Nemesis Sub-Terra: "Ongoing Maintenance"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leah, 21st Sep 2015.

1. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Hmmm, ive been going every year since 93, and to me its still a decent theme park. Ok, so its worn in places and has its problems, but its still set in the most amazing surroundings, it still has a certain magic around it, the gothic remains of alton towers is still amazing every time I walk in and see it infront of me, and the memories I have of the place every year since going for the first time, be it in the summer walking around the gardens, the fun at scarefest, the ooh's and arrr's at fireworks, to me, it still is a decent park. Whether or not its worth the money to visit, well, naturally thats argueable, but your day there is what you make it to be and the people your with.

Is a decent park , umm, say Disney? Would I want it like Disney? No. Alton has its own magic, its own rustic charm and for me, its all about the memories that are made there.

2. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

Bloody well said sir.

Tannwick and GaryH like this.
  3. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

Tbh, id call DLP and flamingo land pathetic excuses for theme parks. At the very least Alton is decent

4. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Okay, DLP isn't the best Disney park but it is still a Disney park and they remain the benchmark for pretty much all other theme parks! Calling it a pathetic excuse for a theme park (which it clearly isn't even if you're not its biggest fan) isn't a statement that lends itself to one considering your postings valid. Heck, Towers can only dream to have theming on the level of DLP!

Anyway this doesn't have much to do with Sub-Terra so back on topic please!

:)

5. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    I dont know why they shouted from the start. A quiet start. With friendly soldiers would of made the shouting in the second half stronger

6. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

yeah, sorry, just couldn't think of any examples of bad theme parks and it the first that came into my head. Last time i went was traumatic to say the least, so i don't have a great (or even decent) interpretation of the park.

though i think towers is in fact better, they just have less of a budget.

sorry, off topic.

7. PeteB

PeteB TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Tbh, I think my main gripe is that Towers are limping along, getting by, based off the reputation it made 2 decades ago. Ok so it's probably the best we have in the UK right now but it was once considered like one of the top 5 in Europe? I don't think it would make the top 20 these days.

Anyways, wasn't Sub Terra just a copy of Alien Encounter at Disney? That ride is still going strong, although tamed down and re-themed to Stitch's Great Escape, but still a great ride. Sub Terra doesn't deserve to be SBNO'd.

JB1985, Dar, James and 1 other person like this.
  8. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

Am I the only person that thinks (whilst it isn't worth all the work and money put into it) it's actually a decent ride and I actually enjoy it?

Olii, micksalt, PeteB and 2 others like this.
  9. UserDeleted

UserDeleted Guest

I love it!

Leah likes this.
  10. Joseph

Joseph TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Again, sorry for going off topic but I don't it was reasonable that any of you mocked me for what I said. I wasn't thinking about what I was saying. I apologize.
    To go back on topic I think Sub-Terra is actually quite a fun ride and with the actors at the end can prove to be quite a scary experience.

11. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    You're not alone, unpopular opinion but it was in my top 5!

Leah likes this.
  12. Martin

Martin TowersStreet Member

It was only £4m I think, plus whatever the refurb cost, which couldn't have been much. For something that cost about 1/4 of The Smiler I think it was a decent addition. I really enjoyed it at least. The original version wasn't great but post-refurb I liked it a lot.

Stevie, phildenholm and UserDeleted like this.
  13. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

I mean on the restraints being changed and the amount of staff it requires. I like it though. Good ride to do if you have 5 minutes

14. JB1985

JB1985 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    With respect...and I mean this....there are some long standing enthusiast's on here who remember the park as it was. The feeling you got when you first saw nemesis in 1994 was amazing, same for oblivion...to even compare sub terra and the park now to this is a joke. Every member of the forum is a valid member who contributes to a great community that I have been away from for a while but please ....drop the attitude given in some of your posts.

15. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

I understand completely. I wasn't there in 1994, I never saw the haunted house or black hole, and I know that some members will disagree with some of my views as they saw the park years ago and I didn't and I genuinely wish I could of seen it then (clearly, being alive would help).

I do ,however, don't understand just one thing
    Which posts do you mean. I may have said some controversial things, but I don't think I have "given attitude" in my posts. Please tell me which posts.

JB1985 likes this.
  16. JB1985

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    Just saying.....
    Feel free to pm me. Probably caught me in a grump

17. Joseph

Joseph TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Can we quit the personal jibes here, I'm not trying to be a mod. But it's not really adding to the disscussion.

Leah likes this.
  18. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

I can justify that though. I accept that other members have their opinions, but I thought this was a little harsh on towers. It isn't a pathetic excuse for a theme park and I'd say that (even as a shadow of its former self) it's one of (if not the) best park in the UK, and the best I've been to in the world (haven't been to that many parks outside the UK)

19. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    Thanks @Joseph. Can we try and be a bit more friendly towards other members please? We may have different opinions and views, but it would be a lot nicer if we could have a discussion without having a go at each other!

Thanks. :)

20. JB1985

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    Depends on your views , experiences and memories. I personally think the post was valid and sums up a lot of 'old timers ' feelings. Not meaning to have a go so sorry if it seems like that but hey ho. Your post annoyed me.as I said feel free to pm me as here isn't the place really.