• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oakwood Discussion

I think I'll make an effort to get down there this year, always have a good time at Oakwood and Megafobia in the dark is great.

The only thing that really puts me off is the ten hour round trip with fuel hovering around the 180p a litre mark.

I’ve not been to Oakwood before and I’d love to ride Megafobia. However it’s quite a long journey from where I live and besides the obvious big three of Megafobia, Drenched, and Speed it doesn’t actually seem as though there is so much there of interest there to tempt me in to making the 6.5hr drive there from the North East.

I’ve been thinking that for me to get a woody fix it’s much easier for me to fly to Dublin and visit Tayto park. For the people that have ridden both how does Cu Chulainn compare to Megafobia?

They’re both pretty different but overall I’d say that Megafobia is the best.

As well as the three rides you mentioned, Oakwood has several unique and quirky attractions such as Bobsleigh, Waterfall and Treetops.

Oakwood is one of those parks that I’d say every enthusiast in the UK should try to visit, if only once, because there’s something very unique about the place, which makes it stand out as somewhere unlike any of the other UK parks.

I’d say it’s well worth a visit just for Megafobia. Not to mention that they have a couple of ex-Camelot credits to gain in the old dragon coaster and their log flume.

There isn't much there. It's a park that can be completed in 3 hours. For a woodie fix, I'd suggest flying to Ireland. If I was you however, I'd be on one of the cheap Newcastle to Krakow flights and going RMC hunting

Granted, I live closer to Oakwood than a lot of enthusiasts (being less than 10 miles from the South Wales border, Oakwood is only around a 2.5 hour drive for me), but I'd certainly recommend a trip. Megafobia isn't my favourite coaster, and I do find it a bit too rough on the back, but I do think it's quite fun up front, and certainly worth a try. I prefer Wicker Man within the UK by some distance, but I think Megafobia is a significant enough coaster that it still warrants a try, personally.

And Speed, whether you like it or not, is a fairly impressive coaster as well; it's the UK's biggest Euro-Fighter by some margin, and that first hill is epic!

Potentially controversial opinion coming up; I personally believe that Oakwood contains the UK's two best individual pops of airtime in Speed's hill and Megafobia's first drop on the back. Both are pretty insane, and if you're searching for some elusive UK airtime, I've got to say that Oakwood is one of the first parks I'd recommend!

The Pembrokeshire area as a whole is also lovely for holidays; it's been my family's favourite seaside spot for years! So if you're concerned about driving miles just for Megafobia; why not make a holiday of it and visit Oakwood while you're there?

There isn't much there. It's a park that can be completed in 3 hours. For a woodie fix, I'd suggest flying to Ireland. If I was you however, I'd be on one of the cheap Newcastle to Krakow flights and going RMC hunting
Or much better for the planet to not fly and just do Oakwood...
Time the cheap flights died.

Like @Matt N I live a lot closer to Oakwood than a lot of people here and it can be done as an easy 2-hour stint along the M4. But if you've not been before it's well worth ticking off, perhaps as part of a longer stay in Pembrokeshire which really is a beautiful part of the country. It's also right next to Bluestone resort which has a water park and other activities. Megafobia and Speed are well worth ticking off, and the park also has some fun water rides if you're there in the summer. It's not going to blow you away though, and 3-4 hours is as long as you'll probably need/want to spend there.

Speed is actually pretty fun, 1 train operations aside. Megaphobias layout dumps all over Wickermans. As there's no need to rush around and park hours are reasonable during the summer, it can be quite a chilled out day and parts of the park are full of charm. I've never been to Flamingo land for the same reason as some of those who live some distance from Oakwood. I just can't justify the 10 hour round trip. Perhaps I should have done it when I briefly worked out of Yorkshire in hindsight.

Like @Matt N I live a lot closer to Oakwood than a lot of people here and it can be done as an easy 2-hour stint along the M4. But if you've not been before it's well worth ticking off, perhaps as part of a longer stay in Pembrokeshire which really is a beautiful part of the country. It's also right next to Bluestone resort which has a water park and other activities. Megafobia and Speed are well worth ticking off, and the park also has some fun water rides if you're there in the summer. It's not going to blow you away though, and 3-4 hours is as long as you'll probably need/want to spend there.
I live in Pembrokeshire so Oakwood is down the road for me. But yes, I’d recommend staying for a few days to explore other landmarks in the area and not just Oakwood.

It's also right next to Bluestone resort which has a water park and other activities. Megafobia and Speed are well worth ticking off, and the park also has some fun water rides if you're there in the summer.

It appears that the Bluestone water park has changed its policy this year and is only available now to guests staying at the resort rather than anyone being allowed to visit which seems like a very disappointing move. Apparently local families are very unhappy with this.

https://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk...k-restricts-visitors-bluestone-resort-guests/

It appears that the Bluestone water park has changed its policy this year and is only available now to guests staying at the resort rather than anyone being allowed to visit which seems like a very disappointing move. Apparently local families are very unhappy with this.

https://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/...k-restricts-visitors-bluestone-resort-guests/
Perfect opportunity to stay at Bluestone though and use their facilities while also comitting one day of your stay for a day at Oakwood ;)

Perfect opportunity to stay at Bluestone though and use their facilities while also comitting one day of your stay for a day at Oakwood ;)

I’m more a Premier Inn £40 room kind of person myself, I can’t see myself staying at somewhere like Bluestones, rather use the money for a theme park trip elsewhere to be honest. I wouldn’t be surprised though if they end up reversing that policy somewhere down the line though.