• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Park Hours: Updates and Discussion

But there are a great many people who do not have the option you have of visiting on quiet weekdays, they live in the real world of having essential tasks to do during the week, and your quiet weekdays are not an option for the majority...that's why they are quiet!

But there are a great many people who do not have the option you have of visiting on quiet weekdays, they live in the real world of having essential tasks to do during the week, and your quiet weekdays are not an option for the majority...that's why they are quiet!
Then why are we talking about 4pm closes if most people are unable to go on those days anyway according to you. Surely if you can't visit on those days then the opening times don't matter

I think they could still get away with a 4pm ride close during Oktoberfest midweek if the entertainment still goes on to 7pm. Although it would be significantly better to be at least 5pm ride close and entertainment at least 7pm. They will need to clearly communicate that the park is still open for hours after the queues close though.
Weekends of course should be longer, 6pm ride close and 8pm entertainment as a minimum.

The water rides could also still operate short hours, I doubt many people will want to ride Battle Galleons in the autumn weather, so 11 to 4 is probably plenty for that.

I think they could still get away with a 4pm ride close during Oktoberfest midweek if the entertainment still goes on to 7pm. Although it would be significantly better to be at least 5pm ride close and entertainment at least 7pm. They will need to clearly communicate that the park is still open for hours after the queues close though.
Weekends of course should be longer, 6pm ride close and 8pm entertainment as a minimum.

The water rides could also still operate short hours, I doubt many people will want to ride Battle Galleons in the autumn weather, so 11 to 4 is probably plenty for that.
Last year weekends were 7pm ride close, 8pm Entertainment.

And you'd be surprised at Battle Galleons - a couple of Scarefests ago I was shooting loads of people on it with the £1 shooters (which I recommend by the way, so much more fun!)

Then why are we talking about 4pm closes if most people are unable to go on those days anyway according to you. Surely if you can't visit on those days then the opening times don't matter
You have to rush about though, and it's not exactly ideal. I have someone coming with me whose mobility isn't the best at the moment which will make the usual rushing we have to do even worse. When an office working day is longer than Oktoberfest something is really wrong. My dad has literally just said to me this minute "opening hours shouldn't be that bad, especially when they're putting an event on like that".

Last year, midweek during Oktoberfest was 5pm ride close, 6pm entertainment finish. This felt about right, there was no pressure to rush and we got a good mix of rides and shows, beers etc done.

4pm ride close would have meant more rushing and not as good a day. If they do stick with the advertised 4pm’s I doubt we will bother to make the trip this year, which is a great shame as Oktoberfest has quickly become my favourite time to visit the park.

You assume they would get planning permission for permanent park wide lighting?
Well you'd like to think so, but I'm sure the council and Nimbys would insist 0% of light is emitted into the sky, but there is already permanent lighting of sorts in the form of the lamp posts on the bridge/dam path by the lake, the odd light on buildings around the park, wooden poles in place with string lighting along the Katanga/Gloomy wood path. Not to mention the ugly car-park type floodlights in Dark Forest, X Sector etc.

With lighting designs and technology as it is these days, I'm sure there is a solution to satisfy all parties (locals, council, H&S, Towers and guests)

Depending on what was installed, would be fairly easy to install without a requirement for planning.

I am happy to be proved wrong but as it’s a protected area of natural beauty I believe they need permission for lighting, it was certainly a big part of the enchanted village application (hence all the short down lights).

I am happy to be proved wrong but as it’s a protected area of natural beauty I believe they need permission for lighting, it was certainly a big part of the enchanted village application (hence all the short down lights).

Because it’s part of a larger application, things like lighting will be considered in the context of approvals, for example either via light pollution or secure by design. That falls under the remit of planning because, as I say, it forms part of a wider application.

However for the purposes of just installing a new light, I do not envisage a full application would be required.

I believe for the first time this season I believe ride close has been extended to 7pm today

I’ve always wondered where these extended ride closes are announced? I’m on park now - not seen anything here, plus website and app both still say 6pm.

I’ve always wondered where these extended ride closes are announced? I’m on park now - not seen anything here, plus website and app both still say 6pm.

The app is definitely showing 7pm. If you have notifications and location switched on they usually send out a push notification of extended hours to those in the park too. Plus announcements in the queue lines.

5EEB7AAA-A9D3-48F6-8F7B-F5CDBB1A8AB5.jpeg

Venny's more or less covered it, but yes lighting installations do have to be included as part of wider applications, but not when stand alone. I've dealt with a lot of lighting installations at my place of work over the past few years, and although our local council tends to be quite strict with the whole process (especially as we are situated within green belt), lighting installations alone have never required approval.