• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Midweek Theme Park Closures

Fireworks on Friday in 2015 just gone was a complete ghost town, even relatively speaking to the parks overall lower attendance. Every ride was a walk on all day, except for Spinball just before the fireworks started.

Not a surprising cut given the expense of running such an event.

Moved this thread from Future Discussion to General Discussion now that the season has started.

I suppose days like today justify (from Towers' point of view) the decision to close the park on some mid-week days. Looking on Ride Times every singe ride at Towers has a 0 minute queue today.

:)

Moved this thread from Future Discussion to General Discussion now that the season has started.

I suppose days like today justify (from Towers' point of view) the decision to close the park on some mid-week days. Looking on Ride Times every singe ride at Towers has a 0 minute queue today.

Every Cbeebies ride is zero too, do you think its genuinely that quiet or they just didn't update times? :)

Every Cbeebies ride is zero too, do you think its genuinely that quiet or they just didn't update times? :)

I honestly think it will be as quiet as ridetimes is saying. The beginning of the season (especially mid week) is notorious for being quiet. Couple that with the negative press from what has happened previously I think this was always going to be the case unfortunately.

I honestly think it will be as quiet as ridetimes is saying. The beginning of the season (especially mid week) is notorious for being quiet. Couple that with the negative press from what has happened previously I think this was always going to be the case unfortunately.
And the fact that galactica opens in a few days. Why go now, when in a few days you can have a (nearly) complete line up.

Today was a "perfect zero" day. That is, all day long, every ride on park advertised a queue time of 0 minutes, for the entire day, without exception.

Last season, there were only 5 "perfect zero" days (in the period I recorded queue times at least), so it really was very quiet indeed. Normally at least some of the Cbeebies rides will post a 5 or 10 minute wait, but with the Easter holidays coming up, and Galactica not even open yet, there really is very little motivation for anyone to visit this week. The slight busyness of Saturday seems purely driven by Smiler fans, the number of which it seems took even Alton themselves by surprise as there was very little catering provision. The attendance on Sunday was probably more inline with what they expected for the weekend before Easter.

It was definitely a zero queue day today ... I was on park and I've never seen it so quiet! Walk on The Smiler all day long and even had to wait to get 8 people before they could send trains out :eek: got plenty rides in though so I'm not complaining! The park needs more people to build some atmosphere but there's plenty more season to come :):)

Yes,
perfect zero day indeed,
plenty of people about,
but no queues at all,
apart from front seat queues.
ERT on the coasters just didn't happen,
and no cablecars was cost cutting foot ache.

If past form is anything to go by I would get used to not using the Skyride on off-peak traditionally quiet days. Just see it as a chance to enjoy the scenery in the gardens ;)

nawww Towers are really looking out for us, close the skyride so we have to walk every where, close all food outlets so we cant eat, by the end of season we will all be muscle bound fit Adonises, with quads the size of a house .
Oh yeah :)

If past form is anything to go by I would get used to not using the Skyride on off-peak traditionally quiet days. Just see it as a chance to enjoy the scenery in the gardens ;)
That depends if you have asthma though, as it might be hard with that "infectious plant fungi" that is devastating all the trees in the flume area ;)
(Though as a side note, I think I'm actually allergic to dark forrest as my arms swell and get itchy if I queue for 13.)

That depends if you have asthma though, as it might be hard with that "infectious plant fungi" that is devastating all the trees in the flume area ;)
(Though as a side note, I think I'm actually allergic to dark forrest as my arms swell and get itchy if I queue for 13.)
Ok, allergic to DF. Your last name is not birch, beech, oak, maple. Or any other tree names

Towers is meant to be open today right? Everything on Ride Times is showing as closed!

Also yesterday Alton Towers on Twitter were blaming Merlin for the midweek closures, stating that it was Merlin's decision to close the park on certain days. Interesting that they would choose to blame those up above!

Towers is meant to be open today right? Everything on Ride Times is showing as closed!

Also yesterday Alton Towers on Twitter were blaming Merlin for the midweek closures, stating that it was Merlin's decision to close the park on certain days. Interesting that they would choose to blame those up above!

Yep supposed to be open!

And I thought it was my computer frozen ;)

Probably the mid week closure was so successful in saving money, they decided to close the park today as well. ;)

I've never see so many rides SBNO in one day ;)

What I've been told yesterday from a member off staff at a sealife centre, is that Merlin are the ones pulling the purse strings. Even they are restricted with budgets and cuts as a result of Merlin.

Cutting the budget this year at these attractions when Merlin are overall up on their profits last year is a disgrace :mad:

Roy :)

Everything was open today,
apart from Hex etc of course,
even the monorail and skyride.
Park slowly getting a bit busier,
more people about,
but I didn't have a single queue all day,
well apart from the M6, M62, M60 and M61 that is.

Has anyone else heard? A member of staff told me that last Tuesday 19-4-16 on a bright sunny warm April day the car park was full of cars taking people out for a nice family day out only to find it closed. Is this true or just a story??

Has anyone else heard? A member of staff told me that last Tuesday 19-4-16 on a bright sunny warm April day the car park was full of cars taking people out for a nice family day out only to find it closed. Is this true or just a story??
Well, it wouldn't surprise me if this did actually happen.