• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Audio, Lighting and Everything Geeky

The weird thing is it shows thought has gone into it, custom building brackets, but to make something so frankenstein and inappropriate. Plenty of better solutions could've been done.

Bolting speakers straight on to scenery (believe it or not the rocks are only there to look good) should never be signed off.

Good idea to add audio to the rapids, but carried out so inappropriately for a theme park.
Haha, I hadn’t thought of it like that but yeah the bracket for the speaker on the left is so over engineered and ugly! Why would anyone recommend installing a speaker like that!?

…And as for the cabling that goes to it, absolute mess.

Haha, I hadn’t thought of it like that but yeah the bracket for the speaker on the left is so over engineered and ugly! Why would anyone recommend installing a speaker like that!?

…And as for the cabling that goes to it, absolute mess.
Merlin adding exposed cables closely to a water attraction unprotected be like:
3n6o4v.jpg

On a separate note, I'm curious since Merlin no longer use Fluorescent UV tubes, what's the best LED UV light available at the moment that's just as good as normal blacklight for their dark rides, because from what I've seen, LED UV gives off a horrible visible purple light while slightly making the UV paint glow.

The audio project with rapids is not yet finished. Expect those speakers to look better come 18th March.

These pre-opening days are always tepid. In a way, geeks should leave it till the place opens.

Expect those speakers to look better come 18th March.

These pre-opening days are always tepid. In a way, geeks should leave it till the place opens.
Generally true, but I doubt they are going to dismantle the installation and design it in an appropriate way come 18th March. More likely it will be adding bits n bobs to try cover a flaw they let happen.

Last edited:
I mean tbf, what dyou expect them to do… wireless?
emoji14.png

Nothing wrong with or abnormal about cabling by water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is when it's unprotected or not covered in something waterproof. There are obviously sections of wiring placed in tubes to be protected, but most of the ones nearest to the speakers are still exposed, which are also the ones closest to the rapids river. I'm sure it'll be tidied up before the main seasons opening, but we'll have to wait and see.

If you look at @Alex2020 photo on the last page, the left speaker still has a bundle of wiring exposed, but this'll probably be resolved before the main season opens.

I don’t see any exposed copper at all…

Now of course I do see cables, which are most likely outdoor and fully IP rated - something like H07 I imagine. Cable which I have regularly run literally through water when there is no other choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh, you learn something new everyday. Cheers for clarifying that :)

The cable itself will be protected from the elements, there are plenty of cables, especially speaker ones, like this all over towers. Besides, a speaker cable, running to a passive speaker, will not be carrying much power at all. They do not need to, not for a speaker as relatively low powered as that.

Even so, Towers have done this type of thing for decades, they know what they are doing. I have 'unprotected' as you call it, mains powered cable running in my garden. If the cable itself is protected and rated for outdoors, doesn't need putting in anything. Has been fine for 20 years.

I am intrigued to the purpose of these new speakers though. Music? Announcements? Both?

I like how they have placed the larger speaker towards the waterfalls on the attraction. Almost as if they need a more powerful speaker to counteract the sound of water falling? I can hope.....in vein.

Last edited:
Do Alton and Merlin know these exist?

FB7D31CD-9641-4150-B7CD-377D3FC8016B.png
They camouflage well and aren’t as obtrusive as the installation of the new speakers.

I also can’t get over the amount of speakers they’ve added to CRR! There’s literally one every 3 meters… I’m all for investment in park audio but some theming on the ride would be nice too.

Do Alton and Merlin know these exist?

FB7D31CD-9641-4150-B7CD-377D3FC8016B.png
They camouflage well and aren’t as obtrusive as the installation of the new speakers.

I also can’t get over the amount of speakers they’ve added to CRR! There’s literally one every 3 meters… I’m all for investment in park audio but some theming on the ride would be nice too.
I've seen a couple of them scattered around the park, but they look pretty old, so they're probably from the Tussauds days.

I've seen a couple of them scattered around the park, but they look pretty old, so they're probably from the Tussauds days.
Aren't there some in the Th13TEEN queue or am I misremembering?

As Dan has said these are not finished it suggests these will be covered. I would imagine the odd crate or bit of theming will be used.

They might not do it well but until we actually see the final outcome who knows. The outdoor speakers always sounded a bit off to me (don’t know if it’s the plastic), so if these new speakers are well hidden what’s the issue?