• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass Changes - November 2017

OK I think you are right about parking changing later (I checked internet archive) but I don't think the date exclusions have changed dramatically.
These were the resrictions in 2010 (from Marlin Annual Pass site via Internet Archive)
"Entry is subject to attraction operating calendars and the following exclusions apply to the Standard Merlin Annual Pass: No entry during the month of August at London Eye, Madame Tussauds London, London Dungeon and SEA LIFE London Aquarium. No entry during Fright Nights at THORPE PARK. Not valid for admission to The Castle Dungeon at Warwick Castle. No entry on 14th February at the London Eye. No entry on 30th and 31st October at the London Eye and The London Dungeon"
A standard pass was £150 and included parking.

The current exclusions are
"No entrance into any of Merlin’s Central London attractions during the month of August: The London Dungeon, SEA LIFE London Aquarium, DreamWorks Tours Shrek’s Adventure! London, Madame Tussauds London, and The Coca-Cola London Eye.
No entry to Madame Tussauds (London), the Coca-Cola London Eye, SEA LIFE London Aquarium, DreamWorks Tour Shrek’s Adventure! London and the London Dungeon including but not limited to January 1st 2017, January 2nd 2017, 14th April 2017, 17th April 2017, 1st May 2017, 29th May 2017, 26th December 2017.
No entry to the London Eye on 14th February.
No entry to the London Dungeon 28th October to 31st October 2017 (inclusive).
Secondary attractions at Warwick Castle including, but not limited to, the Castle Dungeon will be subject to additional charges. Secondary attractions/events at THORPE PARK Resort Theme Park including, but not limited to, Fright Nights, Summer Nights and Ministry of Sound.
Parking not included for Standard Passholders at any attraction."
A standard pass now costs £179.

So its only increased by £29 in seven years, and has lost free parking. The only major change in dates is excluding some holiday dates in London (New Years Day, Easter, half-term etc). and of course for 2018 August in the theme parks.

For what you get its still a very good price really if you are happy to exclude a handful of peak days.

I'm not talking about any perception of value. You're also taking my use of the word 'restrictions' too literally, although given it's the word Merlin use, it is my fault :) I'm talking about a general erosion of the standard pass' offerings, in order to try and boost revenue.

You used to be able to walk up to ALL London attractions with a standard annual pass, no pre booking.
Fright Nights used to be £5.
Plus the further erosion of offerings we have seen today, plus the ones you state, plus any I've not thought of off the top of my head - this emounts to progressive and continued erosion of the pass.

And @Rob, there are days where they would rather have fewer pass holders in the park, certainly. They have calculated revenue gains from this. The park very very very rarely hits capacity, so why would they want to reduce numbers if it was as I think you suggest - every annual pass guest is better than no guest. I'm not defending their calculations, but everything is about revenue maximisation of course, and it is obvious they have calculated things along the lines of what I suggest. Although I guess that if you think that they hope that those people will just go to Premium then I think we are in slight disagreement of their strategy, aside from the revenue maximisation endgame of course!

You think Merlin wonder if MAP holders can't visit the theme parks on August weekends they'll make MAP holders visit the Midways instead.

Also what happens if a MAP holder wants to visit Splash on an August weekend? Would the 20% discount still apply?

Going back to the passes, and everything else happening in the "magical world of Merlin", is it just me or is it really starting to come across more and more than those "wizards" with lots and lots of money can have a much better day out than those on lesser incomes?
I have written extensively about this in other threads. You're right - but that's the same with everything in life.

I'm surprised it took them this long. I've run out of ways to express my disgust for Merlin, so...

.... OK.

How much do the individual passes cost now? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it £109pp on Standard MAPs and £139pp on Premium MAPs?

Isn't it £159 for Standard and (now) £229 for Premium?

I don't get why the greed of Merlin is a surprise anymore. For me the winter period used to be fun, looking forward to what positive changes will be made to the parks, but instead it's become "how much will the prices go up by? How many hours will be cut from the opening times? How many days will the park be closed? What rides will be removed/left SBNO?

Going back to the passes, and everything else happening in the "magical world of Merlin", is it just me or is it really starting to come across more and more than those "wizards" with lots and lots of money can have a much better day out than those on lesser incomes

A lot of those standard pass holders visiting on off-peak weekends will likely have a better visit with shorter queues than premium pass holders on summer weekends.

Also having passes that are only valid on certain days is nothing new, many other parks have used blackout days for years.

The level of pass you can afford only relates to when you can go, not the quality of the visit once there.

Isn't it £159 for Standard and (now) £229 for Premium?

I don't get why the greed of Merlin is a surprise anymore. For me the winter period used to be fun, looking forward to what positive changes will be made to the parks, but instead it's become "how much will the prices go up by? How many hours will be cut from the opening times? How many days will the park be closed? What rides will be removed/left SBNO?
Well this winter there's SW8 reveals to look forward to!

Pathetic from Merlin, treating customers who've continued to support them over the last few years like an inconvenience.

Almost feel sorry for the people dealing with the MAP Facebook page today.

^ and without any customers this billion pound company wouldn't exist.

So yeah, each and every visitor to a Merlin attraction has supported them.

^ and without any customers this billion pound company wouldn't exist. So yeah, each and every visitor to a Merlin attraction has supported them.
As I've said a million times, if you hate what Merlin are doing or you hate their product, vote with your feet and go to a different park. That's the way to hurt them, but continuing to give the playground bully your lunch money whilst moaning about him to your friends is ludicrous. Take action.

What? Why are you even saying that to me?

I'm very much confused right now. I was just saying that every paying customer is technically showing 'support'...

@Lordy - more of an extension on what you said, rather than a response.

'Support' is still an odd word to use. You don't tend to use that word in an equivalent situation with almost any other business. They provide me with a service/goods in exchange for money.

This is nothing more than adding leverage to an upsell strategy.

There’s a £40 difference between a standard pass (£179) and a premium pass (£219). With the standard issue Merlin financial goggles on, financially from Merlin’s point of view that’s really not that much of a difference for the customer. The strategy is obvious and it’s used everywhere across all industries; hook the customer then lure them into something better than originally intended for a small incremental cost. Obviously they need leverage to do this and that’s what the further restrictions are for.

Despite their social feed outcry that followed their announcement, they’re onto a massive winner. I seem to recall paying £110 for my MAP in 2007 with discounted renewals. With inflation, in today’s money that’s £140. That against the cost of the premium MAP today is a £79 increase or 64%. Inflation on average is 2.7% per year, in Merlin world, their yearly inflation is about 6%. That’s nothing short of classic customer extortion, because they can, they essentially own the market.

It makes me wonder sometimes why they even bother with these classic sales tactics. They already utilise their market dominance in all aspects with their bullish approach, so why bother walking on eggshells about it?!

I renewed our 3 family premium maps in the summer sale for £119 each. Whilst I don’t agree with a lot of what Merlin do I think that’s a bargain, my family still enjoys the parks so not going would only be spiting ourselves.

that means we can't go back to the EV [...] basically any Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the Summer holidays?

Can't see Merlin wanting to jeopardise their (open) accommodation occupancy rates - wouldn't be surprised if there's an "unless you are staying at on-resort accommodation" clause shortly… :p

Talking of annual passes, I renewed mine and the missus on the last day of the Fireworks and the bloke did it me for the Premium Pass renewal price for a family and not individual. He put it through the till, I handed him the right amount that I was expecting to pay (£340, minus £2 change) and he said you've given me to much. I said how, I though it was £169 per pass and he got a sheet with prices and it said family pass 3 or more passes and he went 'oh well, I've put it through the system now.' So got them £278.00. Bargain! :p

I renewed our 3 family premium maps in the summer sale for £119 each. Whilst I don’t agree with a lot of what Merlin do I think that’s a bargain, my family still enjoys the parks so not going would only be spiting ourselves.

I agree 100% with this,our passes will be up for renewal in january and £129 each in the sale(with the £10 increase) is a total bargain IMO

To put things into perspective i've just looked on the BPB website and a 2018 season pass is £120