• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Hours: Updates and Discussion

They need to make working for towers more attractive if they’re struggling to recruit. Better pay, a decent pension package, more flexible staff transport, maybe even staff accommodation on site or nearby would be a start, it would cost them but that’s life. Long term the benefits would outweigh the cost.

Potential employees have lots of choice in the job market at the moment, there are more vacancies than ever, of course they’re going to choose to work at the supermarket 20 minutes walk away over a theme park in a remote location, which pays the same or less and also requires you to drive (have you seen the cost of fuel??) or get on a bus for an hour to get there.
I would definitely consider applying if they had staff accommodation. I live 42 miles away and don't drive, so it's not possible yet. 😔
I know Drayton has staff accommodation, although it's only for permanent full-time staff.

Last edited:
I think the issue with hours boils down to wages and the demographic of the park’s workforce who do the “work” (I.e not Merlin management etc).

Most of the hosts, operators, entertainers and F&B hosts are in the 18-21 age bracket and are either still at college or sixth form, meaning AT don’t even have to pay them the full minimum wage which kicks in when you’re 23 or over. Also, only around 30% of this age bracket can drive according to ONS meaning they have to rely on public transport or lifts from parents etc. If staff transport is as bad as people are saying, why would anyone want to be commuting/standing around waiting for their bus for 2 or 3 hours a day when only being paid for 6 or 7 hours? This then leads to staff shortages which leads to shorter opening hours. It all has a knock on effect. Based on a host doing a 7 hour day on a 6 hour operating day, at £6.83 (their thresholded minimum wage), they would earn £47.81. That’s not exactly a lot when you add on 3 hours of public transport time.

If the park paid a fairer wage to adults who have rent and mortgages to pay, and most probably their own car, perhaps we’d then see longer opening hours.

Just a point of note regarding Merlin and the minimum wage, I believe they pay all minimum wage staff at the 23+ rate (so £9.50p/h) no matter their age.

Depending on how other local businesses pay 18-23 year olds that might make a Towers job more attractive, but that depends on if the travel costs just wipe that difference out or not.

Just a point of note regarding Merlin and the minimum wage, I believe they pay all minimum wage staff at the 23+ rate (so £9.50p/h) no matter their age.

Depending on how other local businesses pay 18-23 year olds that might make a Towers job more attractive, but that depends on if the travel costs just wipe that difference out or not.
Interesting - I never knew that!

I don't think many places actually do pay the under 21 minimum wage.

For example here is the rates at two local McDonalds.
£ 8.00 - Age 16-17
£ 9.75 - Age 18-20
£ 9.75 - Age 21-22
£ 9.75 - Age 23 +
and this is a different local McDonalds
£ 9.00 - Age 16-17
£ 10.75 - Age 18-20
£ 10.75 - Age 21-22
£ 10.75 - Age 23 +

(no idea why one pays a premium, but its a more rural location near a motorway junction)

Whereas this is the minimum wage.
National Wage £9.50
21-22 Year Old Rate £9.18
18-20 Year Old Rate £6.83
16-17 Year Old Rate £4.81

Paying an 18 year old lower pay for the same work feels wrong nowadays I think. Under 18 is different and there are much more rules on breaks etc for under 18.

But if the job is the same then everyone over 18 should get same pay.

Oh and the real living wage is £9.90 for over 18s and £11.05 in London.

Last edited:
The law is actually 1 day off a week or two every 2 weeks.

The staff get there 2 hours early as that's roughly when the staff transport arrives. Alton being in the middle of the Staffordshire moorlands means it's harder to get there.

It's an hour's bus ride from Stoke, where the majority of staff are, so if they're on 10-4 then they'll be leaving stoke about 7/half 7 to get to the park for 8/half 8 to then head to their area for briefing and then get to the rides and test the rides.

Then if the bus doesn't leave Towers until half 5/6 then thats nearly 12 hours between getting on and off the bus and still have to get home etc.

If as has been said there's a lack of staff to give people rotation to take days off then how can they cope with longer days?

Longer hours would be great but if there's not enough staff then they can't open longer.
I stand corrected on the one day off rule, I was so used to quoting our local government rules for decades!
Surely to god there isn't just a single service from Stoke every day?

