• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Annual Pass - To renew or not to renew?

Will you be renewing your Merlin Pass or investing in one?

• Total voters
not really, if everyone in that group has a Pass thats over 18000 pass holders, so just a small drop in the ocean
18000 X £150(average) = £2.7M
260 x £150(average) = £39000

I would imagine they actually took more then 2.7m in earnings from Pass sales, the only people loosing out by not renewing are the actual guests.

Merlin won't even notice
That's not in proportion though. If the poll is representative of the overall feeling then 10,000 odd will renew, 4,000 undecided and about 3,000 not renewing.

To those opting for the specific Alton Towers pass, what's the point? From what I can work out the difference in price is only £19 and you lose out on a lot of perks.

I'm not trying to discourage people from visiting AT who want to but for those saying that the state of the park is unacceptable, your argument sort of comes undone once you say you're prepared to part with £120 for multiple return visits next year.

Merlin and Alton Towers aren't holding a gun to your head. You don't need to go. It won't stop you from being an enthusiast and it won't stop you from meeting friends. If you truly did believe that the park was overpriced and the standards were unacceptable, why would you even go there once? Let alone multiple times.

Using the restaurant analogy, it's like saying, "I went to this restaurant and it was terrible. The management have really let the place go. The service was bad, the place was filthy and half of the food wasn't available. I'm so displeased that I'm going to go back there and order a slightly less expensive meal. That'll show them."

As it stands I have an MAP that is due to expire in February. I will be getting some sort of pass next year and will have to see how the prices stack up and what is going to work out best value for myself. If a MAP is only a small amount more than a Towers pass and I think I'm likely to make just one trip to Thorpe Park then it may make financial sense. These last 12 months or so have proven that reduced guest numbers don't make Merlin care either so I have no plans to boycott Alton Towers.
To those opting for the specific Alton Towers pass, what's the point? From what I can work out the difference in price is only £19 and you lose out on a lot of perks.

I'm not trying to discourage people from visiting AT who want to but for those saying that the state of the park is unacceptable, your argument sort of comes undone once you say you're prepared to part with £120 for multiple return visits next year.

Merlin and Alton Towers aren't holding a gun to your head. You don't need to go. It won't stop you from being an enthusiast and it won't stop you from meeting friends. If you truly did believe that the park was overpriced and the standards were unacceptable, why would you even go there once? Let alone multiple times.

Using the restaurant analogy, it's like saying, "I went to this restaurant and it was terrible. The management have really let the place go. The service was bad, the place was filthy and half of the food wasn't available. I'm so displeased that I'm going to go back there and order a slightly less expensive meal. That'll show them."

Alton Towers is a big part of a lot of people's social lives. A huge part of TTF/TST over the many years we have been going is the meets. It's how we all met each other and continue to meet new people. I am not going to let Merlin put a stop to this part of my life, why should I? I don't want to be part of a closed community who only see each other on the odd occasion because we've stopped going to Alton Towers. Yes we can meet at other places but the reason we all know each other is because of our common interest in theme parks and Alton Towers.

Merlin parks are overpriced but ironically their annual passes are good value. They are far better value and offer a lot more than say Europa-Park's.

:)

The point is not to keep visiting indefinitely until Merlin do something bad enough to put you off. It should be the other way round. Your default position should be that you're not going. The park should be doing something good enough to tempt you back.

I'm in a tricky position because I agree with the sentiments that the park is in decline and that the cuts and ride closures are at odds with what makes a good theme park.

But I see so many people slate Towers and Merlin with such venom year on year, then every time it comes round to pass-renewal, they just capitulate and hand over their cash. I'm tired of all this complaining without any meaningful action to back it up.

I wish more enthusiasts would have the courage of their convictions. It's not about boycotting the park. There aren't enough of us to make even a tiny dent in AT's attendance. It's about getting value for ourselves and having standards. Now it seems that every time Merlin lower their standards, so do we.

Alton Towers aren't holding anyone's social life to ransom. It's everyone's individual choice to meet there. If a significant number of people are begrudgingly paying large amounts of money on something they'd rather not just to maintain social ties, that strikes me as being an unhealthy situation. It also has more in common with a closed community than a group of people who can meet anywhere.

It's the easiest thing in the world. If you don't like it, don't go. If you feel you can't live without Alton Towers in your life, you can opt out at any time by visiting the park.

I've given up trying to convince people to change their ways mate. It's futile. Let them wast their money on the same old tripe if they want.

When I visit Alton Towers I don't think "oh god, do I really have to go again? I suppose I'd better". I still enjoy going, I still enjoy riding rollercoasters, I still enjoy meeting my friends there. And yes, I still complain about aspects of the park (of course if I wasn't going I wouldn't complain as I wouldn't know what was or wasn't going on!)

Trust me, I would much rather my local park be somewhere like Europa-Park or Phantasialand and be able to go there on a regular basis instead. But they are not and my choice, as someone who likes to actively visit theme parks, is Alton Towers or Drayton Manor. Towers' coaster line-up alone ensures they win every day of the week there.

