• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If there's a requirement to do some work during the season, you would have thought that it would make more sense to have it closed at the beginning rather than the end, given the profile of visitation. Scarefest and Fireworks are so crucial, after all.

I’m starting to wonder if they’ll just close off Forbidden Valley for the 2023 season. It sounds crazy to do that (and possibly lose Galactica for the season which is still popular with the general public) but it could make sense to do that. They’d give themselves plenty of room and space to work in for the Nemesis retracking and possibly for also starting work on SW9 if it’s going to be over there. Is there any possibility that Towers could retheme Forbidden Valley in some way at all for when Nemesis (and possibly SW9) opens?

Is there any possibility that Towers could retheme Forbidden Valley in some way at all for when Nemesis (and possibly SW9) opens?

I doubt it, doesn’t it say something about minor cosmetic repairs to the existing station theming in the planning document?

I doubt it, doesn’t it say something about minor cosmetic repairs to the existing station theming in the planning document?

They will not re-theme Nemesis, it would be both impractical and unpopular. A re-theme of the area might make more sense - I never thought there was much synergy between Nemesis and Air/Galactica, they're just two coasters in kind of the same place. I doubt it will be a priority though, I don't think Merlin care that much about themed areas anymore.

No chance of a retheme. Would be nice to see the existing theming restored around Nemesis, however.

Starting the refurb from November seems more logical than closing the ride next week. I imagine they could get the majority of disruptive works complete over closed season. I don't see it being impossible to get it back open the following summer. Maybe push it to 2024 to make a big deal out of it.

I'm assuming it will take months, likely a lot more time than they would typically have during a closed season. I think we can expect disruption, and for the coaster to be unavailable for a good long while :(

I don't assume this. What takes a lot of time on coaster building is the groundworks, what goes on top is like a big Meccano set. I think there's a couple of footers that need work, but apart from that it's relatively simple stuff and I see no reason that this would have to impact main season.

With the necessity of moving a lot of big heavy parts around this will surely be a closed season job or the disruption on Forbidden Valley, and the monorail, would be huge.
It will take quite some time to do. While there is only minimal groundwork to be done, removing the existing track and supports will take some time, likewise installing all the new track.
As for Forbidden Valley closing while it is being done, they didn't close it when Nemesis was originally being built so there's probably no need to close it for the re-tracking.

They did close the nemesis area during building, but only for a few hours a day...odd mornings and early afternoons in termtime.
I loitered a lot in the area at the time!
For a lot of years, the meeting point for my group of young people was the latest building site!
There is still a sad photo of me sitting by the air construction viewing window, I was there most of the day.

They did close the nemesis area during building, but only for a few hours a day...odd mornings and early afternoons in termtime.
I loitered a lot in the area at the time!
For a lot of years, the meeting point for my group of young people was the latest building site!
There is still a sad photo of me sitting by the air construction viewing window, I was there most of the day.

Wouldn't be surprised if this time around they build a special viewing platform for vloggers and nerds!

You can take these rides down pretty quickly. In many cases rides that have been sold/relocated have been removed in the Autumn and running in their new locations by May the following year.

If there's a requirement to do some work during the season, you would have thought that it would make more sense to have it closed at the beginning rather than the end, given the profile of visitation. Scarefest and Fireworks are so crucial, after all.
I agree, the only thing I could see cauing early closure would be an expensive failure of some sort occurring late Summer/early Autumn (but then in fairness that could potentially take any ride out for the remainder of the season, as was the case with The Smiler last October).

I am still optimistic most of it can be done in the closed season, maybe not all but most. Like I said before, it took 6 weeks for the steel to be put into place for air.

Six weeks.

Now I am not saying the same will be true here, and obviously they will need to remove the old track. But I personally think estimations of how long the actual construction work will take is getting overstated. Time will tell I guess and I could be wrong.

The fact the foundations and footers are already in place and only require minor work takes a HUGE chunk off the construction time.

I think there is more chance of the ride running late into the new season because it hasn't been signed off and fully tested in time. Something that will take some time.

They have over 4 months to do it. There's little ground work, no station, maintenance area, lift hill or brake run to build. There's absolutely no reason to have it closed for a season. It can't be compared to new coaster builds.

If it did run over, I doubt I'd visit until it was open. If for some ridiculous reason they made the decision to close it for a season, it would be a massive deterrent to visiting for me.

It will take quite some time to do. While there is only minimal groundwork to be done, removing the existing track and supports will take some time, likewise installing all the new track.

Why would it? It is unbolted, craned away, a replacement piece is craned in and bolted in place. Realistically they can do multiple track sections in a day. How many pieces are there, outside of the station and lift hill which I believe are remaining in place?

This becomes a different matter if there's a lot of work on footers to do, but I think that work is quite minimal.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.