I'm unsure but since they cut the 32A service route that it seems that the only public transport available that's suitable are the staff buses that's available or taxis from Cheadle/Uttox.

For example here is the rates at two local McDonalds.
£ 8.00 - Age 16-17
£ 9.75 - Age 18-20
£ 9.75 - Age 21-22
£ 9.75 - Age 23 +
and this is a different local McDonalds
£ 9.00 - Age 16-17
£ 10.75 - Age 18-20
£ 10.75 - Age 21-22
£ 10.75 - Age 23 +

(no idea why one pays a premium, but its a more rural location near a motorway junction)

Because they don't work for McDonald's, they work for the franchisee. The different employers likely have a different pay policy.

Surely to god there isn't just a single service from Stoke every day?

There are two buses each morning, one that gets to Towers at 8 and the next at 10:30.

It starts at Leek and then goes all the way round the world's fair via Stoke stopping at various places. This means people who live 12 miles away in Leek, have to get up before 6am to catch the bus to work if they start any earlier than 10:30 (which most of the staff do).

The bus home isn't much better either, if they can't make the 17:30 one they'll need to wait till 105 minutes after ride close to catch the next. This means even on a 17:00 ride close the staff could be out of the house from 6am to 9pm if they're the first to get on/last to get off the bus.

Last edited:
Exactly my point too! And also added into the mix is the rule whereby a worker has to have a minimum 11 hour break between shifts, how strictly that is enforced by law, and adhered to by employers I don't know.

We know from last season that Towers are quite prepared to do longer hours and I'm sure they'd love to this year. But if they've not got the staff to do that then they can't. Obviously not ideal, but it is what it is.
With regards to working Hours, when i worked at thorpe part of the contract was to opt out of the working time regulations act. Thus loosing the 11h rest break rule, it doesnt apply to 16-18yr olds as they have more stringent employment rules anyhow.

Fright nights being an example we would start 9:30 and problems finish at around 22:30-23:00.

I dont think merlin have ever? split shifts over than break cover starting later in the day.

Merlin’s HQ is in Poole in Dorset so unless they feel like being illegal, they have to obey U.K. employment law, as does any company operating in the U.K.

Management will always say that employees are legally entitled to just a 20 minute break if they work more than 6 hours in one shift, which is the legal minimum as harsh as that sounds.

Whether or not this is enforced or whether employees feel the need to work their break and just eat a sandwich on the go is unfortunately irrelevant if contracts state all employees are entitled to a break.

Employers ultimately win unfortunately.

There are two buses each morning, one that gets to Towers at 8 and the next at 10:30.

It starts at Leek and then goes all the way round the world's fair via Stoke stopping at various places. This means people who live 12 miles away in Leek, have to get up before 6am to catch the bus to work if they start any earlier than 10:30 (which most of the staff do).

The bus home isn't much better either, if they can't make the 17:30 one they'll need to wait till 105 minutes after ride close to catch the next. This means even on a 17:00 ride close the staff could be out of the house from 6am to 9pm if they're the first to get on/last to get off the bus.
That’s shockingly bad in my opinion. No wonder working at towers isn’t a viable option for many.

You would think it would be in towers interest to have a decent bus service (even if it’s just for the staff and not public) to help sort the issues with staff shortages or people not wanting to work there cause of public transport links.
You would also think they would plan the timetable around ride opening and close.

Hours have now been 'extended' everything is now either a 5pm or 6pm so atleast now they're hitting what I'd call the bare minimum.

And 6pm should be the minimum in July there's still some scheduled 4pm closures in July but I doubt it'll be the case.

Hours have now been 'extended' everything is now either a 5pm or 6pm so atleast now they're hitting what I'd call the bare minimum.

And 6pm should be the minimum in July there's still some scheduled 4pm closures in July but I doubt it'll be the case.
6pm is not the bare minimum. That's long hours. 4 is fine for the quiet days and 5 for the busier days. It should only be 6-7 imo if its a busy busy day

yeah seen the 5pm closes for next week going forwards, but feel that means they know they're going to be busier, more school trips etc. So the park is open longer but queues are longer so you get on the same number of rides, so balances itself out

Last edited: