• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New Fencing at Alton Towers

josht

TS Member
Favourite Ride
bandit (movie park)
jy8e6ery.jpg

Some more stupid fences

The H&S team at Towers certainly know how to pointlessly destroy a beautiful and historically significant setting don't they.

Oh no.

That's one of my favourite little features of the park! That really does look horrid.

Dave said:
The H&S team at Towers certainly know how to pointlessly destroy a beautiful and historically significant setting don't they.

They will fence off the rides soon!

"Sorry sir, you can't actually ride it, it's just for show"

Seeing as they've done that, it wouldn't surprise me if they actually surround Rita's scaffolding with fencing.

Wait till you see what they have plasted over the ruins, need to get some photos then i am seriously considering complaining to English Heritage.

Dave said:
Wait till you see what they have plasted over the ruins, need to get some photos then i am seriously considering complaining to English Heritage.

That does not sound good......

TheMan said:
Oh no.

That's one of my favourite little features of the park! That really does look horrid.

Dave said:

They will fence off the rides soon!

"Sorry sir, you can't actually ride it, it's just for show"

I wouldn't be surprised if they do. ::)

That truely is an abomination, and it brings a tear to my eye.
Dave, I would back a complaint to EH. In fact, I wonder if a group letter / petition might do any good, as it worked with "Fantagate".

DiogoJ42 said:
That truely is an abomination, and it brings a tear to my eye.
Dave, I would back a complaint to EH. In fact, I wonder if a group letter / petition might do any good, as it worked with "Fantagate".

I would also be in support of any of this.

Regarding the petition, we did one when the majority of us where on TT because it was such a big community. Now, as we're new, we don't have such a large community so it might not be as effective. It's always worth a shot though if enough people agree to it.

And as for that fence, it looks horrible and is completely pointless. It's ruined what was a lovely part of the Towers and I hope it's removed as there's nothing wrong with the walkway as it is. If they felt that there was an issue with it, then I'm sure that they could've found a way to deal with it without restricting people from walking up it or making it so visually unappealing.

Not like a petition against this would have to be restricted to TowersStreet members alone. I'm sure people on TowersTimes and TowersNerd would not be impressed with these new fences too.

I think maybe some form of group letter with a petition would be a good idea for this.

Why can't people be trusted any more? H&S is so arse backwards in this country and Alton Towers is a prime example how individuals with these job roles can be let loose and do whatever the hell they like and get away with it.

The Towers are being made out to look ugly. I'd certainly be tempted to write a complaint about all of these things destroying the beauty of the place.

Tom.B said:
Well there could always be advertisements on social media.

I've shared the image (with credit to josht) on FB. We'll see if people have any thoughts on the situation.

Edit - Dan has also shared the image so it should get some decent feedback tonight.

I'd be all for organising a letter and/or a petition to English Heritage. I'd even be willing to try and gauge responses from non-enthusiasts!

Wow, this is so so sad :(

This looks a lot more dangerous as people climbing over the fences could easily slip and hit their heads on the ledges.

It also reduces the walk way, which could get crowded at the best of time.

Does this prevent people from walking next to the lake?

Its shocking they have plenty of money to waste on things like this, but actually maintaining a ride, and increasing the number of rides is overlooked.

Slowly and steadily, Merlin are ruining the only saving grace of the park, and that is the magical setting it is in, but with the constant felling of trees (which I am sure could of been prevented, had moeny being spent on protecting the grounds), and ridiculous railings, it just makes it lose that saving charm.

After reading some of the comments on Facebook about peoples weekend at Towers, I am glad I am not going to be stopping over any time soon, and the only reason I will continue to come to Towers is to see all the fantastic people.

The sad thing is, there is no competition in the UK, there is no alternative if you want to experience want Alton Towers has. You can visit the smaller parks such as Drayton, Lightwater Valley, Oakwood and Blackpool but they are not the same.

I don't think there is any other UK park which could create a similar community that Towers does, but if they keep going down this road, I just don't see where the new members are going to come from, as the older members will move on, and younger members will not be interested.

Ian

The steps at the far end were getting very worn and there's obviously the unprotected edge, but surely a better solution would be to put the railing at the top and replace the worn stone?

This just looks stupid -closing off such a visible pathway rather than bringing it up to standard is a complete cop-out.

This is quite depressing to see that this has happened. :( A nice walk down that route has now turned into a place with some fences blocking a fairly large area of that walkway. Health and safety gone mad? Maybe.