• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Merlin Interested in Purchasing Busch Gardens Theme Parks?

Considering it is a tarnished brand, if Merlin did buy Sea World I wonder would they rebrand it with the Sea Life brand.

If Merlin bought Sea World then they would go against everything the Sealife (and therefore Merlin) brand currently stands for. They would inherit Orca, Pilot Whale and Dolphin.

SEA LIFE began as a small seal sanctuary on the beautiful banks of Loch Creran in Oban, Scotland. Almost 40 years, 50 aquariums and nearly 150,000 creatures later we’re now the largest aquarium organisation in the world – but that doesn’t mean we’ve lost our roots. Since we began back in 1979 we’ve held firm to the belief that cetaceans – marine mammals like whales and dolphins – should not be kept in captivity.

But what happened to the Dolphins at Heide Park and Gardaland I hear you ask? Well they got off loaded into other parks while they claimed they were going to create "a marine sanctuary for their retired dolphins". This was in 2012 and has not happened. Also Merlin bought Chang Feng Ocean World in 2012 which have wild caught Beluga whales who were captured in 2009.

So in a roundabout way, if money is involved then I am sure Merlin will not look at its ethical policy and would look instead to the potential profit they could make for themselves and their shareholders.

I personally do not think Merlin will want to go anywhere near the SeaWorld parks and all of the associated problems. Surely the risk involved is far too large?

:)

Get rid of the Orcas and Dolphins and rebrand the parks and I don't see why they wouldnt want to as long as the price is right.

If they don't want the Sea World parks then I don't see how SEAS have much of a choice in the matter. They need the capital to protect the core of the business so offloading the BG parks when approached seems logical. They may not WANT to split the group up but that doesn't mean they won't.

It's not quite as simple as "getting rid" of the cetaceans, there is nowhere else for them to go and I'm sure that you are not advocating putting them down.
No. But they are a problem Merlin would inherit so they can phase them out of the parks/retire them and look after them in to meantime.

Last edited:
No. But they are a problem Merlin would inherit so they can phase them out of the parks/retire them and look after them in to meantime.

I consider the cetaceans a huge asset rather than a problem however SeaWorld has Dolphins at 60 years of age, far older than the wild average age of around 25. It would be one hell of a long term problem for Merlin. It is just all way too complicated without even considering the riot that the zoological department staff would throw.

I consider the cetaceans a huge asset rather than a problem however SeaWorld has Dolphins at 60 years of age, far older than the wild average age of around 25. It would be one hell of a long term problem for Merlin. It is just all way too complicated without even considering the riot that the zoological department staff would throw.
It wouldn't be easy and is far from an ideal scenario, but at least they could show intent to change. If Merlin negotiated with the headache of the problem they have in mind, many shareholders may be happy to cut their losses and accept a possible equity deal in Merlin and Merlin significantly expand their portfolio without having to pay much for it.

I don't think the cetaceans are an asset at all. I think the controversy surrounding their captivity outweighs any draw of customers to the park, or it will in coming years at least. Merlin could sell this as new owners "correcting the wrongs of the past" and dissociate them selves from that.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who can't hear / see the word "cetacean" without thinking of Star Trek IV?

It wouldn't be easy and is far from an ideal scenario, but at least they could show intent to change. If Merlin negotiated with the headache of the problem they have in mind, many shareholders may be happy to cut their losses and accept a possible equity deal in Merlin and Merlin significantly expand their portfolio without having to pay much for it.

I don't think the cetaceans are an asset at all. I think the controversy surrounding their captivity outweighs any draw of customers to the park, or it will in coming years at least. Merlin could sell this as new owners "correcting the wrongs of the past" and dissociate them selves from that.

Killer Whales are still the main attraction at SeaWorld, there's no two ways about it. But you are right, there are also a put off for many people. I really don't think the other cetacean species have put many people outside of PETA off, facilities in the west like Georgia Aquarium & Loro Parque are experiencing record attendance. (Loro Parque even keeps Orcas)

QTX64a6.png

I think this could be a challenge for Merlin. While Seaworld's approach and attitude is decidedly more low-key than Disney and Universal, their food, upkeep and entertainment is of a far higher quality than anything Merlin currently offer at any of their parks. This isn't something they can let slip, either, given the ruthlessness and standard of competition at either end of the street.

"Pressure from conservation organisations"

Give me a break. Honestly, it's as bad as the reporting on The Smiler has been over here if not worse.

But the pressure is there and has been well reported upon Mako,I know you are a big fan of the corporation, but that seems fair comment to me.
If it wasn't for the issue of "pressure from conservation organisations", they probably wouldn't be looking for a buyer.

But the pressure is there and has been well reported upon Mako,I know you are a big fan of the corporation, but that seems fair comment to me.
If it wasn't for the issue of "pressure from conservation organisations", they probably wouldn't be looking for a buyer.

I'm not arguing that there hasn't been pressure, there certainly has. I was saying that the pressure is not coming from conservation organisations but rather it originates from extremist groups who will not be satisfied until there is not a single fish in a tank and we are all eating grass. The allegations of these groups have then been reported as facts by most of the media (with a few exceptions), much like how the Daily Mirror and others report on The Smiler.

Conservation organisations such as WWF and The American Humane Association work with SeaWorld, not against them.

:)

Last edited: