• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I had my last ride for the time being on Friday evening. I didn’t cry but was honestly a bit emotional. Nemesis has been a massive part of both my childhood and adult life. Ridden her every single year since I was 12 years old (im 37 now) and completed hundreds of laps. I honestly agree with others that she’s riding better than ever this year. Won’t be the same next year but can’t wait to see her all gleaming and ready to go for her 30th. ❤️

The disrespect you lot give to smiler and wicker🤣. I agree that Nemesis is definitely the most iconic ride but wouldn't you say the other 2 are just important for what they've brought to the park. Wicker was such a big investment

Sadly With moving house this month ££ has been tight and as much as i really wanted to be there today, I can’t be.
Nemesis was my 1st big coaster and opened my eyes 👀 into thrill rides when i was around 12/13.

She will be missed and I hope Nemesis 2.0 will ride as epically as nemesis 1.0

The disrespect you lot give to smiler and wicker🤣. I agree that Nemesis is definitely the most iconic ride but wouldn't you say the other 2 are just important for what they've brought to the park. Wicker was such a big investment
Don't get confused by the term "iconic" It's earned over time. Corkscrew was probably at one point the most "Iconic" rollercoaster in England despite being an off the shelf job.

Why must you compare and one up at every possible moment? All we can be sure of now is that Nemesis, after 28 years of operation, is closing tonight to receive a full track replacement over the next year. Thankfully, I doubt The Smiler will make it to even half of that milestone before it rips itself apart - and there's certainly no prospect of a similar treatment there!

Back to topic please :)

Thing I found out in coaster circles that anything that isn't a B&M or Mack ride is always treated with disdain though TBF, it isn't really a surprise given the reputation of this companies such as Vekoma and their SLC's, Arrow Looping coasters or Pinfari for just...being Pinfari. We can be a right snobby bunch at times :p

Thing I found out in coaster circles that anything that isn't a B&M or Mack ride is always treated with disdain though TBF, it isn't really a surprise given the reputation of this companies such as Vekoma and their SLC's, Arrow Looping coasters or Pinfari for just...being Pinfari. We can be a right snobby bunch at times :p
Nemesis is iconic because it's the ride that not only made JW's career but also made Towers the park it is today. It would be very different without both of them.

Thankfully, I doubt The Smiler will make it to even half of that milestone before it rips itself apart - and there's certainly no prospect of a similar treatment there!
Out of pure interest, what makes you reject the idea of a Smiler retrack with such certainty? Smiler is a very popular ride, it’s unique, you arguably couldn’t fit a more ambitious ride into the space, and it would surely be no more complicated to deconstruct and reconstruct than Nemesis, no? I know people talk about Smiler’s supports, but Nemesis’ supports are no picnic themselves; I believe that it’s already had supports replaced during its lifetime due to subsidence, and that pit is bound to be complicated to deconstruct and reconstruct supports within.
The Smiler will never be seen as iconic. Notorious is probably a better word.
I don’t personally agree. I think it does have strong appeal with the public and could be seen as “iconic”. 9 years on from opening, 7 years on from the accident, and 4 years on from its successor as the park’s newest coaster opening, it does still seem to have considerable popularity and pull among the wider park visiting populace. It isn’t particularly new anymore, yet I’d argue that it is still among the park’s biggest draws for the wider park-visiting populace.

Out of pure interest, what makes you reject the idea of a Smiler retrack with such certainty? Smiler is a very popular ride, it’s unique, you arguably couldn’t fit a more ambitious ride into the space, and it would surely be no more complicated to deconstruct and reconstruct than Nemesis, no? I know people talk about Smiler’s supports, but Nemesis’ supports are no picnic themselves; I believe that it’s already had supports replaced during its lifetime due to subsidence, and that pit is bound to be complicated to deconstruct and reconstruct supports within.

I don’t personally agree. I think it does have strong appeal with the public and could be seen as “iconic”. 9 years on from opening, 7 years on from the accident, and 4 years on from its successor as the park’s newest coaster opening, it does still seem to have considerable popularity and pull among the wider park visiting populace. It isn’t particularly new anymore, yet I’d argue that it is still among the park’s biggest draws for the wider park-visiting populace.
Yeah I'm not doubting it's popularity or anything. I quite like it and a lot of people love it.

But when using the word 'iconic' it just doesn't work IMO. Perhaps because of its troubled history.

Can a park have more than one iconic ride? Surely there can only be one? I dunno 🤷‍♂️

Iconic is perfect for Nemesis. Or The Big One for example, which is ironically more iconic than a ride that is literally called Icon.

Back to Nemesis, I'm intrigued to see what the Phalanx have to say after the fireworks tonight and what's happening in Forbidden Valley from about 7pm is it? If the announcement is that it's re-opening then😶😶😶😶
It'll be straight after the fireworks end I believe, on the lawns. I'm guessing it'll be about Sub Terra coming back, along the lines of "Nemesis has escaped so we need to do some experiments at the Phalanx lab".

Nah it'll definitely be announcing that it'll be re-opening in 2024

Friends Tv GIF

It'll be straight after the fireworks end I believe, on the lawns. I'm guessing it'll be about Sub Terra coming back, along the lines of "Nemesis has escaped so we need to do some experiments at the Phalanx lab".
This would be clever, but I won't get my hopes up.

What he meant was that those who experienced Nemesis during their childhood can't respect other rides the same as nemmy was their baby.

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.