• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oakwood Discussion

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
Oakwood2013Logo.png

I today received this email from Oakwood:

Oakwood said:
Oakwood Theme Park has announced ambitious plans for a massive new investment programme for 2013.

The Pembrokeshire attraction is to spend more than £4 million creating a major new family park area - featuring a series of new rides and experiences. The attraction will also include a family friendly restaurant and café alongside outdoor play areas and themed retail experiences.

Park Director Dominic Jones said: "This represents by far the largest investment at the park for more than a decade and is a direct response to visitor feedback we have received.

"As well as creating a must-see new destination for families, the development also represents a major boost for the local economy and will create a number of new jobs. "It will totally transform the visitor experience and provide a magical new series of attractions aimed specifically at the family market.

"As part of the investment we are also creating family-friendly facilities within the themed area as well as baby-changing facilities, high chairs and microwaves.

"This will be the largest new attraction of its kind in Wales and is the first phase in an ambitious and ongoing programme of investment over the coming years," he added.

The new development will feature seven new rides and attractions, including a spectacular water ride alongside a series of children's play areas and other themed attractions. Full details of the new attraction will be released early next year.

Work is set to start on site in the next few weeks with a planned opening prior to the 2013 summer holidays.

Set in 80 acres of spectacular countryside Oakwood is Wales’ biggest family adventure with more than 30 exhilarating rides and amazing experiences to discover.

A unique combination of attractions includes world-class roller, tower and sky coasters, spectacular family rides, children’s themed play areas and so much more.

Oakwood Theme Park will announce more information in early 2013.

I'm not sure what (if anything) they've had new in the last few years so this has to be good news. You'd imagine they've gone down the route of an IP. They're saying that £4 million is the largest investment in a decade which is great, and probably much needed for the park.

:)

I saw this on their Facebook this morning and hadnt got around to posting it.

It's been years since I've been to Oakwood but I remember it being a solid park when I did visit. However they haven't had much new in a long time so this sounds like a promising investment for the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

No IP will be a very big risk, as Oakwood does not have the appeal of other parks. But still, great to see that they are finally investing into the park. It's been left the same for far too long now. I'm glad they're starting to add and improve the park.

James said:
No IP will be a very big risk, as Oakwood does not have the appeal of other parks. But still, great to see that they are finally investing into the park. It's been left the same for far too long now. I'm glad they're starting to add and improve the park.

Paulton's Park went for an IP, and they are/were even smaller than Oakwood in terms of visitor numbers.

I'm just a bit worried that £4m doesn't get you much these days. I wonder what the water ride will be? They don't have a rapids, maybe a Storm Surge-style thing?

Rob said:
Park Director Dominic Jones said: "This represents by far the largest investment at the park for more than a decade and is a direct response to visitor feedback we have received.

Err, Speed in 2006...? I'm pretty sure that was more expensive than £4m...

Saws ride hardware was only £4.5m...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

They don't have a rapids

They dont have a Log Flume either. I'm interested to see what this water ride will be, as they already have one of the most spectacular water rides in the UK.

It seems like this will be a good investment for the park, having never visited Oakwood - need to get myself there for Megafobia and Speed :p

Interesting how they're going to be creating a new 'spectacular water ride', considering they already have Drenched. Not sure how they can top that - I'm sure it is possible. :)

Probably spectacular as in - the middle ground between getting annihilated (Drenched) or going down a waterslide (Whatever it's called). So essentially hopefully something like a rapids or a log flume..

As long as whatever they install are permenant attractions and not fairgroundy like lightwater, then it'd be perfect. Revisited the park this year for their fireworks event, and the park has so much potential and, for the first time in years, money. Let's hope it works out for them.

Photos from Oakwood's Facebook. :)

299640_322508947864864_789790908_n.jpg

"Clearing underway!"

14949_327965047319254_898649801_n.jpg

"The snow & ice hasn't slowed us down with our plans and we're making great progress with the ground works!"

I take it that it's opening mid season rarther than at the start of the season?

Oakwood have ordered the rides and are going to reveal them this month and they will be ready and open by about April/May this year. There are about 5/6/7 rides that Oakwood have ordered, I think there will be some Huss rides like a Frisbee (standard, XL, or Giant but most likely standard) an enterprise (or even one of those Fly Away's) or a top spin. Then I think they will have some Fabbri or Zamperla rides. It would be nice to see a Vekoma boomerang or invertigo but I'm being optimistic. Anyway what does everybody think and what rides do you want there and what do you expect?

Mingo's Wild Mouse would go down well at Oakwood.

But in saying, most medium sized second hand coasters would go down well in all of our smaller parks.

i would expect we will see a collection of Zamerla rides, much like we have seen in thomas land at DMP and Nick land at BPB. The water ride they mention will prob end up being one of their new products which is a cheaper version of a Mack twist and splash. The other rides will prob be the ussual Crazy bus, samba balloons, kids drop tower, rockin tug, dumbo style ride and maybe a disco.

It would be nice to see something more family/thrill friendly but i wouldnt expect much more than the above.

By 'spectacular water ride', it's most likely to be a splash battle or Mack Twist 'n' Splash considering the budget.

Sam said:
From Oakwood's Facebook. :)

"The snow & ice hasn't slowed us down with our plans and we're making great progress with the ground works!"

Cheeky dig at Alton? ;)

But, yeah, I like these new IP kids' areas that keep springing up. I'd love to see Bob the Builder but considering Welsh area, Fireman Sam could be good, with plenty of potential for a water ride involving a good soaking from hoses. :)