Oakwood Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Rob, 21st Dec 2012.

1. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    [​IMG]

I today received this email from Oakwood:

I'm not sure what (if anything) they've had new in the last few years so this has to be good news. You'd imagine they've gone down the route of an IP. They're saying that £4 million is the largest investment in a decade which is great, and probably much needed for the park.

:)

Posted 21st Dec 2012
  2. Scott

Scott Former TS Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I saw this on their Facebook this morning and hadnt got around to posting it.

It's been years since I've been to Oakwood but I remember it being a solid park when I did visit. However they haven't had much new in a long time so this sounds like a promising investment for the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Posted 21st Dec 2012
  3. CoasterCrazyChris

CoasterCrazyChris TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    The last investment at Oakwood was the eurofighter SPEED in 2006.

Posted 21st Dec 2012
  4. James

James TS Founding Member

No IP will be a very big risk, as Oakwood does not have the appeal of other parks. But still, great to see that they are finally investing into the park. It's been left the same for far too long now. I'm glad they're starting to add and improve the park.

Posted 21st Dec 2012
  5. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Paulton's Park went for an IP, and they are/were even smaller than Oakwood in terms of visitor numbers.

I'm just a bit worried that £4m doesn't get you much these days. I wonder what the water ride will be? They don't have a rapids, maybe a Storm Surge-style thing?

Err, Speed in 2006...? I'm pretty sure that was more expensive than £4m...

Posted 21st Dec 2012
  6. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    According to Wikipedia, Speed cost £3 Million

Posted 21st Dec 2012
  7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Saws ride hardware was only £4.5m...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Posted 21st Dec 2012
  8. Lordy

Lordy TowersStreet Member

They dont have a Log Flume either. I'm interested to see what this water ride will be, as they already have one of the most spectacular water rides in the UK.

Posted 21st Dec 2012
  9. Lottie.

Lottie. TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Zadra, Energylandia
    It seems like this will be a good investment for the park, having never visited Oakwood - need to get myself there for Megafobia and Speed :p

Interesting how they're going to be creating a new 'spectacular water ride', considering they already have Drenched. Not sure how they can top that - I'm sure it is possible. :)

Posted 21st Dec 2012
  10. thefatone

thefatone TowersStreet Member

Probably spectacular as in - the middle ground between getting annihilated (Drenched) or going down a waterslide (Whatever it's called). So essentially hopefully something like a rapids or a log flume..

As long as whatever they install are permenant attractions and not fairgroundy like lightwater, then it'd be perfect. Revisited the park this year for their fireworks event, and the park has so much potential and, for the first time in years, money. Let's hope it works out for them.

11. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Photos from Oakwood's Facebook. :)

[​IMG]

"Clearing underway!"

[​IMG]

"The snow & ice hasn't slowed us down with our plans and we're making great progress with the ground works!"

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I take it that it's opening mid season rarther than at the start of the season?

13. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    This photo really shows the insane difference in hight between Speed's first drop and the airtime hill :D

14. EC!!

EC!! TowersStreet Member

Oakwood have ordered the rides and are going to reveal them this month and they will be ready and open by about April/May this year. There are about 5/6/7 rides that Oakwood have ordered, I think there will be some Huss rides like a Frisbee (standard, XL, or Giant but most likely standard) an enterprise (or even one of those Fly Away's) or a top spin. Then I think they will have some Fabbri or Zamperla rides. It would be nice to see a Vekoma boomerang or invertigo but I'm being optimistic. Anyway what does everybody think and what rides do you want there and what do you expect?

Posted 2nd Feb 2013
  15. Lordy

Lordy TowersStreet Member

Mingo's Wild Mouse would go down well at Oakwood.

But in saying, most medium sized second hand coasters would go down well in all of our smaller parks.

Posted 2nd Feb 2013
  16. Maelstrom

Maelstrom TowersStreet Member

i would expect we will see a collection of Zamerla rides, much like we have seen in thomas land at DMP and Nick land at BPB. The water ride they mention will prob end up being one of their new products which is a cheaper version of a Mack twist and splash. The other rides will prob be the ussual Crazy bus, samba balloons, kids drop tower, rockin tug, dumbo style ride and maybe a disco.

It would be nice to see something more family/thrill friendly but i wouldnt expect much more than the above.

Posted 2nd Feb 2013
  17. Adam James

Adam James TS Contributor

Favourite Ride:
    Blue Fire
    By 'spectacular water ride', it's most likely to be a splash battle or Mack Twist 'n' Splash considering the budget.

Posted 3rd Feb 2013
  18. Harv

Harv TowersStreet Member

Cheeky dig at Alton? ;)

But, yeah, I like these new IP kids' areas that keep springing up. I'd love to see Bob the Builder but considering Welsh area, Fireman Sam could be good, with plenty of potential for a water ride involving a good soaking from hoses. :)

Posted 3rd Feb 2013
  19. EC!!

EC!! TowersStreet Member

Posted 3rd Feb 2013
  20. Adam James

Adam James TS Contributor

Favourite Ride:
    Blue Fire
    Posted 3rd Feb 2013