• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Media Coverage of Alton Towers

Vaguely related one here, Vicky Balch apparently was "refused help" with her Disability by Virgin Trains.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12565...ns-staff-after-being-refused-disability-help/

I can't help but feeling a bit cynical as Vicky seems to be the one in the news most (I get the impression the others have moved on with their lives better/their PR Manager isn't as greedy). Whilst it sounds like a heartless thing to say, I think she's practically a professional victim at this stage, because she can complain about anything and then "SMILER CRASH VICTIM REFUSED *insert something here* DUE TO DISABILITY, ALTON TOWERS ARE THE SPAWN OF SATAN!!1!" is in the news the next day.

urrrhhh, cant even say anything on here about it cos whatever I say will not be very nice.
Meh, that's never stopped me.

She needs to take a trip to 'Dam and chill the frack out. To quote Bill Hicks:
"SHUT UP, and smoke that... it's the law! ...... Oh, sorry, I was taking life seriously!"

It's really shit that she's now disabled as a result of Alton Towers on what was supposed to be a fun day out.

Tht said people loose limbs as a result of car crashes on a fun day out and don't receive the help or compensation to make things that bit easier.

I'm in no way saying that she should think herself lucky as what happened was a mistake and is a dreadful thing to happen to such a young person.

But this militant attitude is going to make people loose their sympathy towards her.

I think all these articles on her is pathetic. Absolutely no offence intended here, but should she have been helped at the station? Not read the entire article, but technically she can walk, and is far more able than someone with a normal prosthetic leg (clearly not an expert on any of this though, feel free to correct me).

And even forgetting that, should this be a story? It has NOTHING to do with towers. Would it be the same for someone in a car accident or something else? I doubt it. All this not only lowers respect for towers, but also for the victims, as the media are the ones twisting the story to focus it on how towers should be bulldozed. It kind of makes her seem a little desperate.

DISCLAMER: This is in no way trying to undermine Vicky balch, but the media. Just want to clear that up, she didnt deserve it and it's a horrible thing to happen to someone, but it's really annoying me how she is having all these non story's damaging towers reputation.

the only reason the tabloids are running these stories are because they are being sold to them by the "victims"

as much to blame as the media

the only reason the tabloids are running these stories are because they are being sold to them by the "victims"

Obviously someone has to sell the stories to begin with, but just the language used, and the number of stories on things that under different circumstances would never be publised, just shows that it's the media desperate for clicks. If this was someone who lost a leg in a car accident, would they have published these story's? Probably not, but they do because it means they can undermine a popular tourist attraction.

No, the only reason the media are running the stories is because people react to them. The media aren't sold stories. The media buy stories. The media buy stories they think are in the public interest and will make them money through clickthroughs and ad revenue. Don't know why you're calling them "victims" as opposed to just victims, when they clearly are victims, or why they're to blame for anything. I know if I lost a leg I'd be grabbing as much money from it as I could get to make up for it, I doubt many wouldn't. Not like these stories are front page news now. If they anger you so much, ignore them and they'll go away.

If this was someone who lost a leg in a car accident, would they have published these story's? Probably not, but they do because it means they can undermine a popular tourist attraction.
Because unfortunately, car accidents happen every day. They don't run the stories to undermine Towers specifically. Towers are not the victim here.

I've not read the story, I'm not going to, it's in The Sun and I won't lower myself, and frankly I don't care. I do care about people on here making a scene, ironically giving them more reason to make these stories. If she was mistreated then it's bad, hopefully she'll be compensated like any other person would be in that situation. But I don't care about the result of it more than the result of any other discrimination case like it, which unfortunately happens all the time. Her status as a victim of the Towers crash means that unfortunately there is public interest in running the story, mostly from ghouls and angry enthusiasts and while I hope it gets resolved I won't be following the case or anything. It's been a year, the media know these stories get attention. Ignore them if you don't like them, honestly you'll all feel better.

The media aren't sold stories. The media buy stories. The media buy stories they think are in the public interest

ergo if they are buying then someone is selling, and the only person who can sell them are those it has happened to.
If those it had happened to didnt sell then the media would have nothing to buy :)