Of course it is an individual choice to meet there and we don't have to. But it is what many of us have been doing for many years, it's a place where we manage to have good fun in spite of what else is going on. I'm not defending Alton Towers or Merlin here, I'm just defending the stance of those who still choose to visit and enjoy our meet ups there. Maybe one day we will all finally have had enough - if that day comes it will be very sad.

:)

I've just been reading the MAP holders Facebook page and many of the sentiments from long time pass holders are similar to those on here. Most complaints are almost identical. If you've visited any of the Merlin parks on even a semi regular basis in the past decade, the decline in the parks is very obvious. You don't have to be a die hard fan or enthusiast to notice this.

The response by many on here and many general pass holders is not to renew. I completely respect that as I'm a firm believer that supply and demand works both ways. I remember shouting at the telly in rage once hearing some prat being interviewed banging on about how super stores are closing local butchers and bakers in his village - whilst he was stood in a Tesco car park loading his shopping into the boot of his car.

But Merlin won't really be concerned about any of this. They won't be worried about declining visitor numbers. They won't be worried about fewer MAP renewals. With the pricing and marketing, they'll just find some new customers. Despite the declining visitor numbers (not Legoland) in the parks, Merlin Entertainments LTD remains a rather successful and profitable PLC. It's very clear that they are not adopting the Tussauds formula of the early 90's of high investment, to attract high volumes and premium prices. The business is opting for upsale instead, the parks being the anchor for this rather than the cash generator itself. If we take the emotion out for a minute and look at the massive array of "deals" available to obtain tickets for the parks, and of course the keen pricing of the MAP, the entry price for the parks is actually very cheap. But then they want to charge you for the privilege of parking and try to encourage over night stays where the real money is made.

Reading the Merlin annual report, they might as well have spelt this out. They fully accept, and are actually quite casual about a decline in LFL park attendance but want to focus on running the parks more profitability. In other words, the resort theme parks format of the company are almost intentionally being downgraded. I'm as frustrated, angered and sadenned by this as most of you and perhaps I'm guilty of double standards by renewing my pass. But I still get good value out of it and will continue to buy a pass as long as I feel it was worth my money.

I will renew, 100%. I still love visiting the park and an MAP is the best way to do it. I've been going to Towers for decades now, and can't imagine a year in my life where I wouldn't visit.

As bad as the cuts are, is anyone here willing to not go on nemesis for an entire year?

I've gone on it every year since 1994. The idea of not going on it for even one year, regardless of what Merlin get up to, is unthinkable for me.

Indeed. That's what I hate about the 'if you don't like Merlin don't go' shouts.

To many of us, Alton Towers is more than just the people who own it. I mean, that's why we're all on here, right?

To be overly romantic and sentimental, to be honest a bit tragic about it, (nicely balancing the moan I've just done about the place in a different topic I suppose), apart from the rides themselves mostly being great regardless of who's collecting the money they generate, Alton Towers has years of good memories attached, many of us have made friendships because of it through meets and such, for many of us it sparked off the erm, above average interests we have in amusement parks and therefore has left a massive imprint on our lives, lifestyles, and indeed who we are. Continuing to go means I stay connected to all this. And get to ride some great coasters, which is something I enjoy quite a bit.

I'm a sucker and as much as it's effectively me giving my consent for Merlin to do what they're doing, I will continue to get a pass for all the reasons above. I think the price is fair in terms of emotional value, if not material value. And because like everyone else born on this rainy little island, I love an excuse to have a moan.

And while I'm fully on board with people who choose not to go, for me it is not an option and I think it's rude to tell people to swerve the place just because they don't like how it is at this exact moment.

I've done Towers every year for the last three decades, but this year was my first year with a pass.
Most recent years I haven't spent a penny on admission, using the Sun vouchers, not even buying the paper a lot of the time, just scrounging the vouchers off the newsagent or (sad) Sunreaders.
You can do the park without buying a pass, you can blag a return pass at the box office cheap and do it twice in a year for around a tenner, much better value than a pass for the occasional visitor.
Last year I had 2 days at Towers and 2 days at Thorpe for a total cost of twenty quid, when coupled with a BPB pass for 80 quid, I did coasters every week for less than £100.
This year was fewer coasters and less fun for more money.
As long as the vouchers are running again next year I will do coasters every week of the season from mid February to Mid November for less than £100, without putting more than £20 into Merlin's coffers.

Nope, not renewing mine. The only reason why I renewed last year was due to the social aspect, but I'm hoping to get around that by going on foreign meets next year. Possibly maybe getting a Thorpe Park annual pass because I can't justify visiting Towers these days considering the journey.

I jumped on the Towers AP bandwagon this year. I missed the MAP sale so the idea of spending £230 (!!) for an annual pass is ridiculous, when the majority of my park visits will be to Towers and I have little interest in visiting the midway attractions.

I go to Alton not just for a day out and rides but to meet friends and make memories. The amount of memories and good times I have invested in that place over the years exceeds the value of any Annual Pass. I've had a pass now for probably 7-8 years. I did think about not renewing last year but in the sale, a £120 pass is extremely good value for money, not just for visiting AT but any of the attractions, and it certainly comes in handy when I pop into London. So for me, as much as we grumble about AT, at the moment, a pass makes financial sense!