• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Monorail Refurbishment

I was going to say wasn't it Shapner, Leonard Nemoy opened the Springfield monorail in the Simpsons.
I can't remember much about that episode other than the Monorail song, but if it wasn't story related, is it possible The Simpsons uses Leonard Nemoy (and asked George Takei) because William Shatner opened the monorail at Towers?

I can't remember much about that episode other than the Monorail song, but if it wasn't story related, is it possible The Simpsons uses Leonard Nemoy (and asked George Takei) because William Shatner opened the monorail at Towers?
I was thinking the same thing. Marge vs The Monorail first aired in 1993, a few years after AT's monorail opened. In the episode, it appears the aesthetic design is loosely designed around a Disney installation as it has the side gaurds that cover the side of the track on it.

Or we could just be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 342.5 as the Star Trek relationship could have come from monorails being seen as futuristic/sci fi influenced at the time. Alton also named theirs after planets which could have lent itself to a space theme. Watching the episode, there is no particular reason why Nimoy is there other than to make a guest appearance, so who knows. Perhaps a Simpsons producer saw a news report of Takei and Shapner opening a monorail at a theme park somewhere and this sparked an idea? It's nice to think that a little fledgling UK park could've influenced a Simpsons episode to some degree however.

Sorry to bump this thread,
I wondered if anyone thought it would be possible we'll see any work on the monorail for next year? Obviously I don't see a full scale refurb but perhaps a bit of painting?
Personally, I think we'll see very little different in the monorail next year even if it was it a bit of a state this year.

The monorail has needed a lot of work doing for some time now, I fear they're just leaving it to rot until they can write it off completely.

Hopefully not, but they've been planning for life without it.

The monorail has needed a lot of work doing for some time now, I fear they're just leaving it to rot until they can write it off completely.

Hopefully not, but they've been planning for life without it.
I too fear they are heading in this direction but I really hope not.
Air gates.
I very much doubt it even if it would make sense and allow them to get the monorail up to a sensible capacity.

Do you mean the money they've spent on the path from the car park and the hotel entrance to the park over the last few years?
There were plans for new permanent entrances where they've built the path from the car park to Galactica and another one along the service path to the left of Nemesis, I think this was on the LTDP from years ago.

It would be a whole lot cheaper to do that than keep the monorail limping on for another few years, not to mention the general running costs.

I think it would "ruin the magic" if the entrance was moved. There's something special about walking down Towers Street and seeing the Towers. It's also a great commercial opportunity for guests leaving with Towers Trading plus the various cafes and food stalls.

Refurbishing the monorail should be their aim. Removing those awful vinyls from the windows would be a good starting point with negligible cost.

I think it would "ruin the magic" if the entrance was moved. There's something special about walking down Towers Street and seeing the Towers. It's also a great commercial opportunity for guests leaving with Towers Trading plus the various cafes and food stalls.
I've thought this myself, it just wouldn't make sense in my opinion. I can't imagine not walking under the Corkscrew and down Towers Street. There aren't many parks where you can't see any rides from the entrance turnstiles. Makes it feel like you're entering a secret place. :)

If they remove the film off the windows I’ll be very happy
I mean if they really want film on the windows, then I'm sure Leek Signs could provide 2-way mirror type-film that has prints on the outside? It would make it darker to look out of but at least you wouldn't go mad trying to look through tiny holes!

Got to be honest, I don’t think it’s as simple as just removing the film. Those windows were an absolute state, and part of the reason why they were covered in the first place. Lots of scratches, graffiti and scuff marks where the graffiti had been sanded off too. The one benefit of the holed vinyl is that it’s doing a good job of hiding all that mess.

The bellows between the carriages are literally rotting away now too and are in desperate need of replacement, that’s on top of the general grime and mould on them too. Lots of work to bring them up to any sort of acceptable standard, and sadly I don’t think there’s any cheap fix for them now.

Putting the cost aside and any potential repair work on it but is the track still "modern" enough to have brand new trains on it? Is there any new legislation in place that means that the current track design can no longer be used for new installations/refurbs?

