• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Monorail Stations

mrbrightside said:
hex4ever said:
it's become a cattle pen prison to forcibly expose people to the adverts and tell them about the "new fantastic offer".
Ironically though, it hasn't! Half the time the cattle pen isn't used and in the plaza station, the videos either don't work or the audio has been switched to the old music...

I was talking more about the station by the car park, inside there I don't think I have ever heard it without some sort of advertisement. As for the plaza station, I choose to walk back just because of the sheer fact that it is an uninviting environment and I would rather walk than wait.

The monorail stations definitely need some attention, they are looking worn and a little worse for where. I really don't see it happening though, at least not in a big way. Work to the monorail stations will not bring in more guests or money, therefore it is unlikely Merlin will sign off any major changes. The biggest hope of work on them is if Towers have a large-ish re-brand in the near future, then the stations could be done up in a way to fit in with the new brand.

On a personal note, I would love a new mural at the car park station to replace the one we so tragically lost. There needs to be something that gives off a bit of a "WOW" factor as when people arrive at the park there is a big chance that the first thing they experience will be that car park station.

:)

DaveW said:
i cant see new TVs in the monorail station any time soon. they cant even get the TVs to work in their new headline attractions queue line

Didn't they have a few new TV's at the start of this year though in the car park monorail station? For a short period, I'm pretty certain they did....And then they got moved to Sub-Terra or something.

That, or I dreamt it :p

Ellie said:
DaveW said:
i cant see new TVs in the monorail station any time soon. they cant even get the TVs to work in their new headline attractions queue line

Didn't they have a few new TV's at the start of this year though in the car park monorail station? For a short period, I'm pretty certain they did....And then they got moved to Sub-Terra or something.

That, or I dreamt it :p

There are new TV's in the car park station, but not in the park entrance station. And I agree with a poster before that there really is no point in advertising tickets to return or annual passes at the park entrance station unless there is a stand to buy these upon exiting the monorail, as people won't leave the monorail queue to buy them! (I'm surprised they haven't thought about it).

I haven't used the monorail in several years, instead opting to walk. However, I've always remembered it as the start of the days magic, and I think that it should be spruced up to really set the tone for the day.

The new music should be done with a twist on each train, then I would prefer it to each audio. The stations wall itself are peeling and are in need of a repaint but as it's usually dark enough to notice I think it'll just be left. Replace the TV's with a updated video even if we get less of them for some LCD's! I'd also spread the vending machines out more a bit over the first stretch but maybe that's just me. I only eer see one machine be used, nor the juice or Ben and Jerry's. It should create more build up, I'd just wish everyone a good day when directing them to their train and the Alton staff spirit should create some.

I looked up at the TVs in the Towers Street station - I can't believe it's prompting discussion.

Park goers look at what's showing on the TV and enjoy the content. Enthusiasts determine the age and model of the unit and exclaim it needs to be replaced.

They use CRTs because they were built with CRTs. They're still serviceable. Why spend money replacing them?

With regards to the buildings, they're just functional buildings. Another one of those things that enthusiasts pick at that your every day visitor won't even consider.

Towers Street station isn't been unfairly criticised, i think the public do see how shabby it is... Car-park end probably doesn't get noticed as much.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Asides from the TV's, what's all that wrong?
I think the main criticism is that they look as old as they are, they look like buildings of their time.

To me - that's not a bad thing, the park has grown over the past 30 years and it's nice to see designs, styles and attractions from the periods that make up the park's history. I don't want everything to look like it opened yesterday.

Theres rather alot wrong with them.

The car park station:
You are greeted with car park token stations - costs before you enter the park, isnt welcoming.
The old mural is gone, that was lovely.
The TVs are old looking CRTs.
The lack of consistent audio and visuals - sometimes the TVs arent even on.
The nasty concrete floor, looking like it belongs in a warehouse.
The external gazebo wood effect.

The Towers Plaza station:
The same floor - again.
The underneath awful sweatbox/cattlepen - nothing ends the day as nice.
Again the TVs, ancient CRTs, not always on - not showing anything worthwhile.
The poor look of the walls, faded, dirty and dark - no natural light at all.

They are just the most oppressive places to start and end your day.

Rick said:
There's minimal difference between the two. The public don't care.
Whilst the public may not cry out for change in the monorail stations because they are perfectly functional it is a subliminal thing. It's not just enthusiasts moaning. The monorail is the gateway to the park - it should at least feel slightly magical, or should provide a good impression. The buildings need not change, they just maybe need a spruce up and consistently working TVs.

The place where you start and end the day is where Towers gets to make a first and last impression. Currently these impressions aren't good enough.

My parents think the monorail stations look appalling.
My friends think they look like a part of a muti storey car park you'd walk through.

At least 6 people I know, non enthusiasts all have noticed the state of the monorail stations.

Sure they do the job, although is that any excuse to have something that looks, to be quite honest, run down? Honestly I find going back to the car parks at the end of the day depressing in the Towers Street station, after a fun day at a theme park the last thing you see, the last part of the Alton Towers experience is walking through an old building, that smells of damp, has TVs that are 10+ years old, with fuzzy sound and a bad picture, bare brick walls which remind you of a multi storey car park. Hardly the last thing you want your guests to see is it?

The TV's in the TS station cattle pen queue are the absolute worst I've ever seen. People probably watched the Coronation on those things.

You know it's bad when your school has better TV's than the monorail station. Seriously, my high school didn't even have the funds to buy a cabbage for science a few years back! XD