• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass 'Sale'

Bythe way, I've not heard anything yet myself but others on Facebook have commented that they have been contacted by the ASA, and the ASA are now on the case.

"vote fun in 2015" o_O

Bet they spent hours thinking of having that at the end of all their messages this year lol.

Their language could improve, but it is also quite clear what they mean. I think this whole issue has just become a huge bandwagon now. If they released 10,000 words of terms and conditions of the sale everyone would have criticised them. With so many other issues going on with Merlin that really do need criticising, this one is far from significant in the grand scheme of things.

If its clear what they meant there wouldnt be literally thousands of people querying it on social media, and Merlin themselves wouldnt have admitted it was confusing. I think it is significant because it shows how the company respects its customers.

Their language could improve, but it is also quite clear what they mean. I think this whole issue has just become a huge bandwagon now. If they released 10,000 words of terms and conditions of the sale everyone would have criticised them. With so many other issues going on with Merlin that really do need criticising, this one is far from significant in the grand scheme of things.

The argument against that is the majority of people moaning on their pages are not geeks, these are the core target of the product (families who want to keep kids entertained). For Merlin as a "business" this is far worse than rotting theming and lack of maintenance, for PR.

This is a big PR screw-up and what is annoying is they do something similar every year. They really need to look at the way they organise the MAP team and the decisions that are being made.

I think merlin will have to tread carefull next year, some people have long memories. Get it right next year and the general public will chalk it up as a mistake and forget. Get it wrong and even more general public will get upset and walk away.

With these screw-ups happening every year it will become a common memory for those that usually forget. Merlin certainly need to sort themselves out by next year.

It's not like this is the first time they've made a cock-up. You would think they would have learnt by now.

I'm ending my sabbatical and becoming a pass holder again, I'm gambling that all this moaning you've all done has broken them and on Monday they're going to say you can have anything you want...

DFS get away with their never ending 'sale' because the sale is always only on a particular 'collection' of sofas - not the whole store's offering. So they just rotate round which collection is on sale, and keep within the trading rules of the higher cost having applied for 30 days.

Trading Standards do declare that:
Limited period promotions (such as 10% extra free) that relate to individual products may retain the unit price of the standard product for the period of the offer. Retailers may give additional information if they wish - for example, they may show the unit prices of both the standard and promotional products but they must be absolutely clear to which products they relate.
It definitely seems that Merlin have not been absolutely clear that the 'sale' price only applies to new MAP's and not to renewal MAPS. Yes, on the MAP site, on the 'buy a pass' webpage the prices are preceeded with the word 'sale', and it is not on the renewal webpage - but when above there is a different price crossed out for BOTH new and renewals, the assumption is going to be that both are effectively discounted, ie on sale, and the ridiculousness that there is no advantage at all to a loyal visitor renewing over a new purchaser is also sticking in the throat. (Not accounting for the email fiasco and the sudden price rises in advance of 2015 actually beginning either of course).

Not that it's much of a renewal in the technical sense of being a returning custormer - I mean every time I have renewed a MAP I have to tell them all my details all over again from scratch, have a new photo taken etc. There's no 'remembering' on the system that I already have a pass. At EP I've only had to give them my personal details once - they keep it on file so it only takes minutes to get a new AP and I can even keep the same photo if I prefer.

Of course it's no surprise that more people have bought Premium passes than they might have anticipated. When all the exclusion dates are essentially EVERY school holiday (ie August, half terms and bank holidays) and that's the time when families are going to have available to actually visit these attractions (because it won't be midweek in June!) which pass are they most likely to buy?! Especially when they can use their Tesco clubcard or Nectar points to buy a standard pass, and so many do. It doesn't take much to upgrade them (or at least upgrade one pass in the family to a premium for the free parking). Fork out £50 to upgrade to a premium when you've spent nothing purchasing them in the first place? Sure, why not.

As I've already stated, it isn't the price of the MAP that's a problem. Even with the price rises, which is always to be expected (and we do!) it IS really good value for money and we could easily be charged more - I mean I've just renewed my Europa Park annual pass this week, it cost me 165Euro. I've paid it off already, even with the winter season ticket prices. A trip to each Merlin theme park for one day and two midways would more than cover the cost of a Premium MAP - that's using the online advanced pre-booked prices, not the on the gate price btw! There's no arguing the value for money aspect at all.

