• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Monorail Stations

James said:
My friends think they look like a part of a muti storey car park you'd walk through.

At least it keeps the theming consistent then with some aspects of a certain roller coaster...

Anyway, the thing that bugs me the most about the stations is how desperately dull they are. There's nothing less interesting than a bare concrete wall and floor combination. People walk in there, as the first thing they do in their day, and can see no difference from the car park in theming- not the way to start a day.

Something such a lick of paint could do the world of good, or they could try and create a theme like the AT hotel- which is always very welcoming.

Surely if they got those huge stickers that cling to walls, like that fanta one that appeared on oblivion queue line the other year? Nice and shiny, fairly cheap i imagine, would wash easily and could even be updated each year!

I was thinking the other day some nice LED lighting running around the railings shining towards the floor - it could look so futuristic if they glowed/faded or chased down the side of them from one end to the other (sub terra lift style) but horizontal

Mr Crabbe tear down these stations!

(in the same manner as Mr Gorbachev Tear down this wall)

Rick said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
Asides from the TV's, what's all that wrong?
I think the main criticism is that they look as old as they are, they look like buildings of their time.

To me - that's not a bad thing, the park has grown over the past 30 years and it's nice to see designs, styles and attractions from the periods that make up the park's history. I don't want everything to look like it opened yesterday.

Just because they we're built in a certain era doesn't mean they need to sit unmodernised though - if that was the case many buildings, rides and attractions would still be on park untouched.

I think they key point here which people are making is that the Monorail is the 'portal' to the park both at the start and end of a magical day for most people. Now they have made a bit of an effort recently (more so with the actual trains) and theirs is now the odd flat screen TV etc in them now - but they still do not represent an organisation with is the UK's Number 1 theme park.

It's the first and last things guests see - it's the first guests experience as part of their day, so you would think they would want it to look good as it saids the standard. Think of a lot of different businesses (hotels usually refurb their reception areas more frequently than the rooms) Why? Because it's the first thing people see.

Externally I would say the car/park hotel end looks okay - just internally it's awful - and doesn't no represent the image that Alton Towers Resort try to aspire to!

My family always comments on how un-Theme Parky the monorail stations look.

They're downright depressing.

While it is the usual routine of "Merlin wont make any extra money from refitting the Monorail stations so whats to motivate them" it would be nice to think they care enough about the guests experience at the resort to justify some sort of upgrade to them.

There are a few fundamental problems in my eyes with the existing stations

The main one of these is the layout of the Hotel/Car Park station, when it opened you walked straight from the car park to the entrance, now since the creation of Extraordinary Golf all the guests are send on a long and pointless walk around the outside of the WHOLE building in search of the entrance. Personally i think it would be a lot better for all concerned if the entrance to the station was relocated to the area adjacent to the Golf. Aside from that all that station needs is a lick of paint, and some sort of mural back on the ground floor! oh and some new lighting and and the interior would be a lot more pleasant for guests and a much more fitting venue for the start of their adventure at the park.

The Entrance Plaza station isn't as bad, the exit ramp is bright and airy and leads you directly into the admissions area. however the cattle pen to get back up to the hotel is really run down and dark. more lighting lick of paint and some new TVs and music would change the look of this area completely!

I'm under no illusion that we are ever going to see a major upgrade of the monorail stations, sort of one of them burning down, but i small revamp would give it a new lease of life and create the right impression for the guests as they arrive at the park!

First and last impressions count.

First impressions showing adverts upon adverts on flat screens.

Last impressions showing the resort and reminding people of their day and memories... on outdated screens, not exactly showing the resort in its best light.

Neither is the best outcome really.

I had a great concept on another site a few years ago, that had a whole Plaza station and Plaza redevelopment.

In the concept there was one singular building from the monorail station to the entry gates. You would enter on the upper level that had several points to buy tickets, all like little airport check in desks. Then if you would face the backwall of sheet glass over looking towers street and the towers. Then enter down a grand staircase to the gates.
The other option would be at either side of the 'check-in' hall would be staircases leading down to a new annual pass office and guest services (both accessible via the park too) and the 'VIP' entry points for guests who have APs or pre-paid tickets.

Just something really smart and classy and modern - utilising the higher view of the towers and making it feel like you are leaving the normal world.

I can but dream

I had the idea of having the car park monorail as a Parisian terrace, with the entire removal of the current structure, and the queue working its way up a series of terraced balconies, each level with iron benches and traditional street lamps. The station platform could be styled as a Victorian-era Metro station

oldgitben said:
I had a great concept on another site a few years ago, that had a whole Plaza station and Plaza redevelopment.

In the concept there was one singular building from the monorail station to the entry gates. You would enter on the upper level that had several points to buy tickets, all like little airport check in desks. Then if you would face the backwall of sheet glass over looking towers street and the towers. Then enter down a grand staircase to the gates.
The other option would be at either side of the 'check-in' hall would be staircases leading down to a new annual pass office and guest services (both accessible via the park too) and the 'VIP' entry points for guests who have APs or pre-paid tickets.

Just something really smart and classy and modern - utilising the higher view of the towers and making it feel like you are leaving the normal world.

I can but dream

That sounds awesome! Imagine that linking to a shopping street through another exit that goes round to the hotels, completing the resort as such. Or you could even link it to a new hotel, perfectly situated for the main gates!

I doubt they will be touching either station within the near future as Merlin look to cut costs. If the old ctr tv's work then don't replace them, just clean them up. A few pictures of the park and posters would make the places look nicer.

As much as I don't like the long walk around the car park station to get to the enterance I believe it's needed to ensure the queue if long enough doesnt flow into the car park, they should however allow guests to cut the long walk by having direct access from the car park but I imagine it would need a member of staff to close off if it started getting busy

DaveW said:
While it is the usual routine of "Merlin wont make any extra money from refitting the Monorail stations so whats to motivate them" it would be nice to think they care enough about the guests experience at the resort to justify some sort of upgrade to them.
But there is only a certain amount of money available - new TVs or new coaster? I know which I'm hoping for.

Rick said:
DaveW said:
But there is only a certain amount of money available - new TVs or new coaster? I know which I'm hoping for.

To be honest, they could get better TV's for free... out of the skip.

The TV's aren't the main problem though, it's just the general appearance of the station that's the problem, and it need desperate attention.

Nick said:
Rick said:
DaveW said:

The TV's aren't the main problem though, it's just the general appearance of the station that's the problem, and it need desperate attention.

Just upgrading the TVs would be a big step forward though... the ghosting on some of the old CRT's is so terrible that you can barely see what's playing on them anymore. :-\

Nick said:
Rick said:
DaveW said:

Desperate in the view of people who post on AT forums or the other 99.9% of people who visit the park?

Rick said:
Desperate in the view of people who post on AT forums or the other 99.9% of people who visit the park?
I'll say it again to you... It might not be the public's first thought on a way to improve the park, but they will notice that they're standing in a grubby and miserable looking queue at the end of the day.

The stations are the gateway to and from the park. I doubt that 99.9% of people don't notice the poor state of them. Yes they are functional and yes they do their job but they should be oozing with magic in order to give a good first impression and leave a good final impression.

mrbrightside said:
Rick said:
I'll say it again to you... It might not be the public's first thought on a way to improve the park, but they will notice that they're standing in a grubby and miserable looking queue at the end of the day.

The stations are the gateway to and from the park. I doubt that 99.9% of people don't notice the poor state of them. Yes they are functional and yes they do their job but they should be oozing with magic in order to give a good first impression and leave a good final impression.
I think you overplay things like that in the minds of the average guest. Of course, neither of us have any metric say whether they do or not.

However, I can't help but think that on the way into the park they can't wait to get out of there and onto a roller coaster. And on the way out... whatever, they're tired, they're eating their pic n' mix and wondering how they're going to pay their credit card bill at the end of the month given all the tat they've just bought in Towers Trading.

Man "Christ, I wonder when that wall was last painted?!"
Woman "It must be five years ago"
Man "Yeah totally. Screw it, we're never coming here again. Let's go to Drayton instead"

I don't think so.

Rick said:
I think you overplay things like that in the minds of the average guest. Of course, neither of us have any metric say whether they do or not.

However, I can't help but think that on the way into the park they can't wait to get out of there and onto a roller coaster. And on the way out... whatever, they're tired, they're eating their pic n' mix and wondering how they're going to pay their credit card bill at the end of the month given all the tat they've just bought in Towers Trading.

Man "Christ, I wonder when that wall was last painted?!"
Woman "It must be five years ago"
Man "Yeah totally. Screw it, we're never coming here again. Let's go to Drayton instead"

I don't think so.
I've never implied that a conversation like that in your post has ever taken place. In fact, I would never assume that someone would have a discussion like that because quite simply, people don't.

However, I find it hard to believe that people point blank don't notice or don't care at all - particularly subliminally. The least they could do is give them a lick of paint to stop the morning and evening queue being so drab.

Everyone knows Draytons a really drab place - however they've been painting up some areas, adding grass etc, and it's made such a difference.

It obviously makes a difference, a clean presentable fresh place, and something which hasn't been as best maintained..

The stations could be made to have more escapism and drum up suspense better, but the point for me is they aren't having a negative effect on the public really. Yes, they'd notice improvements - but the status quo isn't damaging.