• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Monorail Refurbishment

I actually don’t mind the colour and think once the leaves come on the trees it will look quite good next to the green.

However, I take it they are going to just slop paint over the wood at the top that is clearly knackered and should be replaced?

92F9F7F8-B9F0-4D9C-A014-C450863B4AA3.jpeg
The colour seems adequate to me. Not especially bad or good.
I agree that the wood needs replacing.

Why stop there? They may as well use the leftover paint to slop it all over the entrance plaza, all the bins and all fences whilst they're at it. Nothing like brand uniformity to welcome you to a "theme" park for the day.

Still think it's crazy the station is still going to look like a garden centre for the foreseeable with all that wooden trellis business! Do we think there's a possibility of "Managed Decline" here until a new entrance is created near Forbidden Valley? I love Towers Street and the views that come with it, but without the monorail, it becomes difficult to reason keeping the entrance there. I say "without the monorail" because it's really, really old for what it is. Monorail's typically don't survive this long without a complete re-track, new trains etc. (Although my perspective is probably somewhat clouded as I'm thinking of urban monorails)

The Singapore monorail is an excellent model to follow. It only has two carriages, but they're longer, wider and more comfortable. They also run much more frequently. Strangely enough it was also built to replace a smaller-scale, older system.

It functions very much like the Alton one, taking passengers from the city and hotels to various resorts including Universal Studios. It's twin-track also, another similarity. It's obviously a lot more substantial and so replacing the AT one with something akin to it would be a pricey job. I'm normally inclined to say monorails as a concept are outdated and cost inefficient, but for the purpose of theme parks and resorts etc they have their place. They should keep up with current technology though if we're serious about keeping one at the park!

If routing new, more substantial monorail infrastructure through the park becomes operationally difficult in terms of fitting it in (loading gauge) and possibly disrupting the park below, given its purpose as a shuttle, I personally wouldn't be opposed to a new route following the entry road. It'd be more of a utility than an attraction, but throughput would be much, much higher (goodbye queues!) and journey times much quicker.

The alternative of course is you have a bus shuttle, which is fine as it does the same job at a similar speed. It just lacks the "Experience" a monorail gives which is part of the fun of theme parks where escapism is important. People get the bus to work every day, that's boring, they've looking for escapism, give it to them!

:D

9.jpeg

If you apply modern standards and a higher maximum speed of 40-50mph (Desirable to make long queues a thing of the past) you get something like this:

mon3.jpg
mon2.jpg
mon1.jpg

You'll note the resort station is now physically connected to a new parking structure, that would replace the majority of the existing surface car park, freeing up the space for a park extension. It also creates a nice "Piazza" between Splash Landings & the Monorail & parking structure. This could be extended further to reach ATH & the lodges.

With higher top speeds you should only need 2-3 three-car units max to achieve the desired throughput. The whole thing can be fully automated and with less units, be much more cost-effective. You'd be looking at a 3min end-to-end trip.

Last edited:
Thick question ... In the below (posted in the Sun Terra thread of doom) ... It mentions abandoned trains (plural) - have they given up on another in addition to Daisy ?

If so, which one ?

In what is a truly thrilling development, I noticed in the below video that the Sub Terra building appears to have sections of a new paint job, perhaps testing out different colour(s). Seen briefly from 0:12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not sure if it's still there but for many years there was an unthemed abandoned train sat somewhere near the monorail maintenance area, formed of two damaged halves of trains that collided near one of the stations.

All 8 surviving trains are clearly visible on the storage tracks in that video, though I've no idea which ones they actually plan on using

Or on a new monorail
Yep the priority should be making sure the monorail trains can run, then actually running it efficiently (get air gates if the risk assessment won't allow waiting on platform like a normal station), then sorting out the tents for secuiriy into something more permanent.

Compared to the monorail and the tents nothing needs doing to Towers St inside the park, except maybe opening up the restauant.

Talking about theme part transit, monorails are generally unreliable and inflexible. Most places that had them have removed them. They are whimsical and exciting and I am hopeful that the park invests in a lovely up-to-date system - but from a practical point of view a couple of busses would make more sense. They would be cheaper, more flexible and are generally easier to maintain.

In the park, transit is also desperately needed and getting the Sky Ride functioning should be the highest of priorities. I would love to see a secondary in-park transit (the return of the Alton Towers train would be phenomenal!) even if it would be a simple road train.