But the customers themselves don't feel valued. Be it this renewal farce, the choice of naming of their passes and the marketing associated with them (the suggestion of Silver/Gold/Platinum is a far better one than sub-Standard/Premium-that-isnt-a-premium/VIP), the restrictions and changes of terms & conditions etc. When you don't feel valued, you do think twice about giving your custom to a place. The trouble is also Merlins sheer market dominance of the attractions and big theme parks in the UK and lack of competition that doesn't give us a lot of alternative choice. :/

I'm ending my sabbatical and becoming a pass holder again, I'm gambling that all this moaning you've all done has broken them and on Monday they're going to say you can have anything you want...

Course they wont - this is Merlin.

Your missing the point though Tom. Its not about the price. Its about the way they have done this. Its about the way they treat their "loyal" customers with such utter contempt and its about time people stand up for themselves rather than let them be walked over and make their feelings heard. Yeah, probably they will get a slap on the wrist from the ASA and thats it. But at least people have made it crystal clear (more than Merlin did) about how p'd off they are this time.

Wow they're getting mullered on their Facebook page!

Same stock replies also.

COPY PASTE COPY PASTE COPY PASTE responses, much like their attractions are becoming.

EDIT:
A couple of the responses made me chuckle - my responses in ():

"Over the past few years, we’ve added loads of new locations across the UK:
(That's nice, but I don't want to visit them).
we now have new attractions in Blackpool and Manchester (whoo! MANCHESTER), plus a completely new-look Dungeon in London (never go). On top of these new attractions, we’ve also invested in stunning new rides and fantastic themed lands at our other attractions – just think of CBeebies Land (bought you in a few quid too no doubt) and the Smiler at Alton Towers Resort (er, wouldn't use that to justify this years increase), Angry Birds Land at THORPE PARK ( tell me you didn't mention that...) and Duplo Valley in LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort (no comment not been), among others. In 2015 we are yet to invest in more attractions (yes, it seems that way, YET to invest indeed!) that our Passholders are able to experience. Although investing in these attractions and the price of day tickets increasing we kept our price the same (wow, so kind, so basically you kept ramping up prices everywhere else but decided to screw the pass holders in one go... also, your price rises affected everyone buying stuff IN the parks...). We have now decided that seeing as you're visiting us more (oh, that's not a good response to someone threatening to not renew... they er, wont be visiting you at all... Clever Merlin... anyway, how do you know? I visited LESS!) that the price for Standard and Premium Passholders has been changed. You are still able to use park for free at Chessington, Alton Towers and Thorpe Park Resort with a Premium Merlin Annual Pass aswell as many other discounts and advantages such as friends and family tickets, food and drinks in the attraction (prices rising, quality decreasing), discounts at hotels, preview events and many more.

Wow.

Merlin/PR. :confused::eek::D

Last edited:
.... not to mention that all that scaffolding (cough, theming) doesnt come cheap either....

Just read about the new restrictions on the standard passes.... anyone wanting to visit certain attractions (mainly London) will now have to pre-book - which incurs a £1 booking fee. ha haha ha ha - you buy the pass, then they charge you to use it as well. Oh Merlin, you are funny.

http://riderater.co.uk/2014/merlin-limits-annual-pass-attraction-access/

Wooooooah that's naughty!!

Good gracious, those restrictions and new terms along with everything else are atrocious!

I wouldn't mind if the company had made a loss but they're coining it in!!

Wow. You need a week to sit down and read the T&Cs nowadays just to fathom out how and when and what you can use a Standard Pass for.

That's disgusting.

Merlin, shocking, absolutely shocking. No excuses, no debate, just shocking.

They've been doing this for the Dungeon for a while now. It is disgusting that a Premium Pass holder have to pay £1 when we're guaranteed entry anyway. Their website for the Dungeon is so poorly written and explained! Why can't they just have a pass holder entrance?

I've never really had a problem with the timed entrance (had to wait about 30 minutes when it was REALLY busy once) but it's just very confusing to pass holders who are told you CAN prebook a time slot (and pay for it) and then be told somewhere in the garbled nonsense that Premium Pass holders are guaranteed entry.

What clowns are running this service?