• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Older Members

Well I'm old enough to remember corkscrew opening! And I've been going to AT and other theme parks for 30 years.
I'm still a big kid at heart and believe your as old as you feel not as you old as you look.

I'm 39 by the way.

I'm one of those who won't have an age beginning with 1 or 2 for much longer! I turn 30 towards the end of April. I have absolutely no intention of giving up theme parks or coasters any time soon. My husband and I often see older (50-60+) couples when we are at Towers and hope that we are the same at that age...except I hope that we'll be surrounded by the TST people!

I notice there seems to be a lot of young 'uns trying to get in on the older members thread! 'Almost 30' doesn't quite cut it I'm afraid - come back when you're old enough to be here! :p

I feel a special mention should be made for Bench Addict. He may be only young, but he's and old fart on the inside. :p

I agree Pixie, there's far too many young uns here for my liking. When I were their age.... {drifts off mumbling about coal mines and outside toilets...}

Perhaps Alton Towers is missing a trick here, instead of that ill fated Muslims only day that never happened they should have an over 35's only day instead, then us older theme park enthusiasts could have a nice relaxing day at the park without tripping over hoards of teenagers in offensive t shirts dry humping each other in the queue line for Smiler.

Just a thought... ;)

It always baffles me, that even when you visit a park on a school day, there are still thousands of kids swarming round. Why aren't they in school? And I'm not talking about school trips either. That's another rant, in my day, school trips were to museums, not theme parks...

True that !
There are that many inset and teacher training days per school term now that the average kid is actually in school for a maximum of six and a half days per year(may not be based on actual data).

Although to be fair my first trip to Alton Towers was with school, the year the Corkscrew opened, was it 1980 ?
I think they'd just shipped us dumb kids there for the day while the clever ones did exams or something intellectual.

To prove just how dumb , one of my fellow pupils managed to remove most of a finger on the Alpine Bob sled ride. I can't remember how exactly, I think he poked it in the lift chain that dragged the empty sleds back up the hill, but I do remember there was a lot of blood and it was really really funny ! ;D

Yep, schools were positively encouraged to bring pupils to the park in the 80s under the disguise that it was 'educational'. I've got some of the schools' packs from the 80s and they have Geology and Physics worksheets inserted in them, as if they were seriously going to be used.

I'm only 20 years old, but I've been visiting AT for them many years also. I don't plan on giving up visiting parks when I actually am old either.

To the very end, tbh! :p

My age begins with a 2 but it's closer to beginning with a 3 than it is a 1. I wouldn't worry about age, you're a long time dead so simply enjoy life and don't get hung up on age consciousness.

I am a member of the 3 club and still enjoy the parks. I think in the coming years I am going to enjoy them even more, although I can see the morning afterwards getting spent in bed, rather than rushing for ERT :)

Ian

It when you make clicking sound getting up the next day, you start think about your age.

Well im getting into late 30's now and been going to alton without fail every year since 1993. I still enjoy going, and I will continue to go until I am unable to. Personally, I still hope to be shuffling around alton with my zimmer frame and annoying all the young un's by getting priority entrance through the disabled queue for whatever mega coasters may be around in the future!!

I'm pleased to see I'm not the only older person then, perhaps Alton Towers is missing a trick here. Maybe they should add an extra carriage to the Smiler trains that allows room to drive a couple of those electric shopping buggies straight onto the ride. Just a simple clamping system to hold them in place and there you have it, an excellent way for old people like me to continue to enjoy the thrill rides !

You'd have to empty the little shopping basket on the front first of course, or your Werthers Original mints would be lost before the first lift hill but that's the only drawback I can think of.

It's both brilliant and simple, maybe I should patent the idea before that Wardley bloke thinks of it... :/

Starts with a 4 here and can truly say i can remember when AT was all fields.

Have been on quite a few meets and can say i have enjoyed them all.
Nothing wrong with being an oldie. so long as you enjoy the parks, age really doesn't matter.

Wow, looks like I'm not the only one in the 30's club - been reading the forums for many a year, now it looks like it's time to actually post then!

I'm 45 so it seems the oldest so far lol.

Only really been into coasters etc for about 7 years so still acting like a big kid and embarrassing my adult children :p

cubwolf said:
I'm 45 so it seems the oldest so far lol.

Only really been into coasters etc for about 7 years so still acting like a big kid and embarrassing my adult children :p

Sorry cubwolf but I can beat that. 47 so the oldest wrinkly so far...

First went when corkscrew opened and still love the place.

I'm 45 so definitely in the older member category.

Shockadelica said:
Yep, schools were positively encouraged to bring pupils to the park in the 80s under the disguise that it was 'educational'. I've got some of the schools' packs from the 80s and they have Geology and Physics worksheets inserted in them, as if they were seriously going to be used.

I remember doing one of those geology papers back in the early 80's, we had to hand them in completed by lunch time otherwise we had to spend the afternoon sitting on the bus. There was also detention for anyone who didn't check back in at lunch time (I know, it was the only time I deservedly got detention as I was 40 minutes late).