• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Paultons Park: General Discussion

Still not really much there for thrill seekers though.

At best Paultons will perhaps get an inverted coaster along the lines of Chessingtons' Mandril Mayhem (maybe extended and jumped up a bit) but they'll unlikely to get anything super tall or intense like Hyperia in the relatively near future (at the same time their upcoming Ghostly Manor dark ride will apply a big face lift to the entry plaza area). And not going onto roller coasters for decades now, I found Paultons' selection thrilling enough to build up my confidence.

Outside of Altons and even Thorpe, there's a looming problem of UK "thrill" parks with giant rides sorely lacking in theming (with Flamingo Land being one of the big offenders).

With this in mind, I’d be intrigued to know; does anyone have any flaws or imperfections of Paultons Park? Or is the park genuinely perfect, and above any kind of criticism? When reading here and other places, it sometimes feels like people think the latter.

I’m not saying that Paultons doesn’t offer a very good product and doesn’t deserve praise, but I do find the complete lack of any kind of criticism or scrutiny quite odd at times.
My main flaw I would say is that some areas are very well themed however older and legacy areas are more like a fairground. I know the park are trying to rectify this and it is a gradual process however let's not forget that in 2003, it is a small theme park for tourists that is comparable to Flambards.

It even had museums that is like the Flambards Victorian and Blitz indoor areas back then which is why I make the comparison to Flambards particularly.

Nowadays, it is equivalent to a 2019 Chessington before Ramases Revenge got removed. It's Ramases equivalent is Cyclonator.

Another flaw apart from the fairground themed areas is Critter Creek, it is wacky however it seems rather odd theme. I am not the target market however I personally think something different with some different rides may have been a bigger success. I'd also say there's too many outdoor tracked vehicle rides, that small train one in Critter Creek wouldn't have been added now I'd say.

One more is that there isn't an arcade that other parks have which I'd think be perfect for the target market of families.

Dark Rides is being worked on so I won't say anymore on that.

Personally, I'd wait and see with the viking area as this is a wild card. I think it could really change things for the park if executed right.

I am hoping that a thrill coaster (as the park's equivalent to Wave and Mandrill) along with a major water ride would be part of this.

Paultons is an excellent family park in nearly all areas.

However, as we’re now being specifically asked for its flaws, I would say that the unthemed areas are way too much of a contrast from the themed ones, making it a really fragmented park.

I appreciate that this is being addressed over time, but I think when you look at the levels of quality in the unthemed areas, I don’t think they can quite justify charging a premium price and promoting the park as a premium experience. It’s just not there yet.

Appreciate that the unthemed areas are kept clean, but the issue lies deeper than then just being unthemed. They’re also very bland, feel lifeless and, as someone has already pointed out, have basically no landscaping.

I have been on unthemed rides at parks elsewhere, where the landscaping, surrounding foliage and natural terrain make it hardly noticeable that they’re unthemed. At Paultons however, you really, really know that these areas aren’t themed, and this is partly due to how exceptional the theming is inside the areas that do have theming. It’s way too much of a juxtaposition.

We’re not just talking about the upcoming Viking area. There’s also the area around Teacups and Kontiki, and the area around the stage and the carousel. These look so bland and lifeless and are crying out for a Tornado Springs retheme. Hopefully this will come. I’m sure it will, to be fair.

I know that it’s basically blasphemy in many peoples eyes to say anything negative about Paultons, so I will stress again that it is a mostly excellent family park.

Another flaw apart from the fairground themed areas is Critter Creek, it is wacky however it seems rather odd theme. I am not the target market however I personally think something different with some different rides may have been a bigger success. I'd also say there's too many outdoor tracked vehicle rides, that small train one in Critter Creek wouldn't have been added now I'd say..

Critters Creek was Paultons management's second attempt at a deeply themed area alongside the Peppa Pig section and was essentially a big redress/rebuild of their prehistoric first kids coasters from the early to mid 1990s and so is now a bit "eh" next to Tornado Springs and Prehistoric Kingdom (but perfectly fine for what it is and aimed mainly at very young children, with a small indoor zoo area being the broadest draw). But they found their footing with Prehistoric Kingdom and gained steam with Tornado Springs (with the potential of catching up with Altons with Ghostly Manor and Viking zone, even with no exact equivalent of the Smiler and Nemesis).

Regarding the unthemed areas, it is true that were it for the theming they've done already, no one would have said much but they look glaringly exposed compared those areas which might make them worse than they look.

I have no doubt the long term plan is to theme all the areas in the park and maybe rebuild the entrance but right now they have other concerns to focus on first but as I said, wait till 2030 and the park will be a different beast; either all themed or will have a thrill coaster to expand the park into the all ages park remains to be seen.

Thanks. Will have to risk the walk of shame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cyclonator is the most restrictive ride there (hence the test seat), the seats are very narrow and difficult to get in and out of. The restraints come down automatically and will be extremely tight. Definitely give the test seat a try first. 😊

The park is a children's park, not a family park. It's biggest failing.
I’d disagree with this. If the whole park had attractions like those in Pepa Pigs World then sure it would be a children’s park. But Storm Chaser, Cobra, Flight Of The Pterosaur, and Cyclonator are all solid family thrill rides that can be enjoyed by anyone. I think we’d all agree that it’s not a thrill seekers focused park but it is most definitely a great family park. Perhaps maybe we have differing opinions of what actually is a “family park” here between members,

Last edited:
I have no doubt the long term plan is to theme all the areas in the park and maybe rebuild the entrance but right now they have other concerns to focus on first but as I said, wait till 2030 and the park will be a different beast; either all themed or will have a thrill coaster to expand the park into the all ages park remains to be seen.

The entrance complex is still pretty new and while soulless looking (like a shopping mall entrance) rebuilding it seems wasteful (more plausibly they'll redress its facade and maybe add another giant sculpture in the front plaza area).

The Cobra coaster is still pretty cool and underrated, with Paultons' real blot on the landscape being the old log flume, a depressing relic that needs to be torn down asap (like Legoland's splash ride) and replaced with either a Cyclonator type flat ride (or another Cobra sized coaster).

Critters Creek was Paultons management's second attempt at a deeply themed area alongside the Peppa Pig section and was essentially a big redress/rebuild of their prehistoric first kids coasters from the early to mid 1990s and so is now a bit "eh" next to Tornado Springs and Prehistoric Kingdom (but perfectly fine for what it is and aimed mainly at very young children, with a small indoor zoo area being the broadest draw). But they found their footing with Prehistoric Kingdom and gained steam with Tornado Springs (with the potential of catching up with Altons with Ghostly Manor and Viking zone, even with no exact equivalent of the Smiler and Nemesis).
You are right, that was one of the earlier themed areas and at the same time, was a practice run for Lost Kingdom which came the year after.

For what it is, it works for younger kids although rather odd and quirky. I definitely think a broader theme and a wide appeal family ride would've made it so much better.

Regarding the unthemed areas, it is true that were it for the theming they've done already, no one would have said much but they look glaringly exposed compared those areas which might make them worse than they look.

I'm thinking the plan is to theme the whole park so that you have different worlds to go to much like Chessington and is also what Drayton Manor are doing.

The goal is to expand to all ages as it was mentioned that the park's management want it so that it is multi-generational that you wouldn't outgrow Paultons.

What it would need is to bring in more thrilling rides in addition to focusing on adding wide appeal family attractions like the Wave Swinger (that they already have), Dodgems, Polyp etc.

I believe they cater very well for kids and I wouldn't be surprised if we see slightly less children's rides in the coming years and any that come in would be different to the ones that they already have or are ones that they can enjoy with the family.

I’d disagree with this. If the whole park had attractions like those in Pepa Pigs World then sure it would be a children’s park. But Storm Chaser, Cobra, Flight Of The Pterosaur, and Cyclonator are all solid family thrill rides that can be enjoyed by anyone. I think we’d all agree that it’s not a thrill seekers focused park but it is most definitely a great family park. Perhaps maybe we have differing opinions of what actually is a “family park” here between members,

4 rides does not make a great day out. There's nothing wrong with being a children's park with a couple of bigger bits, but it isn't a true family park. Towers is probably the best example of one, with Blackpool making a decent attempt at it.

4 rides does not make a great day out. There's nothing wrong with being a children's park with a couple of bigger bits, but it isn't a true family park. Towers is probably the best example of one, with Blackpool making a decent attempt at it.

6 really if you include the Edge flatride and Raptor boomerange coaster (with a much newer log flume in the dino area). It was a solid enough line up for me trying to get back into coasters and the whole place is an easier, closer drive for me than Oakwood, Altons or Drayton (with a plane needed to get to Fantasy Island).

I suppose it all depends on the demographics of your family. Towers is a toddlers and teens park - there’s nothing there really for my adrenaline junkie 5 year olds - even less now with the changed restriction on RMT. Paultons is great for us at the moment and if we lived closer (and were significantly richer!) then we would definitely be passholders. In a few years then Alton will be once again be better for our family but there is a massive gap there for children who have outgrown CBeebies but haven’t hit 1.2m yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very much a family park in the exact same way as Chessington I'd say.

Both parks are not the most thrilling but still is fun for all ages.

Paultons is great for us at the moment and if we lived closer (and were significantly richer!) then we would definitely be passholders.

I'm only around a 1½ to 2 hour drive away from Paultons (not a more daunting 3 to 4 hour drive away like with Altons) and it's adding a new big ride roughly every year or so, and the newish themed areas have progressively gotten more ambitious (so an incentive for return visits).

It's interesting people saying they aren't allowed to criticise the park without getting jumped on. Everyone agrees that there are parts of the park that aren't perfect. Everyone agrees that it's not perfect, and everyone agrees that they are a progressing/transitioning park so that's all to be expected.

Paultons is my local park, so I'm a little bit biased here, but I don't half disagree with the above statement; yes, they aren't perfect. What park is?

The difference is, however, between Paultons and some of the Merlin parks; Paultons are clearly investing and continually improving every year to make the park better. I think the fact that Paultons are investing a lot of money every year, and are willing to improve and regenerate what we all agree are the weaker areas of the park, will mean that people cut them a little slack for those negative aspects of the park as it's clear that they are being worked on. If you have criticisms of a business, but they are willing to address those criticisms to improve, brilliant ... the Merlin parks don't always do that.

They aren't stupid; they know what areas of the park need work, and are willing to engage and fix those areas but it takes time. They're caught in a little bit of a middle ground at the moment, in transitioning from a bare amusement park into a full-blown immersive theme park.

I saw someone mention Critter Creek up ahead; even the park have admitted they'd do that completely different if they done it today.

But to be honest I’m not sure why everyone is so desperate to see Paultons as the David to Merlin’s Goliath, can’t we just enjoy it for what it is, a high quality, lovely little regional park?
I would say the same about Chessington, why can't we enjoy it as a little regional park. The answer in that case is the Tussauds/Merlin annual pass driving more people to the park than the hardware could cope with. Chessington was never meant to be a national park either (thats why Tussauds bought Alton Towers) and it should be closer in style to Paultons, but the national advertising has ruined it.

Alton Towers is the worst example of a poor family theme park compared to Drayton and Paulton’s. Like my son’s just hit 1.1m and he can go on every coaster at Paulton’s and 4/5 coasters at Drayton but at Alton he can only go on Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure and now the runaway train.

Alton Towers is the worst example of a poor family theme park compared to Drayton and Paulton’s. Like my son’s just hit 1.1m and he can go on every coaster at Paulton’s and 4/5 coasters at Drayton but at Alton he can only go on Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure and now the runaway train.
Height Restrictions is definitely one of the things Paultons gets practically right.

Cobra is the one I'd say could possibly be 1m rather than 1.1m with other Gerstlauer Bobsleds being 1m.

Merlin tend to go on the cautious side of height restrictions which could alienate those between 0.9m and 1.4m and result in debates like "Why can't I/my kid ride X ride when Paultons lets me ride it there".

Magma is 1.1m and Croc Drop is 1.2m is an example.

Everyone agrees that there are parts of the park that aren't perfect. Everyone agrees that it's not perfect, and everyone agrees that they are a progressing/transitioning park so that's all to be expected.
One more thing that I would comment on is that I wouldn't have removed/closed Raging River until a bigger and better replacement is in place even if it had to relocate to a temporary spot for 2025 which is doable as it is a portable model.

Splash Lagoon works to complement something bigger much like how Tiger Rock and River Rafts complement each other so cannot say that's adequate.

I'm thinking there is a plan for a water ride replacement (that's not only Splash Lagoon) and that this was an unexpected closure that happened earlier than planned due to a major fault.