• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Media Coverage of Alton Towers

Another 'completely truthfull' mirror story:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alton-towers-passengers-evacuated-rollercoaster-5997203

Also loving their Photoshop skills.
Th13teen2.jpg
the caption is "Th13een at Alton towers stuck"
Where to correct that first... here I go
  1. The ride in the picture is Rita
  2. Rita (or any other ride) does not pass over the 13 enterence
  3. Part of someone's arm is missing
  4. If they are stuck, why is there motion blur, and the riders arms are in the air
  5. 13 got stuck on the lift hill.
  6. 13 doesn't have OTSR's

The missing arm part could easily be just reflection from sunlight, and I'm pretty sure Rita does pass over the 13 entrance. However I agree with the point that the report is completely ridiculous

P1010168.jpg

Found this on-line, the angle is very similar. I think the picture is genuine. Don't really know why I am defending the newspapers though...

I stand corrected.

Haven't been on th13een for a while. Either way, the caption is completely wrong. This is not th13een, and it has not stopped.

It happens a lot, it's the nature of the constant moving station. Contact between ride card is fine if it's in a manner they have been designed for. Duel by design bumps the car in front in the station.
Coasters with block systems, that shut down for upwards of twenty minutes when multiple cars enter the same block are not designed to make contact in this manner during regular operations.

Coasters with block systems, that shut down for upwards of twenty minutes when multiple cars enter the same block are not designed to make contact in this manner during regular operations.
What do you mean? Are you talking about the smiler? Sonic spinball is designed for collisions. It's similar to how stealth has rollbacks. It doesn't always happen, but it's designed so that if it does, no one will get hurt. Some rides are just designed to nudge each other when they come into the station. I'd also say that bubble works has a bigger collisions than spinball. Duel, rapids, flume, sonic all make contact whilst loading and unloading. Anyone notice how you load all of these when they are moving. This is just a result of the smiler, the only news-worthy thing they've reported so far is that it crashed. Everything else is really just absolutely pathetic people who know this is a chance to get some money, even if it means destroying a good company that is actually partly a charity to make ill children happy. If you don't mind the fact that you are damaging a good company's name just for a little money, then go ahead, but don't expect cheers and support from those with at least half a brain who can figure out that it's pointless.

Rant over.

You better tell Disney then because Crush's Coaster does the same thing. The station has multiple cars on a traveling conveyor so at that point it's not a typical block system (the rest of the ride is) and the cars have those chunky buffers in case the spacing system gets confused or a train enters the conveyor too quickly.

It's not a safety issue.

You better tell Disney then because Crush's Coaster does the same thing. The station has multiple cars on a traveling conveyor so at that point it's not a typical block system (the rest of the ride is) and the cars have those chunky buffers in case the spacing system gets confused or a train enters the conveyor too quickly.

It's not a safety issue.
This incident didn't happen in the station though, from what I understand? It happened on the block immediately after the main brake?

What has the station set up got to do with anything? The station is a series of six blocks, it works on the exact same principle as a block system.

This incident didn't happen in the station though, from what I understand? It happened on the block immediately after the main brake?

What has the station set up got to do with anything? The station is a series of six blocks, it works on the exact same principle as a block system.
It was basically in the station, literally just outside.
What would Alton towers have to gain by saying that it's normal and designed to do this if it wasn't? They reacted well to the smiler, and to cover up another crash would probably kill them. You have to understand how significant them denying the claims is, that it means that it is obviously designed to do this

I had heard it was a train entering the station, after the realignment, happy to be proved wrong but the fact the station operates as a continuous conveyor is relevant if that is the case. The trains are not far enough apart for the system to operate as 6 discreet blocks. If it didn't happen in the station then it isn't relevant at all.

As said these small bumps are not uncommon on MS spinners.

It was basically in the station, literally just outside.
What would Alton towers have to gain by saying that it's normal and designed to do this if it wasn't? They reacted well to the smiler, and to cover up another crash would probably kill them. You have to understand how significant them denying the claims is, that it means that it is obviously designed to do this
The same as what they gained by stating the Smiler impact was at 20mph? Not all misinformation is intentional, of course.

I had heard it was a train entering the station, after the realignment, happy to be proved wrong but the fact the station operates as a continuous conveyor is relevant if that is the case. The trains are not far enough apart for the system to operate as 6 discreet blocks. If it didn't happen in the station then it isn't relevant at all.

As said these small bumps are not uncommon on MS spinners.
I agree 100% if the bump was in the station area, but from what I understood, it wasn't

Not 6 blocks, just six areas that function as mini-blocks. So if a train is stopped awaiting dispatch at the 'end' of the station, the friction wheels will stop spinning in area 2, for instance. I haven't worked on Spinball but that's the way another Maurer spinner functioned that I have worked on, I assume they are all the same but perhaps not.

It wasn't in the station, but it was in the station area.

MAIN-Alton-Towers-Sonic-Spin-Ride-fails.jpg

This is a photo of the "crash". It is just as its about to enter the station. As you can see, the carriages are not damaged, so it can't have been at full pace as the people making up a story victims claimed. It is also about to go into the station.

Personally, I find this type of story an insult to the people on the smiler crash, who went through ACTUAL pain, and whose lives have ACTUALLY been changed. I can justify them saying they never want to visit again, not the people who witnessed the octanauts experiencing technical issues.

Can we be certain that that image is from the incident in question?

In any event, the fact that they were advised to attend the medical centre does mean that this is a significant incident.

Think it is.

And yes, if you'd started saying that you think you have whiplash, crash or not, it's probably their policy to direct you to the first aid centre.

Is the red in front of the rear car the righting mechanism or the sensor bar?

Is it A or B? If it's B, that's not normal as has been described?

gTpMSP4.png

Last edited: