• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

OTT Swearing Censorship in the Shoutbox?

Adam

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Smiler
Following a discussion in the shoutbox, I feel this issue deserves a topic. In my (and others, from what I've gathered) opinion, the current rules against swearing in the shoutbox are too strict.

I'm aware the site has an image to maintain, and I don't think swearing in the theme park section should really be allowed. However, in the case of the shoutbox I feel that the team is too strict towards people swearing. Obviously if someone swore every other word for no reason, that'd be pretty bang out of order. However, why does the team thing that people swearing every so often is such a big issue?

The main arguements, from what I can tell, are:

1) Site Image
2) People being offended
3) Kids seeing swear words

In regards to these three points, my counter arguments are:

1) Only users can see it. And seen as it's not the site that would swear, it'd be individual users, I fail to really see how it can be seen as effecting the sites image.
2) How many people, honestly, are going to see someone they've probably never met say the "f word" and get offended by it?
3) If you're too young to not know what swear words are, you're too young to be browsing the web on your own. And besides, most 11 & 12 year olds know most swear words anyway. I know I certainly did back then.

Please don't take this as me trying to start some revolution against the team just for not liking swearing, I'm just sharing my views. After all, this is the site that cares about what the members think right?

:)

It's similar to the stuff that's in The Tavern; only members can see it, and although you should be over 18 to go in there anyone of any age can still do it regardless.

There is no way of warning people about shout box content or allowing people to avoid shout box content as a member as it is in the index page. Although anyone can get in Tavern as a member there is a warning and you don't have to go in there (and even if you do there is then the topics list before you reach content as well).

The shout box is not a chat room its a shout box, It sits on the index page and has no gate-keeping like the Tavern has. Therefore its standard has to be to a certain level.

I think we can come across right without needing to swear in there........

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

Can we not talk without swearing? Are we incapable of not using expletives in every sentence?

Swearing is a choice, you can easily have a conversation without it so the shoutbox rule is easy to obey. While the counterarguments are valid, there really is no need to have to swear all the time - I honestly don't see the problem. If you want to use such words there is the Tavern or you can replace the word with another one that will not offend.

Plus some people get offended by swearing - that hasn't seemed to have been covered.

I think swearing should be banned across the forum, even in the over 18 areas.

There is no need for it, when writing something. I understand when talking, or in certain situations, words can slip out, but when posting on the forum, there is plenty of time to delete and remove the words.

I don't think swearing adds anything to a post, that could not be put across using other words.

Ian

Some of those thanking, or posting, against swearing in here have actually posted answers to the <censored>-in rides thread!! ;D

You know who you are hahahaha!! ;)

Even I think some things are taken too seriously in here, that is from Mr Runner Up Serious Member Award Almost but not quite winner!

;D

TheMan said:
Some of those thanking, or posting, against swearing in here have actually posted answers to the <censored>-in rides thread!! ;D

You know who you are hahahaha!! ;)

;D

You mean the thread in The Tavern where swearing is fine, its all about location and context and I think the point is in your post TheMan when you identify the location its okay to swear in.

Anyone who has been to a meet will testify swearing is not a stranger to members and the team but on this forum we like to maintain areas that have a universal appeal as well as areas for those who like their humour more blue.

Dave said:
You mean the thread in The Tavern where swearing is fine, its all about location and context and I think the point is in your post TheMan when you identify the location its okay to swear in.

Anyone who has been to a meet will testify swearing is not a stranger to members and the team but on this forum we like to maintain areas that have a universal appeal as well as areas for those who like their humour more blue.

Yeah, but I was referring (tongue in cheek) to the suggestions it should maybe be banned across all areas.

I actually get completely why you don't want it in Shout Box - I understand both points, but am not fussed either way. I don't need to swear to get my points across, but it is cathartic and helpful at times ;D

There are so many arguments worth having. This is not
censored.gif
one of them.

Before I joined TTF, I used to have a bad habit of swearing unnecessarily. When I did join TTF, I used put Swear words in my posts, but I remember getting a PM from Joel telling me that swearing wasn't allowed on the forum (I was a newbie at the time). Since then, I've managed to control my swearing on here and back on TTF as well.

However despite saying that, It's really only TST which I can control my swearing. On other websites (Such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, DeviantART for example) I still tend to swear a lot, but not as such as where 50% of the words in my posts were swear words. I do find it a bit weird when a TSTer that I'm friends with on Facebook or Twitter swears on there because I'm use to them not swearing on here! =P

There is a right place and the right time and context for swearing. Such as in The Tavern where there's a topic that you can replace a ride name with the C word, or the corrupt ride names topic which contains a lot of swearing. I personally don't think that Swearing affects kids on the forum around the ages of 11 and 12, as it is very likely that they already know explicit words (For instance, I've been swearing since I was around 7 or 8 years old).

Just my thoughts on this whole situation.

=)

They're just words. Christ, are we really that precious? Excessive swearing, sure, but the odd, well employed f-bomb can make or break a point. If you're one of those people that believe swearing automatically makes your point false and worthless, you should probably realise the 50s are over.

I really don't see the problem. Just set the shoutbox to be minimised and advised 18+ if we're really worried about protecting kids from words they hear and use every day outside with actual voices and not just symbols.

I don't think there is a need for swearing in the shoutbox, but what may I ask will adding a swear into your post in the shoutbox, I like shoutbox the way it is.

So your happy for Racist, Homophobic and other discriminatory and offensive words to be used freely in the forum because they are just words?

I still feel that, there are better words to use, other than swear words, to get how strongly you feel across.

I have not seen anyone convince me that allowing swear words on the forum improves the content, improves the discussion, and makes the forum a more enjoyable place. I would go as far as saying that it makes the content worse, it leads to more aggressive and arguments taking place, and makes the forum less enjoyable.

Ian

When we started TowersStreet, the issue is one thing that we considered when we were looking at our member expectations. Although some (including myself personally) are not particularly offended by swearing, there are plenty of people who are. For that reason, we took the decision to ask people not to swear on the majority of the forum.

Many of the other reasons for deciding this have been touched on in this topic already. Swearing can sometimes make posts seem more aggressive and can subsequently be misinterpreted, I would also agree that there are plenty of ways to put a point across without using such words. There is then of course the issue of younger people reading the forum, and even for some - reading the forum at work depending on how strict their employers may be.

That said, for many swearing forms part of their normal interactions with their friends in social situations. The Tavern, as the name suggests is the place for pub humour, it's all intended to be very laid back, fun and cheeky. For that reason, we allow swearing in that forum, along with the warnings that it's not safe for work.

I'd say the setup we have overall now gives the best of both worlds. Not allowing swearing outside of the Tavern encourages people to think about how they word their posts to create worthwhile discussion, prevents issues with our younger members, those overly strict employers or with things being misinterpreted.

Likewise, the Tavern let's people participate and have a laugh. Sure their may be colourful language from those who wish to - but that's no different to a real life situation where you may be chatting in say a pub or with a group of mates.

As I say to the children I teach, it's not about never swearing, it's about being able to recognise when it is appropriate and controlling it when it is not. In 'real life' I swear, but not overly as it takes away any effect or meaning...you know it's bad (or I'm drunk!) if I swear! I would never swear in front of my parents as they find it highly offensive, and I respect their feelings. I have friends who don't like swearing so I don't swear in front of them. I really can't stand overhearing people swearing loudly in public, especially when it is every other word. To me it just shows a huge lack of respect for those around you and it is totally unnecessary.

A well placed expletive can be a great thing, but what is the point if you shove the f-word in front of every noun you utter?

Like I said at the beginning of my post - great when it's appropriate (The Tavern, and by the way TheMan, my suggestions for '- in rides' were awesome! ;)) totally unneccessary when it's not (the Shoutbox). I don't post in the shoutbox but I do read it and I have to say, it looks very pleasant and civilised in there, absolutely no need for potty mouths!

Pixie-Ro said:
A well placed expletive can be a great thing, but what is the point if you shove the f-word in front of every noun you utter?

Well what would a teacher know anyway, you are too busy snoring behind your desks all day, wishing for snow-days, to be bothered to swear most of the time... Plus the only time I ever went into a "staff room" you were lucky to even hear a noun amongst the effs and jeffs ;)

(Edit: Those points seem to slightly contradict each other... oh well, a teacher will never notice!!)

Plus, noun? Really. Are you an Adjectivist?

I have no more points to make in here, I don't mind either way, but seeing as the right honourable lady mentioned my person, I felt the requirement to retort.

;D ;D

IanB said:
So your happy for Racist, Homophobic and other discriminatory and offensive words to be used freely in the forum because they are just words?

Swearing is different to using hate speech. If someone was to use something homophobic or racist, for example, they are offensive for reasons that can be explained and understood by reasonable people. Using ****, ******* or even ******* **** ***** are usually seen as offensive because that's the way we are bought up. Racist, homophobic, sexist language etc has specific harm in it's very definition.

As Ashlee sort of says, there's no power in swearing. Hate speech is different to swearing because the definition and connotation of the word are used to degrade the people/s it's directed at.

Swear words have no intrinsic power. They're as offensive as we choose them to be. Personally, I don't understand how the f-word is any 'worse' than sex, shag, intercourse, or any other non-taboo synonym, apart from culture deciding it to be.