• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Media Coverage of Alton Towers

So they did... But the product quality was exactly the same as had been a successful business model before the bad publicity with customers making repeat purchases.

Not me though... no namby pamby crystal decanters in Yorkshire. Pint o Tetley, mate!
Mine's a pint =)

The entire Mirror article is based on an alleged story from a guest. It's obviously a load of BS, there will be a lot of people running to the papers to sell this 'stories' to get a few hundred quid.

Going by what Alton Towers have officially said it was just a minor bump on Spinball, which is very common for that ride. I've experienced it, it's nothing, had rougher bus rides than that.
Alton officially said Smiler was running at 20mph at the point of impact.

I understand the cynicism, absolutely. I just think it's odd that Alton have now created situation whereby "rides are performing exactly as they are designed to do" but that includes people seeking medical attention.

It's a tricky one for Towers to handle as things that are commonplace can sound far worse when reported every few days by mainstream media. Most people will believe a place like Towers should run with no breakdowns, problems, people tripping over, vomiting after a ride, having a headache after a ride, have nausea after a ride etc.. although since these things happen all the time in parks around the world unnoticed, when it's suddenly reported almost daily it can seem like Towers is a death trap.

I guess that's the big issue Towers have to over come throughout this media coverage, every tiny incident that happens now could and probably will be reported and taken ever so slightly out of context so people at home get hysterical over it, and statements that say everything is performing as usual doesn't help them much.

^ I 100% agree, but I think contact between two ride vehicles shouldn't be part of day to day operations. I've ridden that thing a billion times and never seen what has been described and frankly would be a little perturbed if it did happen.

So now Thirteen lift evacs have made the news. Great! Seeing all of this news coverage is really quite depressing, when is it going to stop!?

:)

I think I will sell this to the mirror:

I was on the flume, and I got water in my eye, I complained to the ride ops and they said (probably following their policy) to seek medical attention. They said I was fine, but a couple of hours later, my eye went red, so I went to hospital. Never going to the park again. That death trap should be permanently shut, to prevent further injures.

People like this just need a good punch and to sort their life out.

REALLY??? This is getting pathetic now.

EDIT: I can't remember if I'd posted this in one of the other topics or not, but I saw this strapped to the side of Odyssey at Fantasy Island a few weeks ago...
scaled_full_413aa5e0dfab61121f79.jpg

Stuff like this does not exactly help.

EDIT: I can't remember if I'd posted this in one of the other topics or not, but I saw this strapped to the side of Odyssey at Fantasy Island a few weeks ago...

You did post it. Nevertheless it's more apt now than it was then. :p

I do wonder how much they're actually paying members of the public to publish stories?

Can't wait for the newspapers to report when I have my power outage.
The haunted theme park stafordshire castle has cursed members of unofficial fan site. The user @LordOfDarkness has suffered a power cut just a day after the fun fair also experienced power outages that grounded rides such as f15teen, Mario pinball, the fast(ish) one, and the one that disappears underground. This follows reports that the park is haunted and cursed, as proved by ghostbuster, which is therefore reliable. The (insert tabloid Name here) has come to the conclusion that people who go to theme parks are doomed. PEOPLE WHO THINK ABOUT THEME PARKS ARE DOOMED, EVERYONE IS DOOMED! Unless you buy our paper

The haunted theme park stafordshire castle has cursed members of unofficial fan site. The user @LordOfDarkness has suffered a power cut just a day after the fun fair also experienced power outages that grounded rides such as f15teen, Mario pinball, the fast(ish) one, and the one that disappears underground. This follows reports that the park is haunted and cursed, as proved by ghostbuster, which is therefore reliable. The (insert tabloid Name here) has come to the conclusion that people who go to theme parks are doomed. PEOPLE WHO THINK ABOUT THEME PARKS ARE DOOMED, EVERYONE IS DOOMED! Unless you buy our paper

I love it!

<rant>
I blame the Failbook and Twit culture for a lot of this to be honest.. it's turned many people into attention-seeking, instant fame grabbing sheep, desperate for their moment of fake glory. And the media seem to have become affected with the same disease, going out of their way to promote those sheep and their mindless bleats, at the expense of accuracy and fact-finding.
Which has made it even easier to instigate witch-hunts and crucify people, companies and organisations, many of whom do not deserve it... why let the truth get in the way of a good stoning though...
</rant>

TL;DR - I hope this all blows over before long, so that Alton Towers can get back to making magic.

<rant>
I blame the Failbook and Twit culture for a lot of this to be honest.. it's turned many people into attention-seeking, instant fame grabbing sheep, desperate for their moment of fake glory. And the media seem to have become affected with the same disease, going out of their way to promote those sheep and their mindless bleats, at the expense of accuracy and fact-finding.
Which has made it even easier to instigate witch-hunts and crucify people, companies and organisations, many of whom do not deserve it... why let the truth get in the way of a good stoning though...
</rant>

TL;DR - I hope this all blows over before long, so that Alton Towers can get back to making magic.
You are 100% correct.

In previous theme park accidents, there hasn't been huge media coverage because most of the tabloids "reliable sources" are people's Twitter.

^ I 100% agree, but I think contact between two ride vehicles shouldn't be part of day to day operations. I've ridden that thing a billion times and never seen what has been described and frankly would be a little perturbed if it did happen.

It happens a lot, it's the nature of the constant moving station. Contact between ride card is fine if it's in a manner they have been designed for. Duel by design bumps the car in front in the station.