• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New "Alert Notifications" feature

Other non-essential thing, when I click the little pop-up notification the notification stays in my user...box..card...thing. Is that expected behaviour?

:)

Yeah, the "toaster" notifications (i.e. the single grey boxes that fade in and out after 10 seconds in the top right of your browser) don't mark the notifications as read unfortunately, because you might not have actually seen them.

It will mark everything read when you click the
alerts.png
icon.

Also as an aside too, I've had a couple of people ask me if we can have Facebook style notification count in the page title (so it shows in your browser).

The simple answer is no as it wouldn't be very helpful with our system. The longer explanation is that in order to reduce demand on our server, the notification system stops checking for notifications when you stop looking at the page. If you flick into another tab, or another application, or even "lose focus" of the window, then the notification system stops checking.

This is to stop people accidentally leaving a window open for TS and having it refresh and poll the server for data every 60 seconds for potentially hours... days... weeks on end :p

So having page title numbers wouldn't be terribly helpful as it would only update when you look at the page anyway :p

Please don't kill the system in its trial and thus I have to get rid of it! :p

Might I just add, I suggested this about 3 years ago on TTF and got LAUGHED AT by the team?!

I want credit for crying out loud!!

Joel said:
Please don't kill the system in its trial and thus I have to get rid of it! :p
I may 'like' a lot of things, but I'm not going to break the system. :p

I'll leave that to you, Joel. ;)

Bear said:
Might I just add, I suggested this about 3 years ago on TTF and got LAUGHED AT by the team?!

I want credit for crying out loud!!

I spent 2 hours explaining to you on Facebook that such a system wasn't available 3 years ago, and is only available now at cost rather than a free add-on! I saved advertising pennies for this! :( lol

I'd tell you to go away impolitely but unfortunately this isn't the Tavern ;)

I am loving this so far Joel, its great to have notifications at the top when I log on so I don't have to trawl through everything to find out whats been going on.

I keep getting the pop-up notifications every time I open TS, and even though I have viewed what I've been notified about, they pop up again, quite often with about 3 of each notification. What is going on?? It's getting rather annoying.

Its a great idea! Unfortunately I havent had any notifications *HINT* yet though, but like I said, its going to be a million times easier to keep up with all posts!
(Thanks for thanking lol, it works really well!)
As well at the floating notification at the top, maybe there could be a sound? It would really help, especially for those who browse other tabs while still on tst!

The most useful thing is knowing when people've thanked your posts. You can follow topics you've replied in or created but you could never track that before. :)

Maya said:
Its a great idea! Unfortunately I havent had any notifications *HINT* yet though, but like I said, its going to be a million times easier to keep up with all posts!
(Thanks for thanking lol, it works really well!)
As well at the floating notification at the top, maybe there could be a sound? It would really help, especially for those who browse other tabs while still on tst!

It wouldn't work because the notifications bar only checks for new notifications when you're actually focused on the tab. It doesn't check in the background and so sound would be pointless.

Would it be possible to add an option for alerts to new replies in a topic you started?

DiogoJ42 said:
Would it be possible to add an option for alerts to new replies in a topic you started?

I believe Joel explains how to do this here. Not really sure though as I've not tried it myself.

Also - when you reply to posts, or start a new topic, if you click the "Attachments and other options" link at the bottom of the compose window, you'll see a new option for adding alerts for that topic, like so:

0edc0f1bd94b48839845238.png

Ticking this option will send you notifications if someone replies to your post or thread.

You can also select what type of notification you receive by clicking the "Notify" or "(Un)notify" button on a topic - this will show the options of having no notifications, email only, alert only, or email and alert.