• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oblivion "Mist"

Pretty much every time I've been to Alton Towers the mists (at least one ring) has been working and in the last season alone I have felt that the misters have been getting me wetter than ever (oo-er ;)) However, as much as I would love smoke instead of misters, smoke machines are too expensive to run in comparison to misters. Also, there could even be some crazy asthma related stupid health and safety reason that forbids it. [/joke]

On another note, I heard that whilst digging the site for SW7, they ruptured a couple of pipes that lead to the misters and so that could be the reason behind a lack of misters during Scarefest/Fireworks 2012. Not sure how true, but i'll believe it! :)

Ellie said:
On another note, I heard that whilst digging the site for SW7, they ruptured a couple of pipes that lead to the misters and so that could be the reason behind a lack of misters during Scarefest/Fireworks 2012. Not sure how true, but i'll believe it! :)
That could well be true, I certainly don't know, but strikes me as likely that the misters would tap of the system which also feeds FCC, given the close proximity. So, seeing's they didn't appear to have water issues, strikes me as unlikely that this would've been the cause of the mister problems.

The first week of sub terra reopening (v2) it was rumoured to have been costing them £70 A DAY in smoke fluid.

Imagine how much Oblivions would cost..

The mist works perfectly fine, thank you closed season topic/moaning.

I assumed that at some point they changed from dry ice to finely sprayed water; since on opening day the photographs show it to be a lot whiter than it is today, suggesting a different fluid is now used. I agree that using water is the better option because they can just tap it from a pipe supply, rather than constantly refill expensive smoke machines.

And I love the wet mist anyway, it has an industrial greyish look to it and the sensation of it hitting your face as you fall into the tunnel is like nothing else.

The second ring isn't really necessary since it is at the top of the fence, not actually around the whole, and the spray would be thinner because the misters are further apart. but it would fun to see working anyway. It would require them to reattach it because the connecting pipe has been cut – I wonder why/when?

The top ring was removed, hence why there's less mist nowadays to 1998.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I've actually been impressed with the amount of mist over the past season. There isn't quite enough to disguise the track inside but on many days there's been so much that it's been rising out the other end.

Islander said:
Ellie said:
That could well be true, I certainly don't know, but strikes me as likely that the misters would tap of the system which also feeds FCC, given the close proximity. So, seeing's they didn't appear to have water issues, strikes me as unlikely that this would've been the cause of the mister problems.

I also heard that X-Sectors green room had water problems. Again not sure how true, but I guess Wilsy would know :p

Didn't they do something with smoke once before on Oblivion? All I know is that whatever ride it was, it upset security as they couldn't see a thing through any of their cameras.

I'd like to see more mist again. I used to love watching the shuttles disappear before my very eyes as a kid. It's so dramatic and really adds to the atmosphere surrounding the ride.

How much would it be to install a new ring if they're down to one? If they're repainting the whole ride and supposedly doing a bit to the station and shuttles, this would now be a fantastic opportunity to improve the mist effects too.

:)

I don't think reattaching the second ring would conceal the tunnel more, since it way above head height and the misters are further apart. It would mostly be spraying into the air. No matter how many misters there are you would probably always be able to see into the tunnel from ground level anyway, because of the massive suction pulling the vapour down in whenever a shuttle drops (which I think is a brilliant visual effect anyway).

The mist is such a brilliant trick and adds so much to the ride as it is, the cold moisture suspended around the drop inadvertedly creates a wonderfully chilling, sinister environment. Its purpose has expanded to do more than just cover the tunnel.

The top ring really could do with re-connecting, though really for the full effect both rings could do with replacing, or at least having a full clean up. The main issues it has is that over time, as Dave said, limescale builds up in the sprays and blocks them, much like a shower head does if you don't clean it. The problem comes from acessibility. It really isn't the easiest place to get to in a safe manner without a lot of planning and work. The techies did manage to get the lower ring working a few years back after it had pretty much given up the go, but the top ring has been disconnected ever since then. You can see the pipe where it's been disconnected.

The top ring would add a lot more to the masking effect of the hole. Being higher up, and pointed slightly down into the hole when the mist was sprayed it quickly spread along the hole, then the bottom ring is putting more beneith it just to finish the screen off.