I used to do multiple visits every year to Towers, even though I live so far away. As the quality has deteriorated over the years, so has my willingness to visit. I got rid of my MAP before the 2018 season began and bought a Season Pass instead as I knew I'd be visiting less. Did the same in 2019 and only visited 3 times that year. 2020 (even before Covid) I didn't intend on even buying a pass and only visited twice. With the events, better opening hours, a new dark ride and 4 flats I was enticed to visit 3 times this season with 2 overnight stays. But as the park downgrades it's experience, I downgrade my level of custom.

Point being, if the monorail goes and they just whack a path and some turnstiles into the park adjoining a random in park pathway, it'll be the single biggest park downgrade since the savage closures of 2016. Not so much a nail in the coffin of a class experience at AT, but another massive iron rivet. Would practically cease to be a proper "theme" park pretty much after that, I'd view it as some beautiful grounds with an amusement park attached and nothing more. I'd probably only visit once every couple of years, maybe at Scarefest, just to get my fix on the coasters.

The monorail should be added to the long list of essential experience investments the park needs. But sadly, I don't think it is.

I used to do multiple visits every year to Towers, even though I live so far away. As the quality has deteriorated over the years, so has my willingness to visit. I got rid of my MAP before the 2018 season began and bought a Season Pass instead as I knew I'd be visiting less. Did the same in 2019 and only visited 3 times that year. 2020 (even before Covid) I didn't intend on even buying a pass and only visited twice. With the events, better opening hours, a new dark ride and 4 flats I was enticed to visit 3 times this season with 2 overnight stays. But as the park downgrades it's experience, I downgrade my level of custom.

Point being, if the monorail goes and they just whack a path and some turnstiles into the park adjoining a random in park pathway, it'll be the single biggest park downgrade since the savage closures of 2016. Not so much a nail in the coffin of a class experience at AT, but another massive iron rivet. Would practically cease to be a proper "theme" park pretty much after that, I'd view it as some beautiful grounds with an amusement park attached and nothing more. I'd probably only visit once every couple of years, maybe at Scarefest, just to get my fix on the coasters.

The monorail should be added to the long list of essential experience investments the park needs. But sadly, I don't think it is.
A very heartfelt post and I must agree. I think the park is looking in a better direction than they did before the pandemic and the privitation of Merlin does seem to already be having a impact on park experience. Personally, I can't see them moving the entrance. They know just how iconic the current entrance street is and I see no reason for them to move it. The monorail will probably be left in a bit of a state for the foreseeable future. I imagine it will get minimal repairs until someone releases its too bad to operate and they'll finally do some major work. Realistically, that could be well over 5 years away at this point. I don't see them removing it and when it comes to them doing it up it'll be done on as small as budget as possible while being able to carry out all work needed.

I know it sounds stupid but I just have a personal feeling that they won't scrap it and that eventually it will have some major work. I just don't see that happening for at least 5 years and likely longer than that.

I know it sounds stupid but I just have a personal feeling that they won't scrap it and that eventually it will have some major work. I just don't see that happening for at least 5 years and likely longer than that.
The problem is, they longer they leave it the worse it'll get and the more work it'll need (and the more it'll cost to do said work). Leave it too long and it'll be unsalvageable or too expensive.

The problem is, they longer they leave it the worse it'll get and the more work it'll need (and the more it'll cost to do said work). Leave it too long and it'll be unsalvageable or too expensive.
Equally, if the strategy is to replace the trains or retire the whole system, getting as many years as you can out of the existing rolling stock is sensible.

Not for a minute suggesting I am supporting the removal of the Monorail but I can't remember the last time we used it. Must be at least five years. We always seem to end up parked close to the barriers so it seems insane to walk toward the Monorail rather than the park.

Equally, if the strategy is to replace the trains or retire the whole system, getting as many years as you can out of the existing rolling stock is sensible.

Not for a minute suggesting I am supporting the removal of the Monorail but I can't remember the last time we used it. Must be at least five years. We always seem to end up parked close to the barriers so it seems insane to walk toward the Monorail rather than the park.
Yeah I think the last time I used it was in early 2018. Since then I've walked or got express parking.