• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New "Alert Notifications" feature

Joel

TS Technical Admin
Favourite Ride
Closed season on TST
Hello all,

On our strive to continually improve your TowersStreet experience, we're launching the beta of alert notifications for the forum :D

You should notice a new exclamation mark next to your username like this:

RepcL.png

This little exclamation is your new alerts information, and will light up with a number next to it whenever you have any new 'notifications'.

Note: This will only work on the browser version of the forum (and not the mobile template, or Tapatalk etc), and it will only work currently whilst you are browsing the forum areas of the site. We will eventually expand the feature on your profile card across the site should our tests be successful.

When you click the notification, you should see a new popup white box like so:

TPlK0.png

This will show any activity that can be notified to you, including:

• New personal messages
  • When someone has quoted your post in a reply
  • New topic notifications (if selected, opt-in explained in a moment)
  • New reply notifications (if selected, opt-in explained in a moment)
  • General messages from the team

The list may grow depending on the test to see how badly it affects our server load ;)

So as you can see I have a personal message notification and a topic reply and quote notification in the window. Clicking on these will obviously take you to the relevant post/message.

Now - you can see all of the alerts and manage them from the "Alerts" section in your profile, found by clicking "See More Alerts" and "Manage Alerts" in the popup window.

From here you can choose what to be alerted on and what not to be alerted on.

Also - when you reply to posts, or start a new topic, if you click the "Attachments and other options" link at the bottom of the compose window, you'll see a new option for adding alerts for that topic, like so:

0edc0f1bd94b48839845238.png

Ticking this option will send you notifications if someone replies to your post or thread.

You can also select what type of notification you receive by clicking the "Notify" or "(Un)notify" button on a topic - this will show the options of having no notifications, email only, alert only, or email and alert.

Have a play and hopefully you'll get the gist of everything you need to use this feature to its best :D

We hope you enjoy this new feature, and please help us to test it out by utilising it on the forum too.

As ever we appreciate your feedback and questions about this new feature also, please post here and we'll do our best to help out.

Thanks all! :D

Wow we can now lock topics, no hold on that just must be in your options as I don't get that in mine.

Some quick notes too:

• Notifications automatically refresh every 60 seconds - This is just set so we can keep the server load under control again
  • You'll only get notifications when your active on the forum - i.e. when your browser is focused and you're looking at the page - this is to save load on the forum if you leave TS open in the background :p
  • Opening the notification window marks them read - So if you need to remove the number, open the notification window. Also your notifications are stored when you re-open the window, so don't worry about missing any on your first peek.
  • You'll also receive "toast" style popup notifications too - These will disappear after 10 seconds or when you click them. We might not keep these, it depends on the feedback for them I guess.

BigT said:
Wow we can now lock topics, no hold on that just must be in your options as I don't get that in mine.

Errr yeahhh... I probably should have just screenshot my test account settings rather than my own profile settings.

Definitely no new options like that for you guys I'm afraid ;)

Awesome! I've seen this on other forums and I hoped it would appear on TST one day.

Ta Joel! ;)

BigT said:

Those are just the moderating tools used by the team. :p

A great feature and an interesting one too. Great work team! :)

Joel said:
BigT said:

Errr yeahhh... I probably should have just screenshot my test account settings rather than my own profile settings.

Definitely no new options like that for you guys I'm afraid ;)

That might be for the best or every thread would be locked.

Nice idea :)

Any chance we could get a redesign of the user box sometime soon to better differentiate the notifications/unread-count and the profile/logout links? :)

Excellent, so this means we can effectively bookmark a topic by adding it as a notification. This'll be useful for alerting me of posts on my RCT topic.

Great work as always Joel. Glad I accidentally helped out as well ;)

Is there a way to 'subscribe' to a topic without having to reply to it or create it? :)

Sorry, im blind - as you were...... :)

Mike said:
Is there a way to 'subscribe' to a topic without having to reply to it or create it? :)

Yes - click the Notify button at the top or bottom of a topic, next to the reply button. Allows you to edit our change notifications for that topic.

All should be fixed!

There was a bug with Firefox that somehow excluded the "alert" CSS from it. Fixed that.

Also added thanks to the notification system... should hopefully please some people! It was being a bit buggy though, so I'm still trying to refine it as its built in-house rather than a usual SMF based modification :p

As above, I get the following sporadically when browsing:
642e107cbe464cc0a084b5d.png

Which has this effect on the Menu bar..
3a4ecb06443b4f1897dda70.png

EDIT: Just seen latest update. Ignore.

Should be all fixed, debugging mode is off and the correct stylesheet is being loaded in all browsers now.

Try refreshing the page a few times to ensure the latest one is being loaded! :D

Just a little non-essential thing I noticed but there's something about the refresh image that looks odd. I think it's because it uses some white pixels that clash with the purple background colour but it appears and disappears so quickly I can't really see.