The best thing I think they can do is to put two new rings on the hole which have better nozzels to improve the spray, and if possible, reduce the need for regular cleaning. It used to look so much more impressive when the whole of the drop zone filled up with vapour, and the only thing you could see was the silver fence around the hole poking out.

It's a bit of a pain they have to use water really. It ruins the track, and makes to hole look really grimey and horrible after a few years. Smoke would be the better solution, but the costs of it compared to the costs of using pure water really puts it out. But when the water is left to build up it really does have a great effect. They just need to be piping more of it into the hole between shuttles (Something which adding another ring would do).

If for next year they could have both rings of misters working again at full capacity it would just be the icing on the cake! X-Sector is going to look incredible next year, with every attraction in the area being cleaned up, re-painted, and given some general love. The surrounding area really should reflect that too, and this would be an easy way to re-instate an iconic feature of the area. X-Sector, in my opinion, looks set to go from one of the worse areas of the park back to the centrepiece attraction, along with Forbidden Valley :D

Could they not attach a sensor somewhere on the turnaround so that just before you hang over the edge, the misters suddenly fire up the second ring (once re-connected) to create the effect for riders. Then as soon as the shuttle passes through it goes back to being on 'standby' (one ring)?

As Chris has said, it takes a good while for the mist to fully build up. It's quite surprising how much mist each shuttle sucks away, and the effect is brilliant to watch. When a shuttle passes through the hole the rush of air sucks most of the mist down with it, then when the second shuttle of the pair passes through there is mist billowing out of the other side of the tunnel.

But it can take a good 30 seconds for the mist to properly build up a thick layer. If they started the second ring when a shuttle was on the hold brake it would have very little effect, as what small amount of mist it sprayed would be whisked away a moment later.

Plus, if you're going to start putting sensors on the ride it can start to get deathly expensive :p

It's all about what goes on when the shuttles are not there though which creates the effect. They need to get as much mist over the hole in the time between shuttles as possible, which when the ride is running flat out isn't awfully long at all!

electricBlll said:
I assumed that at some point they changed from dry ice to finely sprayed water;

I can assure you they never used "dry ice". If they did, it would all sink in to the tunnel and stay there, creating a suffocating cloud of death for the shuttle to pass through ;)

It still has two rings doesn't it? The amount of mist seems to vary, sometimes it's barely there, sometimes there's a fair amount, but they usually turn it all the way up for special occasions like Scarefest, fireworks and the first day of the season.

It's not a matter of special occasions, if they are pounding the through-puts it struggles to keep up the mist. If you watch it actually increases mist out-put just as a train reaches drop break.

Ian said:
As Chris has said, it takes a good while for the mist to fully build up. It's quite surprising how much mist each shuttle sucks away, and the effect is brilliant to watch. When a shuttle passes through the hole the rush of air sucks most of the mist down with it, then when the second shuttle of the pair passes through there is mist billowing out of the other side of the tunnel.

I've been told that I should keep adding videos to a minimum, but I believe that this one will explain how the shuttle sucks the mist.

watch it from 0:50

Alton Towers - OBLIVION off ride - BEST QUALITY - Top One Scarefest 2011

DiogoJ42 said:
I can assure you they never used "dry ice". If they did, it would all sink in to the tunnel and stay there, creating a suffocating cloud of death for the shuttle to pass through ;)
Whoops, I think I was confused with something else...

Here's a still from Magic Factory of the ride on opening day, with the top mist ring visible above John and Ralph.
ScreenShot2013-01-13at215922_zps9bfb9c57.png

Promo image with both rings working. Fantastic if they can get it looking like this in 2013, but as you can see the top ring is a bit superfluous.
oblivion0006.jpg

Here's the remains of the pipe for anyone who hasn't seen it.
IMGP5158_zpsc2f4de2d.jpg

The main reason for why they don't work properly in cold weather is due too the pipe either froze up or pipes just generally too cold to work.

If Oblivion ever breaks down for a while and the misters are working well, you will notice how much mist they produce. I was stood there once when it broke and it pretty much covered the whole of the area around the hole.