• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass 'Sale'

Made a bit of a big decision. For the first time in half a decade, I'm not going to renew my Merlin Annual Pass this year. This is predominantly for the following reasons:
  1. The removal of the MAP renewal discount shows a contempt for long-term customers, but also gets rid of the major downside of having an 'off-year' (i.e. having to pay the non-renewal price the year after).
  2. For the first time in living memory, literally nothing that any UK Merlin park is doing for 2015 is of any interest to me whatsoever. A major new ride at one of their UK parks each year is the LEAST that should be expected, given that they have four of 'em.
  3. Saving a bit of money for Florida.
  4. Half the stuff you get on the pass is just crap (Legoland, Chessington, Madame Boredbarnes).
  5. I want to have a fallow year to see if I can reignite my interest in Towers and Thorpe, particularly with interesting projects for those parks in 2016 and 2017 respectively.

It was meant to be an ‘apex’ year for Legoland until they failed to get the planning permission. I’m not going to write off their Heartlake City area until we know a bit more about it, but it does leave Britain’s second most visited theme park in a precarious position. Legoland has never needed the massive hardware to bring in the punters and in some ways it’s refreshing to see a UK park focus on live entertainment (a live show and meet and greets), but they can’t go many years without it starting to hurt their visitor numbers. Although there’s a bit of shadenfreude, I do kind of feel sorry for them. I think they’ve made the best of a bad situation. Nonetheless it leaves a gap, with only the Shrek attraction to really push.

I don’t think one season without new attractions should be a killer for Merlin, and it sounds like we’ll probably get a couple of big new rides in 2016. Having said that investment in new attractions has generally been one of the things Merlin are consistently good at, so a year without them could take its toll. Particularly given that the parks don’t spend much on traditional advertising anymore. When you rely on free publicity and courting the media it’s fine if you’ve got genuine ‘news’ for them to write about, but what do you do when your head office is telling you to get X amount of free media exposure, and there’s nothing happening? I suppose what we might see is a torrent of whacky publicity stunts, but that’s a doubt edged sword, as it kind of draws attention to the fact there isn’t any genuine news.
[I know this is a bit off topic, but kind of following on from Sam's comment about nothing new this year, and the effect it might have on their annual pass]

The big issue isn't so much that it's a year of small investments across the board, but that most of these parks haven't had anything for quite a while now. Towers is lucky in that they've had two big years back to back, so it's understandable that 2015 will be quiet. Thorpe and Cheasington haven't had anything of note since The Swarm and Zufari respectively, and neither of these rides set the world on fire upon opening. Re-themes are ok for one year, but as it stands it doesn't even look like Chessington are theming Dragon Falls like they said they would, and Thorpe haven't announced a single new attraction, show or just a 'turning the seats backwards'-type gimmick.

If I didn't live so close to Thorpe and Chessington, and as such I know I'll be visiting both at least once with friends, I wouldn't bother with the MAP this year. Like Sam said, there's nothing of note anywhere.

I'm now debating about whether to renew it my MAP or not and instead get an AT annual pass. The only reason I'm unsure is because a MAP is much easier to pay off as I live Down South.

I say again, all prejudice aside, having a year off from a MAP forces you to visit other parks. I'm not saying [for the same of argument] "Oakwood is better than Thorpe" (it blatantly isn't), but just have that one year off from Merlin parks, to visit the rest of the UK parks... even if you don't venture abroad. Your "credit count" will thank you! (Even if you don't care for such things).

I am both happy and, at the same time sad, to see various prominant members say they will not be renewing their MAPs. Sad because on a personal level, I don't want to see meet regulars abandon the community that brought us together... But happy in a perverse way because I hope that this will force us, as a community, to broaden our horizons and have "official" meets at new and excitintg parks.

Just to make it clear, While I will never deny my "Merlin hater" status (and prior to that, my roots as a MAP holder), if there is one thing we can take from this, it is an urge to visit new worlds and new civilisations... to boldly go where no geek has gone before!

(Infinitive-splitting not withstanding)

Hi guys,

Any ideas on how long the sale is on for?

Aparting from free parking (which is scandelous anyway because parking should be free at the places), is there any major differencein the standard or premium passes?

I have a standard pass but i was going to get a pass for my daughter so i'm toying with purchasing the premium pass in the sale.

Aparting from free parking (which is scandelous anyway because parking should be free at the places), is there any major differencein the standard or premium passes?

I have a standard pass but i was going to get a pass for my daughter so i'm toying with purchasing the premium pass in the sale.

With a standard pass you sometimes have to pay for special events such as the upcoming February half term event at Thorpe and Fright Nights at Thorpe. I think there are more date restrictions on London attractions also (and maybe Legoland).

:)

The Standard pass exclusions

NO ENTRY

Madame Tussauds London 14th - 31st May, 1st – 31st August

The London Eye 1st – 31st August, 14th February & 29th – 31st October

SEALIFE London Aquarium 1st – 31st August

London Dungeon 1st – 31st August, 29th – 31st October

Warwick Castle - Secondary Attractions at Warwick Castle including, but not limited to the Castle Dungeon will be subject to additional charges.

THORPE PARK Resort - An event booking fee will apply to Fright Nights and other special events at THORPE PARK Resort regardless of the time of entry or departure.

Bank Holidays - All London Attractions

Shrek’s Adventure 2015 - NO Entry with a Standard Merlin Annual Pass in 2015.

Basically if you want to go to London in August, get a premium pass. If you will visit theme parks and/or Warwick Castle more than six times in total (£5 each parking x 6 visits = £30 difference between passes), get a premium pass.

The Standard pass exclusions

NO ENTRY

Madame Tussauds London 14th - 31st May, 1st – 31st August

The London Eye 1st – 31st August, 14th February & 29th – 31st October

SEALIFE London Aquarium 1st – 31st August

London Dungeon 1st – 31st August, 29th – 31st October

Warwick Castle - Secondary Attractions at Warwick Castle including, but not limited to the Castle Dungeon will be subject to additional charges.

THORPE PARK Resort - An event booking fee will apply to Fright Nights and other special events at THORPE PARK Resort regardless of the time of entry or departure.

Bank Holidays - All London Attractions

Shrek’s Adventure 2015 - NO Entry with a Standard Merlin Annual Pass in 2015.

Basically if you want to go to London in August, get a premium pass. If you will visit theme parks and/or Warwick Castle more than six times in total (£5 each parking x 6 visits = £30 difference between passes), get a premium pass.

Ah excellent, thanks for that.

Does the pass let you in to ANY Sealife centre in the UK?

With the Alton Towers annual pass, I know you get free parking, but do you also get the 20% off food and drink and hotel stays?

With the Alton Towers annual pass, I know you get free parking, but do you also get the 20% off food and drink and hotel stays?
Pretty sure we get 20% off shops and restaurants but unsure about hotels. :)