• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New Drivers

And if that incident causes a fatality?
We are only talking about a year, not a decade.

The poor american kids can't drink in bars until 21, that is a bigger issue for the poor youth of the planet.

0% alcohol doesn't mean that anyone over that has swigged a pint and got into a car.

The reason 0% alcohol limits are not in place is because they are unenforceable. Almost all of us wouldn't have driving licences if they were. I bet many of you with licences will get into a car today with at least a trace of alcohol in your breath, blood, or urine.

It's a myth that the drink drive limit is in place so you can have a few up to a limit before driving. Alcohol can stay in your bloodstream for a good 48-72 hours, long after it's intoxication effects have worn off. Even teetotalers can consume traces in a number of foods and drinks.

If anyone gets in a car today after only having a couple of light ales, or a glass of gin, or swig of wine last night, you will be over 0% today.

I think teaching human factors in driving and adding it to the theory test would add knowledge of what factors act on you that change how you drive.

This is why the legislation is coming forward, young male drivers are four times more likely to die or be seriously injured when driving.
Inescapable fact, and a very good reason for the policy...that is being called for by the parents of the dead youngsters...not just legislators.

Death statistics make plain reading.
This will save lives without question.

Come on Rob you and I both know that everything in life carries a risk. It’s part of life. We can try and minimise the risks but it gets to the point of nanny state taking away peoples freedoms. It’s a bit like a road with 100 houses on it and 2 residents complain about the speed limit being too quick, so the council sticks in humps abd lowers the limit to 20.

Instead of addressing the real cause of the problem eg why are people going too fast, why can’t people handle their vehicles, we just penalise everyone else who is able to be sensible. I had friends in the car all the time from the day I passed my test. Did I crash or cause a fatality - no.

Just stick a 60mph limiter on the cars of young people if we are that worried or limit their purchase to a maximum 1 litre engine (pretty much the way these days with insurance costs anyway)

0% alcohol doesn't mean that anyone over that has swigged a pint and got into a car.

The reason 0% alcohol limits are not in place is because they are unenforceable. Almost all of us wouldn't have driving licences if they were. I bet many of you with licences will get into a car today with at least a trace of alcohol in your breath, blood, or urine.

It's a myth that the drink drive limit is in place so you can have a few up to a limit before driving. Alcohol can stay in your bloodstream for a good 48-72 hours, long after it's intoxication effects have worn off. Even teetotalers can consume traces in a number of foods and drinks.

If anyone gets in a car today after only having a couple of light ales, or a glass of gin, or swig of wine last night, you will be over 0% today.

I disagree. When I was in Finland where there is a very strict 0% policy and you are even breathalysed before you hire a vehicle, if I knew I was driving the next day I would either not drink or just have one the day before. I think 0% is achievable and just beds a change in mindset.

I disagree. When I was in Finland where there is a very strict 0% policy and you are even breathalysed before you hire a vehicle, if I knew I was driving the next day I would either not drink or just have one the day before. I think 0% is achievable and just beds a change in mindset.
One the day before will still be in your blood stream the next day. It will be negligible but will be above 0. If you drink, I can guarantee you that you have driven with a trace of alcohol in your bloodstream at some point. Maybe even this year, this month, this week, or even today.