• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

New Website

Not to much of a fan of it, It is mostly aesthetically pleasing however it just lacks in function, finding simple information that could be done quickly before now takes a lot longer to do. Oh well.

Looks like the Heritage part of the site has gone missing too. Checked about a week ago and it had gone and still no sign of it. Not too sure if the people who put the original content together (Dr Gary Kelsall mainly) will be around as freely available to sort it again on the new website. The content seems to have dwindled a bit over the past couple of years (with regards to heritage) if I'm not mistaken, even before this update.

http://www.the-smiler.com/alton-towers-heritage/

Found all the Heritage stuff. Although for some reason it's under the-smiler.com url and on the old website layout. Hope they get it on the new site in some way!

Looking at the website again today they really need to sort the website out over the coming months. The amount of pixelated images particularly looks horrendous. It makes fan sites look more professional than theirs! Sort it out Towers!

Great that they've retained the heritage section, if anything going back on that old site further shows how hard to navigate and useless the new website is!

I think they forgot about the smiler url linking to the old site. Watch it dissappear now it been mentioned on here

Reactions: Tom
Trying to read the homepage is a nightmare, let alone anything else.

Interesting that they have what appears to be the whole of the old site online still but under "the-smiler.com" url. I've not been on the tragic new site since it launched, I pray they make changes before March.

:)

I'd be surprised if they would be allowed to remove the heritage stuff off the site. You'd hope that they would be required to have it.

I see they've finally made the hotel booking pages mobile friendly (they weren't when the new site launched) but they are pretty terrible to navigate still...

I'm trying to use the new site to find out more about the spa. It's nowhere near as good as what it once was :(

Is it just me or do some of the images on the website now look vastly better in terms of quality?

Is it just me or do some of the images on the website now look vastly better in terms of quality?
I can't tell if that is sarcasm or you being serious... xD Most images look appalling in quality

I can't tell if that is sarcasm or you being serious... xD Most images look appalling in quality

Allow me to emphasise the point I made in my post.

Some.

That doesn't imply every image on the website is perfect because it's far off, but I've noticed that a small collection of them are much better. The Sonic, Charlie and all minus one on the Towers pages for example.

Some images are better, but the main issue is the images look OK when they are small, but on ride pages they are also used as background images, most of them are too poor of quality to work as a large image and are therefore blurry.

There are also still images of the pirate ship and haunted house on some pages on the site, as well as a mixture of some rides having proper photos, but others having photoshopped promotional images and then Hex with its chained tree!

Well it's March and the website still looks a mess. Get those pixelated images sorted... just opening up the main page the Octonauts header image looks very low quality on my PC monitor.

Well it's March and the website still looks a mess. Get those pixelated images sorted... just opening up the main page the Octonauts header image looks very low quality on my PC monitor.
Does on my iPad too.

Last edited by a moderator:
well I have found an interesting oddity on the website. I was looking for the Disabled access area of the site and all i could find was the frequently ask question bit in help centre. and in some answers it says "Please refer to the disabled access section of the web site."

I would do if there was a link to it!!!!!!