Buses don't work. Towers don't have the access roads available in the right places for it to be a good idea. If it were up to me, I'd have 3 stations on the new Monorail as well instead of 2. Main Entrance, Splash/ATH and a new one for Cbeebies/Shed/Lodges.

Buses don't work
Walt Disney World operates 325 buses, but only a fleet of 12 monorail trains. When they expand their transit system, they don't expand their monorail. Buses work for them. In fact most parks do chose buses as their transit system simply because they are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain and hugely flexible. Buses absolutely do work, and they work better than monorails. If anything, you should really say 'monorails don't work' - really where do you see monorails out-performing buses? Plus, if a monorail train breaks down, it can be driven around and as such the whole system just stops.
In terms of access roads - things could be re-jigged quite easily to make it work. The great thing about Towers access roads is that they are one-way. This means the 'entry' roads are busy in the morning and the 'exit' roads busy in the PM. So, roughly speaking, you could say 50% of their roads are unused at any time.

If anything ever replaces the Monorail, I agree with @Poisson that it needs to stretch down to the Enchanted Village/Stargazing Pods/CBeebies Land Hotel belt as well. These accommodation options are now quite a walk from the current car park Monorail station in themselves, so if guests are staying in the Enchanted Village, for instance, then the system’s benefit of reducing the burden on guests with mobility issues is arguably somewhat void to a degree, as they still have to get from their accommodation to the Monorail station.

I do think buses or land trains would be more economically feasible than a Monorail extension or a replacement monorail, though, and could easily be implemented on Alton Towers’ roads with some rejigging.

Do people have much spare change on them these days? I wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t more about contactless payments when it comes to those kind of arcades or buying packs of tokens rather than using change.

Different arcades do different things now. There are always cash/change machines in cash-only arcades; some use pre-paid cards now. I know Towers did the pre-paid card thing a few years ago, then reverted to cash, I am not sure what they do now. Either way an arcade on Towers Street I feel would work.

Walt Disney World operates 325 buses, but only a fleet of 12 monorail trains. When they expand their transit system, they don't expand their monorail. Buses work for them. In fact most parks do chose buses as their transit system simply because they are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain and hugely flexible. Buses absolutely do work, and they work better than monorails. If anything, you should really say 'monorails don't work' - really where do you see monorails out-performing buses? Plus, if a monorail train breaks down, it can be driven around and as such the whole system just stops.
In terms of access roads - things could be re-jigged quite easily to make it work. The great thing about Towers access roads is that they are one-way. This means the 'entry' roads are busy in the morning and the 'exit' roads busy in the PM. So, roughly speaking, you could say 50% of their roads are unused at any time.

I think comparing it to WDW is a bit unfair given the difference in scale. Alton Towers is one park with one straight route to/from the car park/hotels. WDW is effectively a city with multiple routes and parks.

Buses could work at Towers. I guess it's a case for Towers on whether a different transportation system would be more beneficial than refurbishing the existing monorail system. Any other alternative would result in the current monorail system needing to be demolished, a new transport network (roads, signage, change of public paths etc) and investment in a new transportation mode, so it's not necessarily an easy or simple task.

I would lean more toward land trains as opposed to buses should the monorail ever go.

Good shout @Poisson re: Shed/Lodges station. As someone who's had the (dis)pleasure of walking the arse end of EV to the monorail and even the park entrance once, it's a heck of a walk at the start of your magical day out!

If anything ever replaces the Monorail, I agree with @Poisson that it needs to stretch down to the Enchanted Village/Stargazing Pods/CBeebies Land Hotel belt as well. These accommodation options are now quite a walk from the current car park Monorail station in themselves, so if guests are staying in the Enchanted Village, for instance, then the system’s benefit of reducing the burden on guests with mobility issues is arguably somewhat void to a degree, as they still have to get from their accommodation to the Monorail station.

I do think buses or land trains would be more economically feasible than a Monorail extension or a replacement monorail, though, and could easily be implemented on Alton Towers’ roads with some rejigging.
I agree as well. It can definitely be a bit difficult for people with mobility issues to get from their hotel to the monorail.

It's this junction that'd be a bugger

1695240654256.png

The land to the right is not owned by the park. If the park was happy to sacrifice minibus parking access it might work if they made it bus only access so the buses don't need to use the main drive. Any route using the main drive would not work.

They don't own the grass overflow car parks either? Or is that the next field? ( apologies for going of topic )