• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New Fencing at Alton Towers

Installing the fences won't have been cheap? But... they're just cheap, plain simple metal fences?

Nobody suggested they did this purely to annoy enthusiasts. Of course there's a reason why they put them in.

They had a choice of what to do with them, and in more or less everyone's opinion, their choice has been the incorrect one.

No one has suggested the fences have been installed to annoy enthusiasts... when it comes to fencing around stairs people just believe it could have been approached differently.

Comment proves the difference between those who only care about the rides in the park, and those whom care about the aesthetics and beauty of Alton Towers.

To add, having seen it in person I think it looks crap.

Rick said:
After seeing the photos, I was wondering if some of the responses were satirising what whiny enthusiasts may respond with, but I fear they're real.

There's a reason for installing stuff like this - it won't have been cheap, they've not done it just to annoy you.

How stupid of me, all this time I thought they did it just to annoy me. Damn.

If you want to get a point across, it's a good idea to not include veiled insults. Your opinion that it's needed for whatever reason, isn't being challenged, you clearly missed the point that most of us are cheesed off with the aesthetics of it and the continuing encroachment of the parks natural access/beauty.

Whilst I am not one who will go purely to enjoy the gardens etc, I am a certified ride whore, the unfettered majesty of the Towers is what makes it totally unique. Take away the natural beauty, the access to roam, the feeling of being away from absolutely everything, and plonk the rides on top of the ground and you have a very, very ordinary theme park.

The fence along the wall to be honest is no big deal now ive seen it. Two people I was with havent been to Towers before. They mentioned about it being needed as they commented on how worn the wall and steps looked.

GaryH said:
how worn the wall and steps looked.

They will be fencing off the steps in the Nemesis queue line next. There are plenty of things far more dangerous in the park than that wall and steps.

Ian

Look, lets be realistic here - the steps in the Nemmie queue line have a fence around them.

The wall and steps in question however, have no wall next to them and are worn. It would only take one person to fall off the edge, or down the steps and sue Towers. The fence, disagree with it or not, was the cheaper option!

I just dont know how steps and walls, slopes and other surfaces are even allowed in the park these days.

I literally worry myself to sleep concerned about if a guest might stumble and wobble upon a rock in the gardens. And the children! WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!

--

I joke, well somewhat, but like most things one small step leads to bigger. How long until the lake becomes fenced off - for safety? Its not a long leap of the imagination.
The gardens with uneven paths, could we lose a lot of access? Not a huge stretch.

I can't remember where it was said, it might have been TT@10, but there are no signs around the lake warning of danger etc. Why is this? Because if they put up signs warning of a danger they would be acknowledging that there is a hazard and then they would be forced to put a fence around the lake by H&S. If they do ever fence off the lake it will be a travesty!

:)

No one is making AT put fences everywhere, the health and safety executive have better and more important things to deal with. However, something must have prompted AT to fence the steps as it does look odd and doesn't make much sense given other hazards around the park :S. I am happy to see new fences around the Towers 'moat' however.. :)

Rob said:
I can't remember where it was said, it might have been TT@10, but there are no signs around the lake warning of danger etc. Why is this? Because if they put up signs warning of a danger they would be acknowledging that there is a hazard and then they would be forced to put a fence around the lake by H&S. If they do ever fence off the lake it will be a travesty!

Not quiet true Rob,

Many rivers and lakes have signs up warning of the dangers but aren't fenced off,

Perhaps this fence has come about more from EH than health and safety exe

Spark said:
Rob said:

Not quiet true Rob,

Many rivers and lakes have signs up warning of the dangers but aren't fenced off,

Perhaps this fence has come about more from EH than health and safety exe

All I know is that's what someone at Towers said about the lake and fencing. Whether it is true or not is probably a different matter!

Compared to Thorpe Park I've actually always been surprised how few fences there are aroun the Alton Towers, although this opinion has changed somewhat in recent years.

Like Alistair said, most of the lake has no fences around it, there are still alot of lakes and water features around the gardens which you can access freely, there are walls near the towers themselves which are easy to climb on. At Thorpe Park literally EVERYTHING is fenced off. Their H&S (possibly due to the type of guuests Thorpe attracts) is insnae. I used to love sitting by the Thorpe lake relaxing on the grass, now all you see in this area is the trademark Thorpe Park wooden fences with slanted posts and wire meshing.

Alton Towers still allow guests to access alot of historical and beautiful areas unrestricted and unsupervised. I just really hope this doesn't continue to change at the rate which it has been over recent years :/

Something I noticed whilst visiting also, is that although this walkway is now fenced off - the gardens next to it (which originally was completely fenced off all the way until the bridge) is now open and free to walk around. Woo!