pm close if the weather was nice.

In fact if you watch the magic factory documentary filmed in 1997 they show a briefing and have a 6pm ride close on a 12,000 person forecast. Which at the time was fairly quiet for the park and there where more attractions and shows to watch.

You would probably need 14,000+ these days to get a 6pm ride close if not more.

These events in the past few seasons have shown there is demand for entertainment and food offerings beyond ride close. It's something that needs to be explored more year-round, with at least one permanent venue in the park (indoor theatre/large production show) and regular street ents (I know they have some stuff now but it is lacking). Parades returning for events would be nice to see too.

F&B is a bit of a sore subject at the moment, but Towers Street could do with a high-quality restaurant. I would welcome a permanent street food type area around Towers Street (bottom of the lawns next to the stage?) also to encourage guests to stay into the evening. Even some form of lake/water fountain show in front of the Towers. It's a great setting with plenty of opportunities.

You also have to factor in not everyone wants to go on the rides.

Take my mum for example, she hates Rollercoasters so what's there for her to do?

Gangsta Granny, Rapids, Sealife and Curse.

It's for people like my mum why we need shows so badly!!

Same for my mother, this is why she enjoys parks outside of the UK more.

Whilst we're talking about our mothers, I returned the favours of my childhood years and took my own old dear a couple of years back to Scarefest. She had me young and still a healthy (and apparently attractive) lady who likes to get out and do stuff. She likes the odd coaster and enjoys theme park visits but it's experience and atmosphere shes after, perhaps some nice food and something to watch.

She remarked to me that she'd go more often to watch some shows, enjoy some good food, go on some whole family rides with the grandkids and be entertained into the evenings if Towers offered it. But she shows no interest in coming with us if her visit consists of waiting by the exit to the Smiler with cheesy 80's rock blaring in her ear before a 3 hour drive home at 4/5pm.

Anyone got any updates on what they're doing this year? Is the floating pontoon seating area back? All seems to have been very quiet from vloggers for updates this year and no-ones mentioned anything on here even though many have visited recently. With the recent "not as good as last year" Festival of Thrills, I can't help but think Mardi Gras won't be as good either. Fingers crossed Oktoberfest will remain the same or be better though.

Not seen anything about the pontoon, I suspect that it is not returning this year which would be a shame as that was really quite unique last year. I do hope that I am wrong though.