• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Oblivion "Mist"

Blizzard

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Gotta be Oblivion tbh!
Just thought with the X-Sector/Oblivion revamp I'd ask what happened to the mist on Oblivion in the past few years. I can remember vividly it being pretty much impossible to see beyond the holes entrance from on the ride. Now you theres pretty much no mist & you can see the track leveling off. It spoils the illusion of "The Unknown" which is what Oblivion is all about.

I haven't kept track of exactly how long the mist has been gone. But is there anyone who knows why the mist isn't used much anymore, & when the park started lessening the ammount of mist?

:D

I've been to Alton Towers more than 30 times last season, and just one or two times there was no mist.

I'm not really sure when it started being lessened, but I have a feeling it could be to do with a lack of maintenance. I hope that it gets sorted over the closed season, as it'd help a lot with the repaint as well.

Id imagine it will be well and truly misting for 2013 - Alton seem determined to have X-Sector as a jewel in the crown so Im expecting the mist to be working.

I believe it's a lime scale issue origionally. 2008 the misters barely worked and they got one ring working. There are two rings but one hasn't worked in years.

I wish they would replace it with a smoke machine. I hate getting a face full of water on Oblivion. It's like being slapped in the face with a wet fish.

DiogoJ42 said:
I wish they would replace it with a smoke machine. I hate getting a face full of water on Oblivion. It's like being slapped in the face with a wet fish.
Smoke would be loads better, mist when it's cold is horrible.

Surely it'd cost an absolute fortune to maintain with smoke though! I imagine the mist being water-based means it's easy to get a fairly constant stream, but imagine the cost of the smoke fluid for solid operation all day every day?

There were two sets of misters originally - the second one hasn't worked in many years.

I really like the cold spray in the face you get, seems to heighten the intensity of the drop.

:)

People moaning about oblivions mist working?

Does not compute.

If they could get it looking like this again, I'd be thrilled! (pardon the pun!)

oblivionhole_zps5a99b5fb.png

That photo was from opening day, but it does show what a great effect the mist can have!

Magrathea said:
Surely it'd cost an absolute fortune to maintain with smoke though! I imagine the mist being water-based means it's easy to get a fairly constant stream, but imagine the cost of the smoke fluid for solid operation all day every day?
If Paultons Park can afford to create two "Pound Land" smoke outs per ride cycle on Magma, I'm sure the finacial might of Merlin can afford a constant trickle of mist.

It's out in the open, and it has to cover a huge hole (ooh err). It's often very windy. Using a smoke machine to the degree that it'd provide a decent effect would be very wasteful.

The face full of water is an essential part of the Oblivion experience, and kinda neatly ties into the water splash in the 'Marmilisation' process. :)

All the times I've been this season it's been on? I remember one trip my day feared the mist on his glasses as much as the drop!

Do you know what I dont like the Nemesis water being red.

I hate closed season. :(

The hole is pretty well sheltered from the wind, having large concrete walls on three sides. If the smoke were pumped in to the hole a meter or two lower than the current mist, it would linger perfectly well.

The shuttles going down the drop disrupts the mist, I'd imagine it would do exactly the same for smoke.

If you ever see Oblivion's hole after the ride has stopped for a little while the mist builds up a fair amount, it just naturally goes away when there are shuttles going down the hole every 30 seconds.

Reattaching the 2nd ring of misters would help a lot, I think.

As for people complaining about the wetness, it's really not that bad...

It's a pain in the rear end for people with glasses :(. Much prefer Oblivion without the water-based mist, as I can actually see once I'm out the other side, rather than having to clear my glasses.

Smoke would definitely be much better, but the cost (in the region of a few thousand pounds I'd imagine) would be prohibitive :(.

I'd love them to have both rings of misters working next season. I see the mist as a big part of the Oblivion experience, it adds that little extra thing to the drop. The mist has been working pretty well over the last couple of years on one ring to be fair. Though if they could get it back to how it was in the photo posted on the previous page then it would be great!