• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New UK emergency alert system discussion

I received it, and I got a rather loud siren noise despite my phone being on silent, so it clearly overrode the silent setting on my phone!

For some idea, I’m on BT Mobile (which uses the EE network).

I’m on Smarty and did get the alert, but only as a notification with no sound (it wasn’t on silent).

I wasn’t sure if I’d get it at all as 3 network coverage is a bit patchy where I am, only get 2 bars signal if I’m lucky when I’m at home. I rely on wi-if to send texts and make calls in the house.

Last edited:
I received it, and I got a rather loud siren noise despite my phone being on silent, so it clearly overrode the silent setting on my phone!

For some idea, I’m on BT Mobile (which uses the EE network).
It's been well pubicised that it will override the silent setting, although some people have reported not getting the siren at all and just the message. (like @BigShadowtinytree just posted above)

We were in Big Pizza Kitchen at the Pleasure Beach at the time, it seemed to go off for most people in there.

Mine was read to me in a very irritating American accent, is that standard or dependent on your phone ?

We were in Big Pizza Kitchen at the Pleasure Beach at the time, it seemed to go off for most people in there.

Mine was read to me in a very irritating American accent, is that standard or dependent on your phone ?
Think it varies by phone, some will read it out while others won't.

I'd expect more test in the future. Clearly a few issues.

It scared the dog, the guess the tone was a little high pitched.

Interesting thing though. Even if it has set off the tin foil brigade.

It was very well publicised that it was happening and if you needed to sleep or had a secret phone it should be turned fully off not just on silent. Those on night shift that needed sleep should have turned their phone off.
Or been on Three then it wouldn’t work anyway.

All well and good unless you needed to set an alarm to be fair.

I had a laugh at the local Facebook group.

Usual moans about "it's a intruding on our privacy"

One even moaned it scared the kid as it didn't know it was going to happen!!!!! My nephew is austistic and my brother took great lengths to explain what was happening. So that's on you, over protective parent.

Amazing how some who didn't get the alarm, without turning things off. Celebrated the fact.