• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Not sure there even needs to be a finale after you get off the drop towers tbh. There's no finale on Hex after you get off the swing. You just walk out of the attraction.

They just need to tweak the story and have the grand finale on the ride bit itself.
The grand finale of v1 was the lift attack, v2 after they added the "maze" section got far better feedback.

Sub Terra in its final form was a popular and pretty well liked filler attraction (which is something the park needs more of atm) the problem was due to bad design it needed staffing like a headline attraction.

I dream of it being revamped with a very entertaining Alton Towers /Forbidden Valley theme, rather than military, though still with the premise of finding the Nemesis eggs inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why?

The point is you are trying to escape and you manage to escape.

More physical theming would be nice, but a staged monster scare will just look a bit naff.

Because it makes no sense.

You’re escaping an underground bunker and when you manage to you then enter a narrow maze with a load of zombie like people behind steel cages?

I liked the ride in its previous guise but if it is to reopen I assume that the intention is to improve on it and I think that’s one way that they could do

Didn’t notice any active work yesterday, but all the rotten wood is gone and there is just empty space where the decking used to be. There might have been workers, but I was pushing a wheelchair, so didn’t really get the chance to stop and look like I might’ve done if it was just me

Didn’t notice any active work yesterday, but all the rotten wood is gone and there is just empty space where the decking used to be. There might have been workers, but I was pushing a wheelchair, so didn’t really get the chance to stop and look like I might’ve done if it was just me
They were looking for the can of WD40 as it had rolled underneath the queue line flooring.

I’m wondering whether we will see any banners appear between now and the end of the season? Maybe for fireworks weekend they could get some banners around Sub-Terra and actors in the area/around Nemesis teasing plans for the future.

I’m wondering whether we will see any banners appear between now and the end of the season? Maybe for fireworks weekend they could get some banners around Sub-Terra and actors in the area/around Nemesis teasing plans for the future.

The only thing which makes me remain slightly sceptical as to whether this is returning as an attraction in any format is the fact that we’re yet to see anything to this effect.

You’d think if it was returning in any guise we’d see teaser marketing as we have with Duel and Nemesis.

The only thing which makes me remain slightly sceptical as to whether this is returning as an attraction in any format is the fact that we’re yet to see anything to this effect.

You’d think if it was returning in any guise we’d see teaser marketing as we have with Duel and Nemesis.
That's a good point actually, only real teaser we've seen is the new Nemesis staff uniform.

John Burton did tweet recently that projects (note the plural) are coming along and that he’s spending this weekend on park. Does he do projects for other parks? I know he’ll be on about Duel but not sure if Sub Terra falls into that category

John Burton did tweet recently that projects (note the plural) are coming along and that he’s spending this weekend on park. Does he do projects for other parks? I know he’ll be on about Duel but not sure if Sub Terra falls into that category
He’s the creative lead for all Resort Theme Parks within Merlin (so Alton, Thorpe, Chessington, Gardaland, Heide Park, and Warwick Castle), so he will be in charge of other parks’ projects too.

Based on how that post was worded, however (he mentions “on-site”), I’d take a stab at him talking solely about Alton Towers:

With that in mind, I’d argue that he could certainly have been talking about Sub-Terra being one of his “projects”…

Another John Burton tweet I would raise is this one from August:

Now given that it was posted around the sort of time that Duel’s closure was announced, people (myself included) naturally assumed that he was talking about Duel.

However, I have an alternative theory in hindsight… given that he puts an eye emoji at the end of his tweet, could he possibly have been talking about Sub-Terra rather than Duel as everyone assumed? Sub-Terra’s logo was a giant eye, and the text in John’s tweet would certainly make sense if the tweet was teasing a Sub-Terra reopening rather than the Duel revamp.

The tweet could feasibly have been teasing either project, in fairness, but I thought that John’s use of the eye emoji could have been a little hint towards Sub-Terra, in hindsight…

Last edited:
Given they’ve already seemingly done a fair bit of construction on the exterior, I’d wager that they’re likely to be fairly sure about what’s happening with the building in 2023.

As for whether Project 42 saw anything removed from it; I don’t think it did. From what I’ve heard, the drop towers are very much still in place, as are most elements of the previous experience, so I think reopening it would be a relatively low cost project.